Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Thcgos

Vape Addict
I thought of getting a flowermate mini. How do you compare the 2?
Is it worth getting a mini or I will be spoiled by the Crafty being superior to it? tnx.

I have the flowermate V5s, but it has been reviewed by Vape critic as performing the same as the FM mini.
It is a solid unit for the price and gets the job done.

Comparing it to the crafty:
-Crafty gets your more medicated than the flowermate with the same material.
-Crafty tastes better, especially towards the end of the session
-Crafty is almost unrestricted air flow, the FM v5s has a bit more restriction.
-Flowermate chamber is starting to look a bit worse for wear after some hrs of use. It's almost like the ceramic is coming off the chamber walls, I can see white and brown.
-The flowermate mini is only marginally smaller than the crafty, so portability is pretty much the same, only slight favour to the FM mini (going off dimensions).

If you did get it, I can't think of any scenarios where you would pick the FM over the crafty.
The thing about the FM is that it's cheap and relatively durable. You don't have to worry about it. The crafty is my precious, I have heart palpitations at the thought of losing or dropping that. The FM is replaceable.

If you are thinking about a backup vape and need portability, it would be good, but you won't be using it while you have your crafty.

Last edited:

vts

Checking back after a couple of weeks. The Crafty is performing much better than when I first got it from SnB. First off, I'm new to vaping and this is my first vape, so there was some learning, practice to be done. I have not combusted since I got the Crafty. And I don't miss it!

My Crafty is not getting overheated like it did when I first got it, I was almost ready to send it back, but it's gotten much better. I'm also getting good dense clouds (from the same meds), better than the barely visible ones when I first started vaping (yes there is a learning curve). Although it did medicate well even when there was no clouds. I guess it's a visual thing to wanna see clouds, you feel like your more medicated, idk.

I've been getting 4 sessions with it, before charging and about a 1-2 minute heat up to 372 f (my preferred temp.). I usually do a little over a half bowl with a screen on top, the pad is nasty tasting after a few uses. I get 2 large clouds and some lesser ones, I'm feeling pretty good, just right. With a full bowl, I get 3-4 large clouds, and I'm done, pretty ripped. Of course this all depends on your meds.

So far I like the Crafty and the way it medicates, very similar to combustion. Now I'm worried that if something goes wrong I'll have to get another vaporizer. Maybe another Crafty, or Mighty. I just don't want to spend that much money. My friend has the Firefly and I thought it was pretty good, but that's expensive also. Any suggestions on something similar but cheaper would be helpful.

UnshavenFish

Although it did medicate well even when there was no clouds. I guess it's a visual thing to wanna see clouds, you feel like your more medicated, idk

Nail on the head as they say, no you don't need clouds to get the effects, in fact any exhaled visible vapour IMO is kinda wasted vapour, but I do like a cloud so don't mind a little waste, although i do sometimes for a little extra effect (in my head at least :mental:) hold in a hit then exhale half and inhale fresh air then repeat a few times till no visible vapour is exhaled.

Now I'm worried that if something goes wrong I'll have to get another vaporizer

Sounds like the start of VAS (vape acquisition syndrome) to me :brow: welcome to the club :lol:

When you say 'similar to combustion' , 'cheaper would be helpful' the first thing that comes to my mind is butane power to the rescue :rockon: (if butane is something your ok with) something like a Vapman, Lily, Daisy (I have all three of these and love each one and each fills a different need) lotus or vapor genie, lots out there to choose from, right now Daisy is my most used (by quite a bit) it's a beast of a cloud machine (almost smoke like clouds, bigger than any of my other vapes can do) and add to that no charging and instant hits :clap:

Thcgos

Vape Addict
Now I'm worried that if something goes wrong I'll have to get another vaporizer. Maybe another Crafty, or Mighty. I just don't want to spend that much money. My friend has the Firefly and I thought it was pretty good, but that's expensive also. Any suggestions on something similar but cheaper would be helpful.

That might be a bit hard. You won't get the same performance from any other battery powered portable IMHO.

There are few other good vapes, I’ve never used the firefly but heard great things about it. But I don’t know about your location but here a firefly, with spare battery, is the same price as a crafty…

My main backup is the Arizer solo, they can be had for cheap these days, although if portability and stealth is an issue, maybe go the Arizer Air (it’s smaller slightly more expensive brother).

Otherwise as per my previous post, the flowermate is around $100 and it does the job, but I think you’ll only ever use it in emergencies or as a thrasher vape. The performance difference is noticeable, but I never had any complaints, till I got the crafty that is lol.

Vapium summit is well received and is on the cheap side.

I don't have any experience with Butane Vapes, and i prefer not to use them for stealth factors. But the guys on here know their stuff and recommend them.

