Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Dweez

How often do you guys clean your CU? I'm a fairly light user (one charge usually last me a day and a half or two) but it has started to get a little of that 'burnt popcorn' taste so I'm probably going to clean it tonight even though when I looked inside it wasn't terribly gooped up.

I'll probably pick up a 2nd CU so I can keep them in rotation like I do the glass stems in the ascent. I'm thinking a 10min soak in ISO with some agitation should be sufficient. However I don't like to use alcohol on plastic parts more than necessary. Oh, & do you scrape before you soak, or just soak? I'll be tossing the ISO in the mason jar of reclaim in the freezer so it won't be going to waste.
I use my crafty fairly heavily (5-8 bowls on weeknights, 10-15 on weekends). I'm pretty bad about cleaning it, and only get around to doing so once a month. It's gets pretty gummy in the screen, and I'm always amazed at how much better it tastes after I clean it. I don't usually have to scrape because I put my CU in a small jar with a lid, fill it so the cu is fully submersed in ISO, and then put it into a hot water bath in my plugged up kitchen sink. After about 5 mins, I shake it like crazy and my cu looks brand new.

However, you can totally smoke the vapor resin, so if you want to do that, I would recommend scraping before you soak it in alcohol.

Churrucaman

Looking for advice from some Crafty veterans:

I had a Crafty of one of the first batches and after having it serviced twice (both under 80h mark) I requested and switched to a Mighty instead.

I now miss the convenience of the smaller unit for when out and about and recently been thinking about getting another one but there're some issues I would like to know if have been fixed or at least improved:
  • Overheating: I couldn't do 2 chained bowls before the unit shutting down due to overheat, this started happening after the 4th month or so. I live in a hot country during summer so this may have some influence, my Mighty never had this problem but having the stress handled between two batteries sure helps. I recall somebody mentioning the insulation had improved but not really sure.
  • Battery failures: Both my 2 units seemed to die due to battery issues (first suddenly died, second had the yellow-red light of death). Guess this should have improved but noticed a few recent posts mentioning battery issues.
  • Usage time: I could do about 4-5 bowls (rushed) at first and about 3-4 at about 70h usage, I'm guessing this would get the unit under the 30 min usage time in about 1 year with my routine so the unit would have to be sent back quite frequently.
  • Firmware updates: Even cheap ecig mods now have upgradeable firmware but guess S&B isn't working much on that.
My biggest con by a big difference and that I know hasn't improved is being able to switch batteries, even if it were propietary ones, simply unacceptable considering the usage time this vape gives.

Thank you in advance

Churrucaman,

scottyc22

Hey do any of you guys have a small and compact case for your crafty? I'm looking for something that's relatively the same dimensions as the crafty, as that's all that I want to fit in the case. I thought the Pelican 1010 was perfect but realized it's too thick/tall for me. Help!?

scottyc22,

Vambo1980

SAxA6AR.png

Vambo1980

Goes to show, I think you found--and fixed!--the weak link of the Crafty devices... if I recall correctly it was the leads to the battery? You soldered them on?

I hope for their sake S&B has taken notice--nice work!

Thanks, I have been counting down the hours waiting to post my little mile stone. Made myself a few celebratory pre-packs.

My fix for the dreaded red/yellow lights of death was to remove the thermal fuse and solder the heater cables directly to the board.

All i really need for my crafty is a new housing.. Storz and Bickel, if you happen to read this, feel free to send me a new housing. After all i have saved you money by not sending my in warranty crafty for repair and fixing it myself, all i ask of you is a new case. You will most likely know who i am from the serial number :-)

S1aaWGG.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

Hey do any of you guys have a small and compact case for your crafty? I'm looking for something that's relatively the same dimensions as the crafty, as that's all that I want to fit in the case. I thought the Pelican 1010 was perfect but realized it's too thick/tall for me. Help!?
I suggest the RYOT Rat Pack (or something like that), in a small. A very snug fit for the Crafty and its smell proof. Handy pocket inside to hold the brush or other flat tools. Perfect if you dont want it to hold other bulky accessories.

Mr. Me2,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
What insight do you mean?
@Kasish had posd the question
"I dont know maybe im lazy as F but wouldnt it be nice if the craftys app saved the last status of your battery?"
and I thought it might be something you'd have some insight on, or might want to consider building in to your app.

vapviking,
Reactions: Thcgos

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Thanks, I have been counting down the hours waiting to post my little mile stone. Made myself a few celebratory pre-packs.

My fix for the dreaded red/yellow lights of death was to remove the thermal fuse and solder the heater cables directly to the board.

All i really need for my crafty is a new housing.. Storz and Bickel, if you happen to read this, feel free to send me a new housing. After all i have saved you money by not sending my in warranty crafty for repair and fixing it myself, all i ask of you is a new case. You will most likely know who i am from the serial number :-)

S1aaWGG.jpg
I think S&B should send you one of every product they make, to entice you to return you amazing Crafty for inspection and placement into the Crafty Hall of Fame. and in the hopes that you might improve any/all of the others for them.
:clap:
oops! sorry for b to b posts

starbot

h74ZO46.jpg

US user here... what's the likelyhood of my Crafty surviving? Bought it on eBay about a month ago... arrived with only 1 hour of use and is showing v2.10 firmware.

Also, if I do end up needing service... opinions on how they will handle the eBay sale?

Thanks! Great unit..

starbot,

ligi

ligi
@Kasish had posd the question
"I dont know maybe im lazy as F but wouldnt it be nice if the craftys app saved the last status of your battery?"
and I thought it might be something you'd have some insight on, or might want to consider building in to your app.

