Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Mr. Me2

Hey guys!
Was hoping you guys had some advice for me. I'm trying to decide between getting a mighty or a davinci iq. I'm leaning more on the mighty but idk if the defect rate is still an issue and whether or not s&b may come out with a next gen portable vape. What do yall think ?

Thanks
We've been speculating here about if/when S&B will release their next gen portable vapes. But there's been no official news. It does seem that the Crafty/Mighty warranty claims have dropped some (based only on posts here at fc). And if you read the Mighty thread, people almost uniformly LOVE their Mighty's (and I admit I'm a fan of my Crafty).

The new DaVinci looks real nice (as does the pax3), but they're still conduction even though both have technology that MAY have them perform a little closer to convection. Of course, the Mighty isn't pure convection either...

Tough call. You may want both!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hey guys!
Was hoping you guys had some advice for me. I'm trying to decide between getting a mighty or a davinci iq. I'm leaning more on the mighty but idk if the defect rate is still an issue and whether or not s&b may come out with a next gen portable vape. What do yall think ?

Thanks
I love my Mighty and it has performed great for over a year now. My earlier Crafty's kept having problems, though I know not all of them do.
My opinion is that S&B will just incrementally improve the designs they have . This has been their long-standing pattern. Very encouraging was a recent member's report that his brand new Crafty reached 180C in under 1 minute. I believe this is unprecedented; historically Crafty's (new) have taken 1-1/2 to over 2 minutes for heat up. I think this speaks to the theory of incremental improvement.
For over a year I've been touting Mighty-over-Crafty but I'm ready to now say I'd recommend either one as a great vape, but still give an edge to Mighty for lasting longer on a charge, charging faster, things like that.
and,
Lighter use=Crafty; Heavier use=Mighty
sorry to not ring in on the Davinci iq...don't know that one

zenmasterofzinfandel

I recently got back a new Crafty from SB usa, 2nd RMA, but this was my 2nd Crafty I had to buy quickly to replace the orig that failed @30+hrs on the app. 2nd one failed @72hr, bought earlier this January. I cannot do any of those tips/tricks to prolong the life of the unit; as I push it harder than most here.

I love to do dual capsule sessions, kind of 'shotgun' approach. Do the cycles where I turn off the Crafty when I can't tolerate the vaping anymore (I should get a portable bubbler for sure), turn it off long enough for the unit to cool down enough I can fire it up again before I get the dreaded battery too hot warning. Then on the last session on the 1st capsule, turn it off...then quickly replace with another capsule so that the residual conduction heat, warms up the 2nd capsule...maybe 1 min or 2, then start taking a draw off the mouthpiece<<<major terps inhaling before any vapor is visible. Turn the unit on and take very slow/long draws to get even more massive flavor, like you're vaping a freshly cut bud just harvested. By the time I get to the green light @356F I only get 1-2 more slow draws before I cannot taste much more...either too intoxicated to tell (kind of like you can't taste wine as well after drinking a glass over 30min) or the terps have all evaporated by then.

I wonder if any of you could devise a way to consistently measure the temps in the capsules. Seems to me that conduction with the capsules is increased over not using them. Even at default 356F temp, after too many draws, I could swear the heated air coming out is as hot as the 25F boosted temps when I'm not using the capsules. ABV on default setting is coming out like I'm on the verge of combustion, dark brown sometimes...more so when I use more liquidy rosin or terp sap/holy water mixed in with the herb

I do not have much high hopes in a version 2.0 coming out with improved/durable/more heat resistant electronics + a much better performing battery than the German made one they insist on using. Those two issues could make the Crafty a much better unit...oh well. My new unit I got in October as an RMA, ver 2.10, doesnt seem much faster to heat up, compared to the originals when they were new, 1:30 or about to 356F. They also killed the quick check of battery level by tapping on the power button. Now I must press on the power button and the unit starts heating & then I have to quickly turn if off; using up valuable battery life, just to check the battery level is full.

zenmasterofzinfandel,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I recently got back a new Crafty from SB usa, 2nd RMA, but this was my 2nd Crafty I had to buy quickly to replace the orig that failed @30+hrs on the app. 2nd one failed @72hr, bought earlier this January. I cannot do any of those tips/tricks to prolong the life of the unit; as I push it harder than most here.

I love to do dual capsule sessions, kind of 'shotgun' approach. Do the cycles where I turn off the Crafty when I can't tolerate the vaping anymore (I should get a portable bubbler for sure), turn it off long enough for the unit to cool down enough I can fire it up again before I get the dreaded battery too hot warning. Then on the last session on the 1st capsule, turn it off...then quickly replace with another capsule so that the residual conduction heat, warms up the 2nd capsule...maybe 1 min or 2, then start taking a draw off the mouthpiece<<<major terps inhaling before any vapor is visible. Turn the unit on and take very slow/long draws to get even more massive flavor, like you're vaping a freshly cut bud just harvested. By the time I get to the green light @356F I only get 1-2 more slow draws before I cannot taste much more...either too intoxicated to tell (kind of like you can't taste wine as well after drinking a glass over 30min) or the terps have all evaporated by then.