Hey guys, I ordered the wear and tear set and some extra filling aids from S&B and was wondering if I need to be home when this arrives. On their site it says all packages require a signature and I was wondering if that's more for the actual vaporizer or for everything they ship. It says extra parts are shipped via standard UPS or USPS. I wouldn't think the standard shipping offers that service but I may be wrong.

joeblowssmoke,

Dweez

Some crafty reclaim

How do you go about reclaiming once it's all contaminated with isopropyl?

Modnote: Back to back posts merged

New crafty owner here, it's my first s&b product, and my second vaporizer (I've had a Vapor Bros. classic since 2005).

Does anyone have any tips for maintaining battery life more efficiently? I feel like I can get max 5 "bowls" out of it, and that may even be a stretch.

I guess a better question would be is it better to shut the unit off in between bowls (thereby letting it cool down, and then having to reheat it when I turn it on) or should I leave it on while I load. Basically, does it take more power to maintain the temperature, or to have to reheat it?

I figured out that if I turn the "charge lights" off, it does seem to charge faster.

I really like the output on the crafty, but the battery life is a serious problem. I find myself obsessing over the charge, and literally have to plug it in the instant I'm done using it if I want to be able to use it consistently throughout the night (on week days, I smoke from about 6-11pm, anywhere from 5-8 bowls - on weekends it's probably more like 10-15 bowls)

I see in a lot of older posts people talking about how crafty is not designed to be "a main driver". What exactly does this mean? It seems excessive to me to own multiple different vaporizers at a price point of $340+. I assume a "main driver" would be something like a Volcano or a the Plenty.

Last edited by a moderator:

BioSector

How do you go about reclaiming once it's all contaminated with isopropyl?

If you let the cooling unit build up for a while and then do a bowl and clean it hot, you can scoop stuff like that right out of the cooling unit, no ISO required.

Not sure if that is the case here or not.

Does anyone have any tips for maintaining battery life more efficiently? I feel like I can get max 5 "bowls" out of it, and that may even be a stretch.

I think the Mighty would serve you better. Has double the battery. The Crafty really doesn't perform well as a daily driver for a heavy user in my humble opinion.

Something flame powered might be better if you are doing 5-8 bowls a night.

trying to figure out how to delete this since I edited original post to avoid back to back. :)

I fail and a mod will take care of my blunder. :D (Modnote: de-blunderized ;) )

Dweez

sorry mod, I blundered too (again) (Modnote: debluderization successful)

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely have to try to use your method of cleaning it "hot".

As for the mighty suiting me better, that's what I was afraid of. I went with the crafty because it was $60 cheaper, and much more reasonably sized. In hindsight, I should have just plunked down the extra $$ and went for it, but I was already spending way beyond my budget in buying the crafty, and I thought the app integration was cool. We'll see how things go, but in considering flipping my crafty on Craigslist in the hopes of recouping some $$ so I can get the mighty.

Hopefully, I can save some money by using the crafty (that's why I bought it) over the next few months, and maybe I'll be able to justify picking up a 2nd unit. I was literally spending $400/month on herb pre-crafty. With the crafty, I'm hoping to get that down to about $100 (my local dispensary sells oz's of trim for $50, which would be disgusting to smoke, but vaping is quite tasty)

Astedra

So far I like the Crafty and the way it medicates, very similar to combustion. Now I'm worried that if something goes wrong I'll have to get another vaporizer. Maybe another Crafty, or Mighty. I just don't want to spend that much money. My friend has the Firefly and I thought it was pretty good, but that's expensive also. Any suggestions on something similar but cheaper would be helpful.

I suggest the air I bought one as the crafty goes back too much and I love it.

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely have to try to use your method of cleaning it "hot".

As for the mighty suiting me better, that's what I was afraid of. I went with the crafty because it was $60 cheaper, and much more reasonably sized. In hindsight, I should have just plunked down the extra $$ and went for it, but I was already spending way beyond my budget in buying the crafty, and I thought the app integration was cool. We'll see how things go, but in considering flipping my crafty on Craigslist in the hopes of recouping some $$ so I can get the mighty.

Hopefully, I can save some money by using the crafty (that's why I bought it) over the next few months, and maybe I'll be able to justify picking up a 2nd unit. I was literally spending $400/month on herb pre-crafty. With the crafty, I'm hoping to get that down to about $100 (my local dispensary sells oz's of trim for $50, which would be disgusting to smoke, but vaping is quite tasty)

I don't have a Crafty, but I do have a Mighty and one of the reasons I bought it instead was my fear of battery life not living up to par.

Honestly, despite the Crafty not having as many "bowls" per charge, I really only ever need one "bowl" out of my Mighty. That extra battery goes a long way in not having to recharge it, but I think I'd of been fine with the Crafty, seeing as how I rarely need to double dip.

rshetts

C

You might want to check out the Haze thread and see if that would work for you. Its a pretty popular vape right now. Very effective, with a unique 2 bowl system and its less expensive than the Crafty or Mighty vapes. It lists for $249 but can be found for around $180 - $200

UnshavenFish

@Dweez

Few things you could do just going off your stated routine...

