Custom Piece - What to Ask?

Primasilva

Professional Procras... I'll finish this later ;-)
One of my friends just told me that he's close with a pretty huge name in the Chicago glass-blowing industry, so I've decided to nag him to beg him to sell me a custom piece. Because that's what you're supposed to do in this situation, right? :p

I doubt I'll get a discount or anything, but totally worth it!

Anyway, I know absolutely nothing about glass pieces. Is there anything specific I should ask for to ensure that this fits/works with a vape? Or is it pretty much anything goes? Sorry for the dumb question!

Primasilva,
Reactions: Tweek

Kief

Medicated
I would wait on getting something custom until you have an idea of what you really want. Custom is going to cost more, I recommend a mass produced starter piece in the range of $40 to $150 for now. If you can name the big name blower that you speak of, the glass heads here could help pick something out... you may even be able to get a deal if it's off the shelf.

Stay on the smaller side (low volume) and try to get as much diffusion (bubbles) as you can for your dollar. You shouldn't need to worry too much about clearance with your vapes and you could be open to both 18mm or 14mm joints. The rest is pretty much up to personal preference and that's why I'm recommending to start with a "value" piece for your first glass. This thread has a lot to do with the search of an inexpensive piece - http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/cheap-high-quality-bubbler.5255/.

I think it's a lot harder to recommend glass to a new person than it is a vape, it's worth doing as much reading as you can in this glass section just to educate yourself... even some of the threads that have been buried. If I was to go back in time and tell my inexperienced self what to buy first, it would be this http://ssfgglass.com/shop/product.php?id_product=15 with the extra disc diffused down stem... highly recommended in this forum.

You can go wrong with this purchase and it's great that you are asking for help. I've only scratched the surface, but I'm sure some others will fill in some blanks. Whatever you’re thinking about doing, just post your plan here and the pros will be happy to tell you if it's good or not.

Primasilva

Professional Procras... I'll finish this later ;-)
Thanks for the advice! I've been browsing the glass forum, but it's mostly way over my head so far.

Cheap is always nice ;) - Bearclaw's stuff is usually at least $500, I think!

Primasilva,
Reactions: Kief

Kief

Medicated
I'm glad I got back on to fix those typos, I thought it was fixed before.
Cheap is always nice - Bearclaw's stuff is usually at least $500, I think!
What you’re looking at is "heady glass" with lots of art and color that adds to the price. What we mostly use is "scientific glass", clear borosilicate made for durability and function. We also use clear scientific glass because it’s nice to see your vapor clouding up inside and you can also see it get dirty. You can easily spend $500 and up on scientific glass, but you do not need to.

Top Bottom