Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Mr. Me2

Well the battery went down hill real fast after 70 hours.
I'm now at 78 hours
Heat up time to 180c above ambient 3:53
I get one session (including heat up time) of about 11 minutes and the battery's flat!

Why are you still using these shitty cells S&B??? There's plenty of alternatives out there.

I'm debating whether I'll warranty return this one or open it up and change the battery myself, which feels very tempting to do right now.... It was only 8 months ago when I initially purchased the Crafty, been through 2 units now but I still have plenty of warranty left so I probably shouldn't void it by opening the unit up just yet..
Be strong! Use the warranty, Luke!

justcametomind

I am too. Even if one fin is broken I don't know if I am eligible for a return.
And I want to be strong too. Approaching 90 hours.
We should collect the money by now for a contest.
The guy who sets more hours with a Crafty without having to return it (pics or it didn't happen) wins a Mighty.

justcametomind,
Reactions: biohacker

Mr. Me2

Great prize! I think I remember someone here with a Crafty with 100+ hours. Beats me by a mile...

And if it's a top fin that could impact cu performance, it's probably a good warranty claim. When in doubt, email S&B. Unless you just want to go for the record...

justcametomind

Great prize! I think I remember someone here with a Crafty with 100+ hours. Beats me by a mile...

And if it's a top fin that could impact cu performance, it's probably a good warranty claim. When in doubt, email S&B. Unless you just want to go for the record...
That guy probably sent it back already and surely no one ever posted pics with username, like in the classifieds, so it could be easily made up. Ha!
Yeah it's a top fin. Thanks for the advice mate.
For now I'm going to run for the prize, also because all in all, it's still my favorite portable. No backup can compare.

I had 166 hours on my first unit before it died. I am currently on my second one with around 35 hours and still going strong! I will say that after getting my second unit I realized I probably should have sent my first one in sooner than I did ( which was when it just wouldn't come back on anymore) but I think I just couldn't part ways with that little beast :shrug::drool:

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
My Cooling unit screen mod:

QXSNJxB.jpg

kkaspar

Got my Crafty on last Wednesday. From ordering to EU, delivery took 1 week. S&B shipped out the 2.10 unit the next day, so UPS was probably just slow during holiday season.
The experience has been very pleasant. As many have already told before me, the initial unboxing was already positive. The materials seem solid and fit together nicely and even the weight of the unit has good balance. The loading tool is also great, I can fill the loading tool so that there is enough medicine for days. The coolness of the vapor is a surprise indeed. I'm used with Arizer EQ bags, so I took in big and strong hits and the entire bowl lasted only 2 hits. I got scared that the unit inefficient, but after 5 minutes I realized that I just medicated myself very heavily :D Now I have learned to put a little less inside the chamber, and to take smaller sips to enjoy the experience more.

One question about charging. Do you guys wait until the unit is in room temperature before you start charging? I know that Li-ion batteries want stable temperatures before charging. So, I'm thinking if the battery is insulated enough, so I could start charging already when the unit is just slightly warm in my hand or do I have to wait until it's totally cool and the same as my room temperature?

Mr. Me2

Got my Crafty on last Wednesday. From ordering to EU, delivery took 1 week. S&B shipped out the 2.10 unit the next day, so UPS was probably just slow during holiday season.
The experience has been very pleasant. As many have already told before me, the initial unboxing was already positive. The materials seem solid and fit together nicely and even the weight of the unit has good balance. The loading tool is also great, I can fill the loading tool so that there is enough medicine for days. The coolness of the vapor is a surprise indeed. I'm used with Arizer EQ bags, so I took in big and strong hits and the entire bowl lasted only 2 hits. I got scared that the unit inefficient, but after 5 minutes I realized that I just medicated myself very heavily :D Now I have learned to put a little less inside the chamber, and to take smaller sips to enjoy the experience more.