I wonder if any of you could devise a way to consistently measure the temps in the capsules. Seems to me that conduction with the capsules is increased over not using them. Even at default 356F temp, after too many draws, I could swear the heated air coming out is as hot as the 25F boosted temps when I'm not using the capsules. ABV on default setting is coming out like I'm on the verge of combustion, dark brown sometimes...more so when I use more liquidy rosin or terp sap/holy water mixed in with the herb

I do not have much high hopes in a version 2.0 coming out with improved/durable/more heat resistant electronics + a much better performing battery than the German made one they insist on using. Those two issues could make the Crafty a much better unit...oh well. My new unit I got in October as an RMA, ver 2.10, doesnt seem much faster to heat up, compared to the originals when they were new, 1:30 or about to 356F. They also killed the quick check of battery level by tapping on the power button. Now I must press on the power button and the unit starts heating & then I have to quickly turn if off; using up valuable battery life, just to check the battery level is full.
Idk what kind of physics is going on in there but the capsules work great! You are doing almost a heat soak on the second cap, so the thinking is better conduction, while many folks think the caps are improving convection (theoretically more air flow). What-the-heck-ever! I believe the caps help get the goods to release faster overall; session is over faster, with a more definite end. But I tend to do higher temps right out of the gate.
You are a prime candidate for a Mighty upgrade next time of of those two Crafty's goes down. I use water a lot (oh, yeah, I recommend it) most times over 200C. Mighty has only given overheat signal once in a year (I had four Crafty's die) and it shocked me! I don't even remember what the signal is!

somerandomguy1

Hey guys. My crafty is on 80 hours and only lasts about 2 bowls now. Looking to learn how to solder a new battery replacement. After browsing some of the posts in here it seems it's not as simple as grabbing a identical battery from the one that the unit comes with and attaching. What should I look out for and what should I avoid in order to not get more problems in the future like blown fuses etc? Thanks!

somerandomguy1,

Hawk

Hey guys. My crafty is on 80 hours and only lasts about 2 bowls now. Looking to learn how to solder a new battery replacement. After browsing some of the posts in here it seems it's not as simple as grabbing a identical battery from the one that the unit comes with and attaching. What should I look out for and what should I avoid in order to not get more problems in the future like blown fuses etc? Thanks!

You want an IMR battery with 20A continuous discharge. Sony, LG and Samsung have good ones nowadays with 3000mah.

somerandomguy1

You want an IMR battery with 20A continuous discharge. Sony, LG and Samsung have good ones nowadays with 3000mah.
One poster said he was having trouble with voltage. Is this a concern or if you get exact it shouldn't be a problem?

somerandomguy1,

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
Hi fellas! :rockon:My 4th unit since December 14 still works great. 151 hours of use and I still get 3 sessions out of one charge. Using it only at 180/195°C with the dosing capsules. I love how easy it is to clean the crafty now. I never cleaned the loading area itself, only brushed it out.

Yesterday I met a friend with his Pax2. He never vaped the Crafty and for me it was the first time trying the Pax2. I liked it to vape conduction style and the clouds were big and tasty (the first 3-4) but I wasn't nearly baked like my friend who wasn't able to finish his first Crafty load. :rofl:

Vape on guys!

Mr Mellish

Brand new Crafty arrived as a replacement, one day earlier than expected! S&B rocks and, for once, Fedex made me happy.

Battery didn't have much juice so I'm charging her up now. Very nice that they send the full kit and include a dosing capsule.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Brand new Crafty arrived as a replacement, one day earlier than expected! S&B rocks and, for once, Fedex made me happy.

Battery didn't have much juice so I'm charging her up now. Very nice that they send the full kit and include a dosing capsule.
well done!

vapviking,

Vapinmofo

Hello folks.
Even though my crafty has taken a back seat to the volcano and Firefly 2. But when I need the crafty I need the crafty.

Ah ha... It was taking a really long time to heat.
So I requested a repair.
My crafty Body is in for replacement after 92 hours.

Generally The crafty is the best portable unit I have if I plan on sharing.
A solo experience call for the Firefly for me anyway.
a Friend who had trouble with a tight draw (asthma) really likes the Crafty.

One thing is for sure. S and B cares about its customers.

Vapinmofo

Vapinmofo

Hello folks.
Even though my crafty has taken a back seat to the volcano and Firefly 2. But when I need the crafty I need the crafty.

