Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

purplegrass

just dropping by to say that I love my crafty. I've had it for a year and half. I don't really use it a great deal, but it is the FIRST thing I grab when i'm gonna go on a bushwalk. It is also the easiest vape I have to use when i'm laying in bed (the volcano is good to, but the bags can be noisy in the silence of night)

I have let 2 other people use it who have never used a vape before, and I was a bit worried they might not get the effects on the first go (as sometimes happens to people who have only smoked) and thus dismiss vaping, but they both loved it and they both asked where to buy one lol.

Its fast to heat up. The hits are very smooth, and I really like 'sipping' on it. I call this my 'comfort vape' lol, as its only ever been gentle to me.

CANtalk

https://www.planetofthevapes.com/blogs/blog/crafty-vaporizer-review

Final thoughts
The Crafty is a fantastic vaporizer and four years ago set the standard for portable vapor that the competition still hasn’t caught up with. It’s not perfect - it’s a little big and slow to heat up, has a high price tag and the battery life is still shorter than most of your other choices. But the vapor is always thick, strong, cool and tasty, and never leaves us wanting for more. If you’re in search of the best vapor that can fit in your pocket, the Crafty has to be at the top of a very short list.

purplegrass

huh, I thought mine was quite fast to heat up. not as fast as the airizer solo 2, but I've always been a patient man anyway :)

I do agree about battery life, but it is perfectly fine for myself, but when I used it with 4 other people it did run out of charge, fortunately we all had a turn.

I also agree about the cool vapor, that is one reason I called it my 'comfort vape' lol. as I never had to worry about coughing a lung up when using it.

definitely recommend as a nice portable vape (seriously, its so good when on a bushwalk by yourself)

Astedra

I started with the crafty 4 years ago, I filled it full every time. Now I'm using the dosing capsules and I get a nice lift for a couple of hours from a .13 . I do that like 8-9 times a day, that's around a gram, and I'm high all day.

voyciz

I just got a Crafty and this thing kills my CFX as far as vapor quality, oh man! Very impressed! I'm only using the dosing cap so that I can keep it clean. Battery life does suck, but as long as this thing is working reliably it will be my primary portable. I wish it went higher than 410, though.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I just got a Crafty and this thing kills my CFX as far as vapor quality, oh man! Very impressed! I'm only using the dosing cap so that I can keep it clean. Battery life does suck, but as long as this thing is working reliably it will be my primary portable. I wish it went higher than 410, though.
Best of luck with Crafty, it's a great vape. Temp that high, maybe you're using water tool (or should be?), so try with a wpa, eliminate the c/u. On the other hand, as a portable, standard configuration is great.
Maybe let the capsule heat-sink an extra minute before starting to draw from it.
Unfortunately, frequent high-temp sessions seem to be one of the best methods to kill the Crafty.

Even when I'm trying to get all I can from a bowl, 410 seems like it's more than enough, though I know some folks likes it hot...

voyciz

Best of luck with Crafty, it's a great vape. Temp that high, maybe you're using water tool (or should be?), so try with a wpa, eliminate the c/u. On the other hand, as a portable, standard configuration is great.
Maybe let the capsule heat-sink an extra minute before starting to draw from it.
Unfortunately, frequent high-temp sessions seem to be one of the best methods to kill the Crafty.

Even when I'm trying to get all I can from a bowl, 410 seems like it's more than enough, though I know some folks likes it hot...

Hey thanks! I vape at high temps I guess because I'm used to seeing higher temps produce more vapor, and I was a smoker before. You're right though, 410 does do a really good job. I don't like to use a lot of equipment and have never been a big glass person. I vape at 410 every time I use my Crafty...are you saying that it won't last like this? I really hope it will because I honestly can't afford another one, these things are so expensive. You know, I always said I wouldn't buy a S&B portable because they are so expensive, but I just had to see what the hype was about. And...it's true, it's all true!

I said I was only going to use the dosing cap, but that didn't last for long. Those things just don't hold enough herb for a long drive or group session. I'm ordering one of those capsule mags though so we'll see what happens. This thing rips :D

voyciz

@voyciz, my Crafty has been going over two years and is still great. I use the original temp settings. Here's the high temp issue wrt the Crafty, maybe the Mighty too.