One question about charging. Do you guys wait until the unit is in room temperature before you start charging? I know that Li-ion batteries want stable temperatures before charging. So, I'm thinking if the battery is insulated enough, so I could start charging already when the unit is just slightly warm in my hand or do I have to wait until it's totally cool and the same as my room temperature?
I don't know if you need to wait, but I always wait until mine is cool (at room temperature) before I recharge. I haven't gone back to the S&B website or manual to see if they have directions or suggestions regarding this.

And, enjoy!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I don't know if you need to wait, but I always wait until mine is cool (at room temperature) before I recharge. I haven't gone back to the S&B website or manual to see if they have directions or suggestions regarding this.

And, enjoy!

I'm no battery expert either, but my gut tells me that batteries are not quite as sensitive to temperature as humans. Room temperature, great, but warm to the touch (not hot) is likely still within their safety & comfort zone.

Mr. Me2

Ok, you made me go to the S&B site to look for info about charging and unit temperature. I only looked at the battery charging section in the user manual and the FAQ's on their site. I didn't see anything there. It's possible it's tucked in somewhere else, but I couldn't find it. I still prefer to treat my Crafty kindly, so I'm pretty gentle with it and only charge when it's cool.

UnshavenFish

My Cooling unit screen mod:

QXSNJxB.jpg

Nice :tup:

I posted this back in July...

I don't use screens myself, I'm a fill it full then put a bit more in kind of guy :mental: But I have tried a few different screen just to try

Even some dome screens, but IMO the pacman is the easiest to use (fill and empty) and gives slightly better results (from my limited tests) also easier than the liquid pad to remove.

After seeing your post I thought I would give it another try and my opinion has changed, I think my problem the first time was I kept the original screen and added the dome screen, this time I just used the dome and the results were just as good as the pacman screen but with the bonus of the screen being fixed making loading/unloading easier, so I think using two screens when I first tried it gave worse results, it's still a little fiddly to fit the screen but I guess the normal screen isn't all that easy either.

On a battery note.....

Most external chargers will not charge above 40°c (and I have seen some reports of them not working in temps lower than this also)

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_charge_when_to_charge_table

Says here not to charge above 50°c but I would guess s&b set their cutoff lower than this, I do remember members posting that their crafty wouldn't charge straight after use so there must be some protection here.

Also worth remembering that the temp on the app does not mean the battery temp it's the bowl/heater temp.

Personally at a minimum I would always give my battery 5-10 mins after use before charging to let is settle/stabilise :2c: :peace:

Mr. Me2

Nop...
This way the material doesn't fly inside the chamber and you can use less without the top screen technique:rockon:
So it's just the regular cu with your custom dome screen? And it fits back on the Crafty base with no problems? It looks great, and as an improvement to the cut screen (which is an improvement over the pad). Did you replace the existing cu screen, or is this a double up?

UnshavenFish

Nice mod... The dome screen in cu, is it a normal chamber bottom screen?
And how exactly u fix it :huh: very hard...

I used these ones as I already has some that I use in other vapes...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-Ariz...12mm-by-6mm-/281876012321?hash=item41a11e9d21

And a U.S. Source...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Arizer-S...898050?hash=item2ee81fdd82:g:9hgAAOxyyUtSbtzv

They are a little too narrow so need to be gently opened up a little, but they just fit in the same recess as the normal cu screen, once made a bit wider just put it in the gap in the cu then press down on the dome and the edges are pressed into the recess.

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
So it's just the regular cu with your custom dome screen? And it fits back on the Crafty base with no problems? It looks great, and as an improvement to the cut screen (which is an improvement over the pad). Did you replace the existing cu screen, or is this a double up?

Regular CU...replace de original screen by a screen (19mm diam) domed with a marble :brow:

I used these ones as I already has some that I use in other vapes...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-Ariz...12mm-by-6mm-/281876012321?hash=item41a11e9d21

These are very small ...:disgust:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Regular CU...replace de original screen by a screen (19mm diam) domed with a marble :brow:

These are very small ...:disgust:
I think you are using 19 mm flat, then doming them. The Arizer appears to be measured after doming at 12mm.

@Unshaven Fish am I seeing this correctly? At a buck each the Arizer are pricey, but already domed and screens do last a long time...

Top Bottom