Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

dagfp

Let me know if you guys have any questions and have a great day!

thanks for the awesome review and serene pictures!... though i'm not sure what to make of your experiment other than you needed to an excuse to justify getting really high. :)

i have heard it said that a conduction vaporizer has a different high signature than a convection one... and the way s&b heats up the oven using both methods gives theirs a unique signature that other vaporizers have difficulty reproducing

do you feel this is true? or in other words, do you feel that an equivalent amount of herb in another vaporizer is less potent than that amount used the Crafty+?

dagfp,
Reactions: dimmusp

vapviking

Old & In the Way
DO IT PASSTHROUGH CHARGING?

I am disappoint

But is that true? The original Crafty did passthrough if the battery was over 20%. I've read elsewhere that the Crafty+ does as well, though whether it's good for the battery to charge it while running the heater is another question.
Pass thru charging, it seems, can mean different things to different people. I'm sure there are quite technical descriptions available and I qualify my comments by saying I'm not any authority on the subject, however,

In practical terms, and simply put, the usb supplied power is not strong enough to both run and charge Crafty(+) at the same time. Crafty will allow itself to be plugged in and turned on, but will alternate between heating cycles and charging cycles, in turns. But if the use is continual, the net effect will be eventual depletion of the battery. Before this is allowed to happen, Crafty will shut down, at 20% charge.
So to clarify, my opinion is that Crafty(+) does not have true pass-thru charging. It will not charge and heat separately, at the same time. With what it does do, you can extend the use somewhat beyond a typical unplugged use cycle by plugging in.

Mighty, btw, has more robust power supply (12v vs. 5v) and while it also alternates between heating/charging, it can more than keep up and so it can gain charge even while being used. It can be powered by a/c and used even when the batteries are depleted. And so my opinion is that while it is not a true pass-thru, in practical function it may be called such, especially if it can avoid long winded explanations. :wave:

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
From the Crafty support page on the S&B website -

"...If the CRAFTY is operated while plugged in, the batteries will not be bypassed. The discharge current is higher than the current that is used to charge the battery. Therefore, the CRAFTY can only be operated while plugged in if a partial charging has been carried out beforehand. However, this process is stressful for the battery and may shorten the battery life faster."

https://www.storz-bickel.com/en-us/support/crafty

yankeetokeniner

just found out about this...still has a built in battery :doh:(biggest flaw with my crafty)(biggest flaw with any device IMO)
My crafty battery was a dud after 2 months/19hrs..S&B said normal wear and tear. + has a parasitic drain.(could be bluetooth on).
Hopefully this device is really improved in regards to battery "wear and tear".

vapviking

Old & In the Way
just found out about this...still has a built in battery :doh:(biggest flaw with my crafty)(biggest flaw with any device IMO)
My crafty battery was a dud after 2 months/19hrs..S&B said normal wear and tear. + has a parasitic drain.(could be bluetooth on).
Hopefully this device is really improved in regards to battery "wear and tear".

Apple iPhone and Samsung galaxy both have integrated batteries. It’s for a very good reason to be honest. Batteries can be dangerous and even explode. The best way to prevent this is to have complete control of the battery inside. Thus no replacement.
Having had 2 li-ion batteries vent in my bedroom in the past month, vapes like Crafty+ or maybe an Edge are looking more appealing. Mighty has served me very well for several years now, and quite safely.

yankeetokeniner

Apple iPhone and Samsung galaxy both have integrated batteries. It’s for a very good reason to be honest. Batteries can be dangerous and even explode. The best way to prevent this is to have complete control of the battery inside. Thus no replacement.

it ain't about safety.
that's a byproduct/selling point to help sell that idea(throw away devices)

I think it's more about business/$$. (can't even add memory/sd to apple iphone IIRC)
it does create glue assembly phones that are thinner, that is a benefit.

Me, I'd rather be able to open(phone/device) to inspect my battery for swelling/puffing/etc BEFORE it vents in my pocket or house.

control can still be had with a user replaceable battery. (no control of what user puts in there-agree but read below).
If S&B were on top of safety(and not just sticking a better cell in same shell), it wouldn't allow a cheap cell to fire.(some flashlights/other devices have this "tech"..won't let it fire/throttle down if "resistance" of cell is too high-indicating cheap or dying cell).
There doesn't need to be a temp wire on the battery itself.(just a note)

I know times/people/tech are different these days but people have been changing batteries out since they were invented.

one thing I'd welcome is make crafty/mighty batteries proprietary... I wouldn't mind that. (think power tool batteries...they are still 18650/21xxx but encased or tabbed to only fit their tools)

just rambling now but I don't think it's for safety.

Having had 2 li-ion batteries vent in my bedroom in the past month, vapes like Crafty+ or maybe an Edge are looking more appealing. Mighty has served me very well for several years now, and quite safely.

ouch.. what device? batteries? etc?
Ive had lipo since 2007(RC cars), bare 18650/14500/10440 since 2009(flashlights and nic e cigs)...I have never had an issue. (ok 1 issue... china zippy 3S lipo puffed on me but I could see it before bad things happened and disposed of properly)

having a built in battery doesn't make a device safer IMO

you may feel safer with a built in battery after your experience...but you need to toss that within 2-3 years/500 charges to be safe. ticking time bomb IMO.