Not yet sure how this info would help users - sure this is possible to implement - but I only add features if I see use-cases ..

Pharoh

i use a small soft zip camera case by Lowepro...Best Buy carries them..they're about the size of a Crafty ,,

S1aaWGG.jpg
Those pre-loads look interesting....Thinking about getting some..So you just drop one in the bowl (metal case included)..Right? Does it affect the pul resistance?..Are they easy to use. fill...clean........Thanks!

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
Pharoh,

dusdat

Long time lurker here. Purchased the Crafty over the weekend, been putting it through its paces ( 5 hours so far ;) ) Just thought I'd say I'm loving it so far, gettting about 6 bowls per charge and it's hitting the same as my Mighty would. Love the size, long may it last.
you have a Mighty AND a Crafty? nice! I'm really thinking about purchasing a Crafty too, because I'm getting a bit bored with the harsher vapor taste of my 1 year old Air.

Dweez

i use a small soft zip camera case by Lowepro...Best Buy carries them..they're about the size of a Crafty ,,

Those pre-loads look interesting....Thinking about getting some..So you just drop one in the bowl (metal case included)..Right? Does it affect the pul resistance?..Are they easy to use. fill...clean........Thanks!

Mod note: posts merged
The dosage capsules are awesome. Super easy to load, and yeah, you just put em in and rip away. They don't hold quite as much as a normal bowl, but the convenience is worth it. They are a little annoying to get open, and you'll probably bend/warp a couple, but they bend back into place fairly easy.

As for draw resistance, I haven't noticed any difference.

One major drawback, is they get REALLY fucking hot. I got a pretty nice burn on my palm from just dumping a used one straight from the crafty into my hand. Also, I've put a couple of nice burns on my night stand, and ruined a table cloth. Definitely need to put them into something glass/metal for them to cool down if you're doing bowls in quick succession.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dweez,

luke00978

just purchased a crafty after selling my mighty a year back, sold the mighty when i got a nano, but they crafty/mighty giant bowl cant be beat when you want to relax with a few tokes, no reloading,no stirring no bubbler required , also i thought the mighty was a good portable, the crafty is tiny! almost as small as my fm mini. now to get some dosing caps.

enjoy your vapes!

Shane McTerpy

you have a Mighty AND a Crafty? nice! I'm really thinking about purchasing a Crafty too, because I'm getting a bit bored with the harsher vapor taste of my 1 year old Air.

Hey, yeah I have both. (VAS) I bought them because I found the Air irritates my throat after a few bowls, it's still a great vape though. Crafty/Mighty has very good vapor production on lower temperatures and if you have a glass mouthpiece from Vapefiend, the flavour is on par with the Air IMO :)

Shane McTerpy,
Reactions: dusdat

Pharoh

Hey Guys!
Just wanted to share the crafty users a picture of my new bubbler D020 from dhgate, that i received 11 days after purchase! Im very happy with this bubbler nice taste and huge vapo clouds! :science:

GT5dQy3.jpg
Why......?....the crafty by itself will be fine...

Pharoh,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Water piece can definitely enhance the experience. Adding moisture and cooling hot clouds is a pleasure, and if you like you can vape at higher temp. with less irritation.

Having a vape took some getting used to as I was not comfortable with a 'device' (joint guy for about 45 years). Then, after about a year of vaping and reading so much here I eased into water use with home made rig so I could feel better about not having spent money on this sideshow. But that only led to a much improved home made rig that wife and I now use about 60% of the time.

We're not college kids with a big bong, just older folks with war weary respiratory tracts.
And we're not quite at Trailer Park Boys level now, but close!

UniqueCrafty

☆☆☆☆
Of course the crafty is fine by itself!
But with the bubbler you get bigger clouds, nice cool taste and one hit through it, will send you to universe;)
(you can hit it like 7-10 times)
Its like next level vaping.

UniqueCrafty,

dusdat

Hey, yeah I have both. (VAS) I bought them because I found the Air irritates my throat after a few bowls, it's still a great vape though. Crafty/Mighty has very good vapor production on lower temperatures and if you have a glass mouthpiece from Vapefiend, the flavour is on par with the Air IMO :)

I got my Crafty today too! (ordered from Amazon) and just finished my first bowl now hahaha
Real excited with getting used to this vape :D
Why you have Crafty & Mighty? Isn't that like double? You use the Mighty at home and Crafty on the go?
What are the advantages of the Mighty above the Crafty besides double battery power?
I've been using my Air for over a year now, still works very good.
But my throat gets quickly irritated, even on the first bowl on my Air with the short easyflow stems.
So I decided to give myself a little present for my upcoming birthday.

One thing I already noticed today with my crafty: I immediately charged the crafty (with my samsung phone charger). Charged for approx 40 mins max, the light was solid blue
Couple hours later I heated the first bowl up to 185C, took like 4 nice hits max,
I look at the battery indicator at my phone and I'm like wtf?
3 bars gone already? So I was like maybe I didn't charge it max.
So I turn it off, and charge again.
On my phone it was going from 2 to 3 bars charging till suddenly in a couple of minutes it was solid blue again.
I put it on again, and the indicator was max again. I heated the same bowl up to 200C, vaped the remainders for 4/5 mins max (didnt get much out of this compared with the air, even though the herb still remains greenish not the brown almost burned herb with the air), and already 1 bar gone again? this cant be good, right?

btw that first bowl got me way more f*cked up than the air would ;)

Last edited:
dusdat,
Top Bottom