Thanks for the video, great information there. Man that is ridiculous that they won't honor the warranty after 60 hours...I used mine for over an hour the first day I got it! Well, hopefully that doesn't happen to me, and if it does, I at least have an idea of how to fix it. I wish I could use the stock temps, but those are way too low for me.

voyciz,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
In my awareness, Mighty's have had almost zero heat-related issues.
I believe Crafty's have gotten somewhat better, the first couple of years there were some failures, I went through 4 Crafty's. Every time except for some odd reason, the 3rd time, S&B just sent a new boxed unit. That third time I had to pay something, I forget how much, but around $60 US. They said I had put it through 'too many' charge cycles! of all things. That's history now, I believe the Crafty is a better unit. And we have fixes for the thermal protection failure or battery replacement, though these things may not even be necessary for quite a while, @voyciz .

Having multiple capsules is the definite on-the-go solution. Hot swaps! (But let Crafty cool down sometimes!)

If you crave the higher output, again, think about removing the c/u from the equation, it is maybe more efficient than your particular taste needs. Consider the amount of 'reclaim' these things produce, none of which is being 'delivered' to you. So, maybe a wpa and something like a j-hook (glass stem) mouthpiece. To be clear, most folks are okay with c/u, or going to water with higher temps. It occurs to me that the herb you're putting in may be a factor?

voyciz

Thank you for all the information.

If you crave the higher output, again, think about removing the c/u from the equation, it is maybe more efficient than your particular taste needs. Consider the amount of 'reclaim' these things produce, none of which is being 'delivered' to you. So, maybe a wpa and something like a j-hook (glass stem) mouthpiece. To be clear, most folks are okay with c/u, or going to water with higher temps. It occurs to me that the herb you're putting in may be a factor?

Thanks for the tip, it is a good idea. I don't know though, I kind of feel like then you are using a different vape, and it's not really the Crafty any more. I like having the low profile, sleek mouthpiece for on the go. But yeah, it would sure be nice to never have to clean one of those things again. I haven't had to clean my Crafty cooling unit yet, but I know I hate cleaning the one from my CFX.

As for the herb I'm using, it's sticky and cured but still pretty fresh. I don't dry it out or anything if that's what you mean. Is that what is recommended for the Crafty? As for texture, I've been using the plastic grinder that came with it, which looks to be a fairly fine grind. I've been just filling the chamber/cap to top and tamping it down a little with the orange pick.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
If you use Crafty a lot, having a second c/u is a nice touch. Clean two at once!

There are a lot of tips here about cleaning c/u. Take the two halves apart, pull out mouthpiece. Put all in a ziplock baggie with just enough iso alcohol to cover, then put the baggie halfway into a glass or bowl of hot water. Take it out and give a quick shake every couple of minutes. Should be done in about 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse the parts with cold water, set aside to dry. Re-assemble -- be careful with the small o-ring that sits on the little post, push it down so it doesn't get snagged by the sliding clip when that engages.
Takes a little time, not too strenuous. But, gee, my new Splinter V1 hardy ever even needs cleaning!

Your herb sounds delicious. You don't need a fine grind, that could inhibit draw, particles may pass through either screen, etc. With the orange grinder you may only need one turn to get a nice medium grind. The more you turn, the finer the grind with those things. I was only suggesting that your desire for stronger hits might be a factor of how strong your bud is. That doesn't sound like it's an issue!.

Hey, enjoy!

Astedra

Crafty Blues will kick in after your first warranty request. It only works for months at a time on average I went through 6 warranty repairs with 2 crafties. My second one is still covered, I'm just waiting for it to break again.

@voyciz, my Crafty has been going over two years and is still great. I use the original temp settings. Here's the high temp issue wrt the Crafty, maybe the Mighty too.
I had 6 warranty repairs and only 1 was bellow 60 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

voyciz

I just read the manual and learned I don't even have a warranty since I bought it through a third party. Oh man :(

EDIT: nevermind, it does show on Vape World's website that warranty will be honored, so I should be good.

voyciz,

bulleroi

As I currently mostly use Mighty I borrowed my Crafty to give vaporizing (and herbs... ) a try.

