Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
Hey guys,

I'm going to order a crafty but I do have some quick questions:
- is the app required to use it? I.e., is it necessary to set the temperature to something reasonable?
- I've heard about an issue with cheap batteries dying. Is this still the case?
- I've also heard that S+B support is shit; can concrete info on that?

Thanks a lot!
Hi peterchen
In my case I don't need the app. It is possible to vape without the app if you like 180 or 195°C. These are the temperatures which you can use without the app.

The batterie in the crafty is not the best but my second Crafty lasted over 220 hours with original battery. My third vapes for 177 hours and still does!

I had to deal 4 times (3times Crafty,one Mighty) with S&B customers service and I can say it is perfect. Never had to pay for battery or something else!

peterchen

Hi peterchen
In my case I don't need the app. It is possible to vape without the app if you like 180 or 195°C. These are the temperatures which you can use without the app.

The batterie in the crafty is not the best but my second Crafty lasted over 220 hours with original battery. My third vapes for 177 hours and still does!

I had to deal 4 times (3times Crafty,one Mighty) with S&B customers service and I can say it is perfect. Never had to pay for battery or something else!

Thank you!
That was a helpful answer.
So, basically I can expect the battery to die but it'll be replaced by S+B, right?
Any idea what will happen after the 2 year guarantee? If the battery dies then, it's just broken, is it?

peterchen,

Thcgos

Vape Addict
Thank you!
That was a helpful answer.
So, basically I can expect the battery to die but it'll be replaced by S+B, right?
Any idea what will happen after the 2 year guarantee? If the battery dies then, it's just broken, is it?

Actually battery replacement seems to be region specific. I know Australia and some other regions cover battery replacement under warranty, because it is stipulated by their government's laws.

But if you are in the US/Canada, battery it is not covered!
You will have to pay, $70usd for battery replacement (even within the 2 year warranty).

After the 2 years, regardless of region, they will charge you for battery replacement.
$70usd again.

But if something else goes wrong outside of warranty, they will just charge you labour and part replacement. They are generally very reasonable and have good customer service.

Part of why you are paying the premium, I guess.

Edit: Price amended as per @vapviking, thanks bro!

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hey guys,

I'm going to order a crafty but I do have some quick questions:
- is the app required to use it? I.e., is it necessary to set the temperature to something reasonable?
- I've heard about an issue with cheap batteries dying. Is this still the case?
- I've also heard that S+B support is shit; can concrete info on that?

Thanks a lot!
Support is really vg, despite the occasional reoprts from unsatisfied customers here.
I think Crafty becomes less reliable if it's pushed hard and often, like frequent high temp back to back bowls and charges. Mighty seems to be handling that kind of duty better, for me.
It works great, to be sure.
Enjoy!
Edit:
@Thcgos the batteries for Crafty are $70 US, and for Mighty it's $90.

vapviking,
Reactions: Thcgos

InspireAndAdmire

I believe in the U.S. after 70 hours of battery use S&B doesn't cover.. but in Australia they cover unlimited hours of battery.

I really don't have an issue spending $300+ for a Crafty.. but the headache when it breaks, because it will, having to send it in, the process, it's just time consuming.

Do you have to pay for shipping when sending back your device? What does the 2 year warranty cover? After 2 years what does one do, purchase an extension?

InspireAndAdmire,

Smokey Da Bear

This might sound a little crazy but I just want to know if it's possible and if it is, will it work. Have any of you guys ever try to re-claime the leftover oily gunk of the Crafty cooling unit if so how did you do it? Or should i grab a Qtip with alcohol and just trow it away?

Smokey Da Bear,

Thcgos

Vape Addict
This might sound a little crazy but I just want to know if it's possible and if it is, will it work. Have any of you guys ever try to re-claime the leftover oily gunk of the Crafty cooling unit if so how did you do it? Or should i grab a Qtip with alcohol and just trow it away?

Already covered in this thread many times.
However I know it's sometimes hard to find.

So here was my last post on the matter:
http://fuckcombustion.com/posts/908295/

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep

Yes, there's a lot of info early in the thread on it.