5-8 bowls over 5 hours, if it was me I would start with the crafty fully charged have one or two bowls wait 5-10 mins then put on charge for half hour or longer depending on how long you can wait for next one, then have next bowl, wait 5-10 mins and charge again, repeat this and you should manage what you need but it will take some thought to remember.

5 bowls from a full charge is good (most I ever got was 6 but it takes crazy fast session so not for everyone) and maintaining temp uses less power than heat up does but if doing back to back sessions you need to take care when removing/attaching the CU due to the heat, I have done back to back sessions (just to try and get a too hot popup :mental: but never happened) but it's probably better to let it cool down between uses just to avoid any extra heat.

Something else to consider is the portion of the cell you use, hard to explain but I will have a go, when charging the crafty it charges at different speeds depending on how full or empty the cell is, from empty the charge rate starts at 1.48A and as the cell charges it drops down to 0.29A over time, so the last say 10-20% takes longer than the rest due to a lower charge rate, so for your usage and to keep the charge speed faster you want to stay away from a full charge after your first bowl and just do top ups as the night goes on.

If this doesn't make a lot of sense my excuse is I'm pretty baked right now, in my head it works but from my head to screen is a long journey :lol:

You might not have to charge after every bowl maybe every two but that's something your going to have to experiment with to find the right balance for your usage.

Happy testing :science:

See that bugs me. You shouldn't have to buy another vape for when your crsfty needs to be fixed. This is my issue in even buying it haha

Your right you shouldn't have to, but IMO everyone should have atleast two vapes regardless of which ones and how reliable they are, as even the most reliable vape can be dropped or damaged by mistake, also almost every vape will do something better than the next so can fill a different need/want with regards to speed, usage, hit size, ritual and even effect.

I kinda see the crafty like a sports/high performance car, yes there is maybe more risk of something going wrong (although me and many others are still on crafty number one) but when your driving it it sure puts a smile on your face :ko: and there are lots of other options that also have issues.

If reliability is a concern I would suggest the arizer air, IMO one of the most reliable battery powered portables right now (just read through the thread to confirm, I can only think of a few that have had issues)

Dweez

N
@Dweez

Few things you could do just going off your stated routine...

5-8 bowls over 5 hours, if it was me I would start with the crafty fully charged have one or two bowls wait 5-10 mins then put on charge for half hour or longer depending on how long you can wait for next one, then have next bowl, wait 5-10 mins and charge again, repeat this and you should manage what you need but it will take some thought to remember.

5 bowls from a full charge is good (most I ever got was 6 but it takes crazy fast session so not for everyone) and maintaining temp uses less power than heat up does but if doing back to back sessions you need to take care when removing/attaching the CU due to the heat, I have done back to back sessions (just to try and get a too hot popup :mental: but never happened) but it's probably better to let it cool down between uses just to avoid any extra heat.

Something else to consider is the portion of the cell you use, hard to explain but I will have a go, when charging the crafty it charges at different speeds depending on how full or empty the cell is, from empty the charge rate starts at 1.48A and as the cell charges it drops down to 0.29A over time, so the last say 10-20% takes longer than the rest due to a lower charge rate, so for your usage and to keep the charge speed faster you want to stay away from a full charge after your first bowl and just do top ups as the night goes on.

If this doesn't make a lot of sense my excuse is I'm pretty baked right now, in my head it works but from my head to screen is a long journey :lol:

You might not have to charge after every bowl maybe every two but that's something your going to have to experiment with to find the right balance for your usage.

Happy testing :science:

Your right you shouldn't have to, but IMO everyone should have atleast two vapes regardless of which ones and how reliable they are, as even the most reliable vape can be dropped or damaged by mistake, also almost every vape will do something better than the next so can fill a different need/want with regards to speed, usage, hit size, ritual and even effect.

I kinda see the crafty like a sports/high performance car, yes there is maybe more risk of something going wrong (although me and many others are still on crafty number one) but when your driving it it sure puts a smile on your face :ko: and there are lots of other options that also have issues.

If reliability is a concern I would suggest the arizer air, IMO one of the most reliable battery powered portables right now (just read through the thread to confirm, I can only think of a few that have had issues)

That totally makes sense, I applaud your ability to discuss the technical specifications of charge rates while stoned.

This information will definitely help, as I've been tripping on keeping it fully charged at all times.

Overall, I'm really happy with the crafty, it's just taken/is taking me some time to reconcile my expectations with the reality of the device. It's been officially a week today since I bought it, and I haven't smoked since.

I know this if off topic for the thread, but since someone else brought up butane vapes, how do you manage temperature when you're using a flame? I've been doing a lot of reading about benzene formation at 200+ C, and I would really like to avoid carcinogens, otherwise, I may as well be smoking.