Couldn't find info if more than one phones can be paired with the Crafty? I'm not willing to loose my app data (mainly hours on Crafty) so how should we handle the pairing with multiple phones?

bulleroi,

bulleroi

Thanks @vapviking and @CANtalk !

Ok, so Crafty needs to be paired to my friends phone and later back to mine. And the hours of Crafty remains stored in the vaporizer. The manual could have something describing that hours of the unit does not reset by every new pairing. :)

I had strong confident that this awesome community would help. :)

Mangu

Thanks @vapviking and @CANtalk !

Ok, so Crafty needs to be paired to my friends phone and later back to mine. And the hours of Crafty remains stored in the vaporizer. The manual could have something describing that hours of the unit does not reset by every new pairing. :)

I had strong confident that this awesome community would help. :)
Just out of curiosity....what is your benefit for keeping the hours logged? Wouldn’t it work better in your favor if in the case that the Crafty were to break down they won’t be able to use the hours of use against you?

Mangu,
Hello everyone. Bought my craft 3 months ago in the US and brought it to Brazil. Then with only 66 hours of use it got the ref/yellow lights of death. They asked me to send the crafty to Germany and I said it would be too expensive for me to do that. They asked me to send a video showing the serial number and the problem (lights flashing, won't turn on). I did that, and they said they would send me a new crafty. I asked for the upgrade to the mighty, because each new crafty that comes to Brazil neans more taxes to pay (more than a hundred dollars). They charged me 50 euro for the upgrade. Now I am waiting for the mighty to arrive, and I still have my broken crafty. Maybe I can fix it...

Jut an update: with 143h it the thermal fuse has blown again. successfully fixed it , again. But my Mighty is much better! I use only occasionally my Crafty nowadays

bulleroi

Just out of curiosity....what is your benefit for keeping the hours logged? Wouldn’t it work better in your favor if in the case that the Crafty were to break down they won’t be able to use the hours of use against you?
My Crafty is three and half yeara old so no Warranty anynore. I guess the hours serves my nerdy side and tells me how much I have vaped in the past.

Now my primary vape is Mighty and happy without knowing the hours. ;)

bulleroi,

Hammahead

Well, after 26 months of pretty much daily use, the battery life went down, heating up time went up, so I decided to take S+B's offer to change the battery (and clean and maintain the entire unit) for a lump sum of EUR 70. So I sent it in this Monday, it arrived there Tuesday and Wednesday morning they quoted me EUR 69 for the whole procedure. I got a proforma invoice stating "Replacement machine for non-repairable device" -so, a refurbished, great news. Today I received it, 4 (four) days after I sent it in. Turns out its AN ENTIRELY NEW UNIT with the updated firmware and with the 20% better battery life. Means I got a new unit of latest production for 75 Euros incl. shipping. Wow, wow, wow...

sundaddy

What up FC, it's been a minute! I just bought a Crafty at my local HS. They were having a 420 sale. I think I got a really old one that's been sitting on their shelf for years.The box looked old and the original price tag was faded by the sun. It's an old firmware, but came with a dosing capsule which I didn't think was included until later versions. I'm getting 5 sessions per charge, but after reading post on here, it may be my foot in the door to the Mighty. Are they still giving that option, should it fail? Thanks

sundaddy,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
What up FC, it's been a minute! I just bought a Crafty at my local HS. They were having a 420 sale. I think I got a really old one that's been sitting on their shelf for years.The box looked old and the original price tag was faded by the sun. It's an old firmware, but came with a dosing capsule which I didn't think was included until later versions. I'm getting 5 sessions per charge, but after reading post on here, it may be my foot in the door to the Mighty. Are they still giving that option, should it fail? Thanks
If the box is deep blue and orange, then it's a pretty old one. But 5 sessions per charge is not bad, for a Crafty.
I also think that you can request an upgrade at any time and get a good exchange price. If you're liking Crafty, and can stand the slightly larger format, Mighty is just plain awesome. I can use a Grasshopper for a while, an RBT Splinter for a while, but anytime I return to the Mighty it's a really pleasant, consistent experience.

sundaddy

Thanks for the reply, Yep, blue and orange box. I guess I'll just wait until it gives issues. It doesn't have but an hour or two logged on it, unless it is your understanding that they would be fine upgrading such a new unit.

sundaddy,
Top Bottom