Last edited:

MGG

A lot of those battery explosions were in relation to people using 3rd party batteries/chargers.
And so rather than risk people putting whatever dodgy battery in there, they made it so they can't be swapped as a safety precaution. However replaceable batteries aren't inherently dangerous.

HomerSchwag

I’ve had my Crafty+ for nearly 2 weeks now. I have had the Volcano since March 2005, Mighty since April 2015, 2 Craftys that both died before the end of 2017, so I am very familiar with the performance standards of S&B products on both ends of the spectrum. Overall I’m quite pleased with the Crafty+. Vapor quality is closer to my Mighty than previous Craftys. The heater seems to pack a little more punch without sacrificing any smoothness, so no complaints in the vapor department whatsoever. The airflow has also improved compared to my older models, so perhaps that is the reason I get that extra punch. Battery life has certainly improved, I only vape .1 with the liquid pad, so I got a total of 11 heat cycles with 2-3 draws each. The old Crafty got maybe 6-7 of these cycles when new. Heat up time has also improved, takes about 70 secs to get up to temp, I think the old one was closer to 2 mins. The new casing feels better in the hand compared to the old, the thumb grip feels impossible to drop this one. The only negative was the first time I powered it on there was definitely a factory smell coming from the heater. I ran through a few complete dry heat cycles, then a few more while puffing on some avb, and it was gone. I smell absolutely nothing when it heats up now. The lack of accessories doesn’t bother me because I already have multiple sets from previous purchases, but I understand how it can be disappointing for new buyers. Fortunately I already had the app for some time on my iPhone so I was unaffected by the App Store problem. Any questions let me know.

blackstone

New info from POTV Black Friday deals round up page:

VapoShop Europe
I also expect to get notification tomorrow of sitewide 20% at Storz & Bickel for the weekend.
Sweet!

Please leave one Crafty+ there for me guys!

And we got a decent, realistic overview of the Crafty+ from the FC legend Jerry Stickstones on the Planet of the Vapes blog:
https://www.planetofthevapes.com/blogs/blog/storz-bickel-crafty-review
I'm gonna read it properly now, great to have these resources around the web.

karec

New info from POTV Black Friday deals round up page:

And we got a decent, realistic overview of the Crafty+ from the FC legend Jerry Stickstones on the Planet of the Vapes blog:
https://www.planetofthevapes.com/blogs/blog/storz-bickel-crafty-review
I'm gonna read it properly now, great to have these resources around the web.

It is a well balanced review by Jerry, he mentions all without being emotional on it (like me :lol::lol::lol:) and i guess his quote say it all...

"The Crafty+ is a welcome update that leaves us both excited and disappointed."

My excitement is very small.... as soon we knew it was a + and not a new vape i think all of us (that already own one OG) knew it was an update in the same line as the new Volcano.... but who not own a S&B portable it is, still, a great vape, i would advise to get a Mighty but its not pocket friendly although it is a portable unit.... and the disappointed is something we already are used to with S&B lack of new stuff and minor updates to the existing arsenal....

I am very curious to see the performance of the + over time, and its not them giving an extra year of warranty that make me feel more safe (if i got one....not!!!) when the OG had 2 years it is known that they void that period saying that was "used" improperly, even with less that 60h so .... im curious, one thing is right after the 20% increase battery the problems decreased a lot, especially the yellow/red error due to the thermal fuse.

The lack of freebies on the package is really mehhhh especially the brush, the filling unit (on the go is a must) and the wall charger (this order), leaving the only thing i dont mind not getting, the grinder.... IMHO Calling it a minus (-) instead of a plus (+) is on point...

BTW if any of you guys that have a paperweight OG Crafty laying around getting dust, PM me i need a plastic housing.

Cheers
:cool:

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Too bad they didn't add in USB-C and passthru charging, honestly would have been enough to almost overlook the non replaceable battery. The new bowls per charge is pretty impressive.

JCat

Accessory Maker
So ... S&B’s response to me (they didn’t address my question/suggestion that they distribute it for download with an Enterprise Distribution certificate ... hmm ... I wonder if I can “re-sign” their IPA with my certificate? Wonder if there is a way to extract and resign it?)

Dear Customers,

Apple has announced the ban of all vaporizer, vape, and e-cigarette related Apps from the App Store and has executed the ban on Friday, 22nd of November 2019. Therefore, we regret that new customers will not be able to download the STORZ & BICKEL App in the App Store until further notice.

Although Apple has not explained their decision to exclude the STORZ & BICKEL App from their store to us directly, reports suggest that Apple has acted based on the current vape crisis in the US, which is related to the vaping of concentrates and e-liquids. In their decision to ban all vape related Apps, Apple has regrettably not made any distinctions between nicotine products, cartridge devices, e-cigarettes and dry herb vaporizers at the expense of our customers. STORZ & BICKEL manufactures approved medical devices that adhere to international safety regulations and norms and as a result of our unwavering commitment to quality across all of our product lines, after 20 years and with a million S&B vaporizers currently in the field, there has never been a single reported case of consumer injury caused by a S&B vaporizer.