UnshavenFish

My boost setting on the crafty is 200°c (and I do at times go higher) and I'm sure with my butane vapes I do go higher (you don't need to but I like the effect, temp vs effect is something else you can have fun with experimenting) but even at high temps we still don't get a whole load of the stuff we are trying to avoid compared with smoking so there are still health benefits at 200°c+ (vs combustion), but this is something each person has to make their own informed decision about, and with regards to lower temp with butane vapes it depends on the vape but generally just torch for less time or hold the torch a little further away from the heat inlet/bowl.

UnshavenFish,
Reactions: bigmouth

Vambo1980

Well I'm up to 231hrs about 16 hrs on new battery and soldered heater connection. It's been so much better, no warning issues or charge issues, the sensor is air gapped away from the battery.
Heat up time has now increased to avg 1.28seconds @ 160c above ambient. It's punchy performance when fully charged is pretty good and noticeable, I cannot drop the temps any more than 3-4C on the biggest pull i can muster, it is only slightly more when nearly discharged like 5-6C

I don't want to open it up again now to fit a new thermal fuse in case I mess it up de-&-re soldering it. So I might just leave it for a while, if it carries on how it is I'll be happy.

All we need now is someone to make an improved case ideally with a removable battery. Would be nice if it happens as the casing is pretty brittle and flimsey. I bet loads have dropped & broke them.

bigmouth

I guess a better question would be is it better to shut the unit off in between bowls (thereby letting it cool down, and then having to reheat it when I turn it on) or should I leave it on while I load. Basically, does it take more power to maintain the temperature, or to have to reheat it?
That's a really interesting question. I don't know the answer for sure, but I personally turn the unit off. I mean, that's what the auto-shut off is going to do regardless, right?

I really like the output on the crafty, but the battery life is a serious problem. I find myself obsessing over the charge, and literally have to plug it in the instant I'm done using it if I want to be able to use it consistently throughout the night (on week days, I smoke from about 6-11pm, anywhere from 5-8 bowls - on weekends it's probably more like 10-15 bowls)

I see in a lot of older posts people talking about how crafty is not designed to be "a main driver". What exactly does this mean? It seems excessive to me to own multiple different vaporizers at a price point of $340+. I assume a "main driver" would be something like a Volcano or a the Plenty.
I actually think you answered your own question -- and rather eloquently! A "main driver" is the vape you use day in and day out. For those who use their vaporizers as often as you describe in your post, the Crafty is less practical for daily use. I suspect that's what those older posts mean.

It seems to me you need something that either plugs in and/or has a bigger battery. You might even consider contacting Storz & Bickel about paying a little extra for them to upgrade your Crafty to a Mighty. I have both, and I really think the Mighty would be better suited to your needs.

bigmouth,
Reactions: Thcgos

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
That might be a bit hard. You won't get the same performance from any other battery powered portable IMHO.

There are few other good vapes, I’ve never used the firefly but heard great things about it. But I don’t know about your location but here a firefly, with spare battery, is the same price as a crafty…

My main backup is the Arizer solo, they can be had for cheap these days, although if portability and stealth is an issue, maybe go the Arizer Air (it’s smaller slightly more expensive brother).

Otherwise as per my previous post, the flowermate is around $100 and it does the job, but I think you’ll only ever use it in emergencies or as a thrasher vape. The performance difference is noticeable, but I never had any complaints, till I got the crafty that is lol.

Vapium summit is well received and is on the cheap side.

I don't have any experience with Butane Vapes, and i prefer not to use them for stealth factors. But the guys on here know their stuff and recommend them.

I have a firefly and it's good vape but it does require technique and though the flavor is great, the flavor from the grasshopper is just as good with less inconvience and nearly half the price. I've been thinking of selling my firefly to get a crafty as the GH is really for taking a few quick rips where's he crafty seems like a good session vape

VaporNinja

the auto shut off feature doesn't always work on my Crafty with 2.04 firmware; time to send it back? anyone else experienced this problem?

VaporNinja,
Hello people,

I´m looking forward to upgrade my current Arizer Solo with a desk vape or with the Crafty. But I need to know how close the Crafty is from a desktop. Please Help:

- I need smoother and less harsher vapor, the Solo is harsh and dry. Is the Crafty also like that ?

- I also want to vape other herbs besides weed like lavender, Eucalyptus, chamomile, etc and I cannot get any visible vapor out of them with my Solo, only taste. Can I successfully vaporize them with a Crafty? Has anyone tried?

Your help will be much appreciated, mates. Thanks ! :rockon:

Mr. DoubtFire,

alecsys

by the way, did anyone asked S&B about a firmware upgrade without returning the device to them? is it possible to update the FW via the Micro USB port?

alecsys,
Top Bottom