Ah ha... It was taking a really long time to heat.
So I requested a repair.
My crafty Body is in for replacement after 92 hours.

Generally The crafty is the best portable unit I have if I plan on sharing.
A solo experience call for the Firefly for me anyway.
a Friend who had trouble with a tight draw (asthma) really likes the Crafty.

One thing is for sure. S and B cares about its customers.

Vapinmofo

I just received notification of a replacement !! Naw just a few days away.
Vapinmofo

Chandler

Anyone who requested the upgrade from Crafty to Mighty, what was the charge? USD, or CAD please.
thanks!

Chandler,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Anyone who requested the upgrade from Crafty to Mighty, what was the charge? USD, or CAD please.
thanks!
It has varied, but a typical scenario assumes that your Crafty has a covered warranty problem. The charge would usually be the list price difference between the two, $60 US. That's how it went for me.

Prior to that, when I needed a battery for Crafty that had no other problem, they only offered me a $100 US discount on a Mighty, so $299 I did not want to pay that time! Then that one crapped out so I got the $60 option. Definitely do it if you can!

Chandler

Prior to that, when I needed a battery for Crafty that had no other problem, they only offered me a $100 US discount on a Mighty, so $299

Awesome. Thanks for the info... so when they offered the $100 discount on the mighty, was that in exchange for your Crafty or would they have sold you the mighty for that price and returned you your crafty? with a new battery i suppose if you paid for that too??

Chandler,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Awesome. Thanks for the info... so when they offered the $100 discount on the mighty, was that in exchange for your Crafty or would they have sold you the mighty for that price and returned you your crafty? with a new battery i suppose if you paid for that too??
If I asked, I don't recall now what the answer was, but I think they would have kept Crafty. I was happy enough to get Crafty working (new battery) for what, at the time was $50 US. I think I was one of the last (summer '15) to get that price before battery went to $70.
Of course, in more civilized countries, the batteries are warrantied.

Vapinmofo

How long did your crafty need to heat up ? Mine takes 2:15min 185°C 50h on it..

It was taking well over 2 minutes to get to 165°C.
they received it friday and sent me a new one today.
I did not even think of upgrading to a Mighty.
Thats what I will do when this unit craps out.

Truth is these machines get used pretty hard. The batteries are Not designed for such HIGH TEMPS and big current drains.
I got 90 hours but that represented many many charge discharge cycles.
Under optimal conditions LiOn batteries are good for about 500 cycles with capacity dropping as the cycle count goes up.

My point is there is no magic here. IMHO it is remarkable that A and B warrantees the battery cell at all.
They have no control how the device is treated by the end user.

The crafty is still one of my favorite portable vaporizers.
Made in Germany
in a town that produces pretty much only medical devices.
by a company that makes every effort to produce and support a great product.

Vapinmofo

BeWise

My last Crafty made it to ~55hrs. It was taking ~4minutes to get to 180c, and finally started overheating just doing that. I was still under warranty (6 weeks left), but they honored it and made it right. I am imagining my use patterns will get me at least to 55 hours again. Wonder if anything new in there that will allow me to go further. I was not offered the Mighty - perhaps that requires you request that consideration? I do love the unit, in that it is portable, though I think of it as a solo unit mostly, not really good at sharing unless it is just one other light user.

What charging pattern is the most popular: A) very near complete discharge then recharge, or B) recharge whenever there is time regardless of discharge level (this one is more what I do).

BeWise,

Mr. Me2

My last Crafty made it to ~55hrs. It was taking ~4minutes to get to 180c, and finally started overheating just doing that. I was still under warranty (6 weeks left), but they honored it and made it right. I am imagining my use patterns will get me at least to 55 hours again. Wonder if anything new in there that will allow me to go further. I was not offered the Mighty - perhaps that requires you request that consideration? I do love the unit, in that it is portable, though I think of it as a solo unit mostly, not really good at sharing unless it is just one other light user.

What charging pattern is the most popular: A) very near complete discharge then recharge, or B) recharge whenever there is time regardless of discharge level (this one is more what I do).
Hi @BeWise.

Although my Crafty has been on a little vacation from use (I'm still on my gh honeymoon), my charging pattern is to wait till I get the blue fast charging lights. That's usually after my 3rd session.

I'll be interested to see how others treat their Crafty.

Mr. Me2,

stereo420

My Crafty has about 115 hours through 6 months usage. I would like to upgrade it to a brand new Mighty. The Crafty itself is not actually failing, however, battery life has taken a hit. It is simply not conducive to my usage anymore due to the amount of time it takes to heat up. I was the first guy on this forum with v2.10.

How can I guarantee, if possible, that S&B will honor that upgrade?

stereo420,
Top Bottom