Get a small bowl, then disassemble your cooling unit, remove the o-rings and screens and put them in the bowl with the parts. Pour in enough 190 proof everclear until it covers the parts. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then take your brush and start cleaning the parts until there is no resin left on the parts. Take the parts out, let them sit on a paper towel to dry.

While those parts are drying off, take your oil infused alcohol, and strain it through a fine silk screen (50 micro does good), into a new bowl. Discard the particles and clean your silk screen.

Let the bowl sit (I cover it with the silk screen) and evaporate. Once it is completely evaporated, you have decarboxylated oil ready to either eat as is, or add to your bowls or whatever you want to do with it.

The flavor is not the best, but there are a LOT of meds in there, not quiet as strong as shatter, but it's pretty damn close.

Smokey Da Bear

Yes, there's a lot of info early in the thread on it.

Get a small bowl, then disassemble your cooling unit, remove the o-rings and screens and put them in the bowl with the parts. Pour in enough 190 proof everclear until it covers the parts. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then take your brush and start cleaning the parts until there is no resin left on the parts. Take the parts out, let them sit on a paper towel to dry.

While those parts are drying off, take your oil infused alcohol, and strain it through a fine silk screen (50 micro does good), into a new bowl. Discard the particles and clean your silk screen.

Let the bowl sit (I cover it with the silk screen) and evaporate. Once it is completely evaporated, you have decarboxylated oil ready to either eat as is, or add to your bowls or whatever you want to do with it.

The flavor is not the best, but there are a LOT of meds in there, not quiet as strong as shatter, but it's pretty damn close.
Danm that's some good info right there! Definitely gonna have to try that one out thank you bro I really appreciate that info, you da man. #HappyVaping

Smokey Da Bear,
Reactions: psychonaut

vapviking

Old & In the Way

tdriver

Not necessary. S&B will repair for a fee after Warranty period, meaning for a fee you will receive a new unit.

we will see if they will send new units after the warranty.....
my guess is they will just repair the unit, and maybe replace a broken housing for free if it's an older type.....

tdriver,

dxer

I pretty much only buy from PIU...

Hey @biohacker I know this is from a little while ago but I see you're from Canada too--just wondering how the experience purchasing from PIU was? I do have a Crafty already, bought a few weeks ago from a local shop. It came with FW 2.07 which I know isn't the latest. (It is working great after prob 5 hours so far... and loving it!!) I need another unit for a pal who's not so inclined to buy online but I'm thinking the local shops are probably hit-and-miss for recent FW units.

I.e. were there any crazy brokerage fees or taxes from importing from the states? And how did the pricing work out since our dollar is so crazy lowwwww?

Thanks in advance for any info :)

(I figured I'd post in the thread as it may be relevant to any other Canucks with the same questions... apologies if this should have been a PM.)

biohacker

Welcome to FC @dxer! Appreciate the message and happy to share my experience for all other fellow Canucks! Honestly, I don't think you can do better than PIU! Randy is well over and above in customer service and pricing, which coincidentally happen to be two of my most important factors on deciding where to purchase from. Sure others can come close, but none can truly match PIU in my experience!

He ships via USPS so no fees, taxes, etc ever and i've had many orders, some quite substantial! Your miles (km?) may vary!

Mr. Me2

Welcome to FC @dxer! Appreciate the message and happy to share my experience for all other fellow Canucks! Honestly, I don't think you can do better than PIU! Randy is well over and above in customer service and pricing, which coincidentally happen to be two of my most important factors on deciding where to purchase from. Sure others can come close, but none can truly match PIU in my experience!

He ships via USPS so no fees, taxes, etc ever and i've had many orders, some quite substantial! Your miles (km?) may vary!
And don't forget the PIU discount for fc'ers!

MonkeyTime

Good morning all,

I'm still 100 pages or so behind on this thread, Crafty had been working great and after I got past the 32hr mark my first one died at, I felt more at ease.

Last night my fully charged unit wouldn't turn on. The power button feels different, almost mushy, and there's a rattle if I gently shake the unit (with or w/out the cu). This one passed away at 62hrs :rip:

Is the power button something that had been an issue before?

I'll be sending it back in today and requesting an upgrade to a Mighty. I really like the form factor of the Crafty, but even at these hours, Oct to mid-Feb just doesn't cut it.