It is unfortunate to see that our devices are being lumped together with non-regulated vapes involved in the current lung illness incidents.

Despite all our objections and explanations to Apple that S&B devices are dry herb vaporizers sold without any payload content, and not e-cigarettes nor in any way are they related to the current vape crisis, Apple has decided to make no exemptions and has banned roughly 180 vape related Apps, including the STORZ & BICKEL App.

What does that mean?

Customers who have already downloaded the App on their smartphone will still be able to use it. However, new app or device updates will not be available through iOS until further notice.

The STORZ & BICKEL App offers complimentary features for the CRAFTY/ CRAFTY+ and the VOLCANO HYBRID. For the CRAFTY and CRAFTY+ it is primarily used to adjust temperatures. However, both devices offer factory-set temperatures: The Base Temperature of 180°C/356°F, the Booster Temperature of 195°C/383°F and the CRAFTY+ even offers the Super Boost, which raises the temperature to 210°C/410°F. At these temperature settings, the CRAFTY and the CRAFTY+ offer excellent performance right out of the box and without requiring app connectivity.

The VOLCANO HYBRID features a touch display and does not need the App for temperature control. The App only offers additional features to HYBRID users which are not crucial to the device’s performance.

STORZ & BICKEL will continue to file complaints with Apple and to investigate further possibilities to resolve this issue. We ask our customers to forward any complaints related to this matter to Apple directly.

All the best,

STORZ & BICKEL

Vapenayshyall

Advise please :). I just got a volcano hybrid and is awesome. I bought there reducing chamber and the 40 dosing capsule filling kit. I want to get a portable vape I can readily use when I get home from a night shift. I am leaning towards the crafty 2019 version because it’s the cheapest. More of like a back up vape as I don’t always work nights. Any reason I should consider the crafty + or mighty if I already have a volcano hybrid? Thanks

Vapenayshyall,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Advise please :). I just got a volcano hybrid and is awesome. I bought there reducing chamber and the 40 dosing capsule filling kit. I want to get a portable vape I can readily use when I get home from a night shift. I am leaning towards the crafty 2019 version because it’s the cheapest. More of like a back up vape as I don’t always work nights. Any reason I should consider the crafty + or mighty if I already have a volcano hybrid? Thanks
I'm not sure if mine will be 'good' advice, you be the judge.
In general, I believe Crafty (Crafty- ?) should be left to wander off into the past and be gone, except to the extent that it might be given dirt cheap for the needs of medical users or something. Send 'em all to @Vitolo for a fitting non-profit distribution!
It sounds like you only want to choose between S&B products and I think you may be closing out some really nice alternatives, especially for the use you're describing. Maybe something more convection-leaning and faster heating (maybe even less expensive)?
I do see the beauty of 40 full caps just waiting for you to get home (or in the car?), and having a hand-held to plop one right in!

MGG

If he needs a portable the Crafty+ is still a great choice. I've used both the original crafty, crafty+ and the mighty.

My advice is if you already own a Mighty, don't bother with the crafty+ as it's not much of an upgrade.

If you need a portable for out and about the crafty+ is a fantastic choice.
If you need something with pass-through charging and a bit extra battery then the Mighty is the choice.

The crafty is a good vape for outside, the mighty is a good vape to bring round to a friends house.
Think about what you're realistically doing more.

The crafty and the mighty basically give the same vapour quality.
Mighty is slightly cooler because of the larger cooling unit.
Crafty is slightly different because of updated heating design, slightly more conduction, and slightly more flavor because shorter delivery path. However they are both basically identical.

It really comes down to form factor.

then the only other major difference is onboard screen controls with the mighty (which i personally prefer) or the crafty+ 3 settings or using it through bluetooth for more control.

To me I only use my mighty at 190c so I don't find the crafty's 3 settings to be that big an issue.

Personally if I was in your position I would wait, I'd like to see if storz n bickel do a Mighty+
or a Plenty+. Along with a Ghost MV2 or a vapexhale portable. There could even be a whole new player into the game. If you got a Hybrid that would of been a pretty recent purchase, i'd sit back and enjoy that for a while unless you seriously need something portable.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Ok, did a little research, because this REALLY bothers me on principle ... I found specs on all the Bluetooth characteristics, and how to control it using BLE commands, so ... just need to find 20-30 hours or so, and I'll just write my own app to control it, and then sign it with an Enterprise Distribution certificate/profile, and then for those that are interested, I'm sure we can figure something out and they can then download and install (or maybe I'll distribute it out through MS AppCenter)

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
Any reason I should consider the crafty + or mighty if I already have a volcano hybrid?
YES! YES! YES!
My crafty(11?) have been my DD since it was released ... and I have several vaporizers.
It's a totally different experience from the volcano ... Taste is much better, in my opinion.

Top Bottom