Something tells me S&B, even with their desktop experience, didn't have a full grasp on the portable challenges. But it's my favorite when working!

I did the math and it turns out I used this unit an average of 33 minutes/day. Sounds about right, 2-3 sessions a day with more on the weekends.

MT

Kaptan

Good morning all,

I'm still 100 pages or so behind on this thread, Crafty had been working great and after I got past the 32hr mark my first one died at, I felt more at ease.

Last night my fully charged unit wouldn't turn on. The power button feels different, almost mushy, and there's a rattle if I gently shake the unit (with or w/out the cu). This one passed away at 62hrs :rip:

Is the power button something that had been an issue before?

I'll be sending it back in today and requesting an upgrade to a Mighty. I really like the form factor of the Crafty, but even at these hours, Oct to mid-Feb just doesn't cut it.

Something tells me S&B, even with their desktop experience, didn't have a full grasp on the portable challenges. But it's my favorite when working!

I did the math and it turns out I used this unit an average of 33 minutes/day. Sounds about right, 2-3 sessions a day with more on the weekends.

MT
One of my units suffered from the same symptoms, a faulty power button, but it seems the most common failure is the flashing red and yellow lights of doom.

MonkeyTime

One of my units suffered from the same symptoms, a faulty power button, but it seems the most common failure is the flashing red and yellow lights of doom.

Can't remember Kaptan, do you live in a colder climate?

Mine sat in my car and it was about 20F outside, can't help but think a cold unit helped break a small plastic nub or tab that pushes a circuit board switch.

I waited until the case came up to body temperature, but the internals probably weren't. Go figure.

Can't wait to try a Mighty. That s my original idea, but someone at a local headshop talked me into the size of the Crafty. I'm looking forward to the heat up time and battery, but but the size!

Healthy green all,

MT

Smokey Da Bear

Am I tapping that ass OR am I rapeing that ass lol let me know guys, I don't want to ruin my mighty Lil Crafty.
I've been using my Crafty for a week now and I find it really good at starting on 150 for 2 minutes then moving up to 372f for 2 minutes then finishing with the booster at 392f. You guys think this is ok or am I pushing the crafty a Lil to to hard? Sorry new to the Crafty and don't want to ruin this expensive beautiful pice of work. Thank you guys in advanced and #HappyVaping

Smokey Da Bear,
Reactions: blackstone

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Am I tapping that ass OR am I rapeing that ass lol let me know guys, I don't want to ruin my mighty Lil Crafty.
I've been using my Crafty for a week now and I find it really good at starting on 150 for 2 minutes then moving up to 372f for 2 minutes then finishing with the booster at 392f. You guys think this is ok or am I pushing the crafty a Lil to to hard? Sorry new to the Crafty and don't want to ruin this expensive beautiful pice of work. Thank you guys in advanced and #HappyVaping
Your temp stepping sounds like a fine approach (assuming that 150 is a typo and you meant 350), just one of many options...keep experimenting!
But don't keep Crafty cranking hot for long periods of time. Moderation...

Sounds like you're joking, but really, don't tap anything! Or, rather, don't tap Crafty on anything, as you might tap a pipe when emptying. This is one easy way to crack housing parts.
Sorry to sound overly cautious, you did ask about how to be careful!

InspireAndAdmire

S&B should make a third installment called the "Shorty". Make it mini and more portable, removable batteries. (If you're listening, I want a free one for the name lol)

InspireAndAdmire,

Smokey Da Bear

Your temp stepping sounds like a fine approach (assuming that 150 is a typo and you meant 350), just one of many options...keep experimenting!
But don't keep Crafty cranking hot for long periods of time. Moderation...

Sounds like you're joking, but really, don't tap anything! Or, rather, don't tap Crafty on anything, as you might tap a pipe when emptying. This is one easy way to crack housing parts.
Sorry to sound overly cautious, you did ask about how to be careful!
Thank you for the reply and yes 150 Was a typo really meant 350. And yeah I didn't meant that tapping that part was a joke lol but thank you appreciate that info. After every session I quickly take out the cooling unit and do a quick brush inside of the heating unit without taking the screen apart to keep it looking like new and not all residuey. Just didn't know if climbing from 350f to 392f was a good or bad thing.

Smokey Da Bear,
Top Bottom