Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

natural farmer

My Crafty still hasn't broken anywhere except one of the thin stripes of plastic next to the bowl but I feel you Michel… I have pre-sold it to a friend of mine who will be able to pay for new batteries and warranty shipments easier than me and already ordered a Vapman and waiting for the Grasshopper to hit shelves… Zion seems very interesting as well for home use but I am starting to think an e-nano would be a better home unit if after huge clouds.

natural farmer,
Reactions: Michel

Michel

Thank you for your support... What I read about the enano is very good, I have just no VAS at all when thinking of the enano, don't know why. Looks quite boring. Very stupid subjective way of thinking, I know. Disliked the mighty and crafty at first, too. Took me nearly 2 month reading this entire thread from beginning to now before I pulled the trigger... I'm sometimes strange and irrational when not at work.

But all of my problems are very first world problems. I'll find a way to get high...

@biohacker
I clean my CU when honey drips out or I can't turn out the mouthpiece when cold anymore (if nobody else sucked on it...) It's a real pita to clean. Perhaps I should clean more often ( or vaporize less :lol:)

DoubleVanos

My Crafty still hasn't broken anywhere except one of the thin stripes of plastic next to the bowl but I feel you Michel… I have pre-sold it to a friend of mine who will be able to pay for new batteries and warranty shipments easier than me and already ordered a Vapman and waiting for the Grasshopper to hit shelves… Zion seems very interesting as well for home use but I am starting to think an e-nano would be a better home unit if after huge clouds.

The vapman is a great vape if looking for a zen like experience, and *can* deliver decent clouds. It does have a learning curve and can be frustrating at times, especially after the ridiculously easy to use crafty. Word of advice , get the vapman lighter if you haven't already. It's perfect for the job.

DMPesso

Just my opinion based on feel and all the reports of breaking bits. I haven't had an issue myself, but I baby it. I have had zero plastic taste as well.

Crafty 2.0 sounds like the one for me. Especially if it had a stronger battery, but like you said it performs so damn well, I almost don't even care about any shortcoming! Wow!

Highly doubt they will ever make a 2.0 crafty because that will simply canibalize the sales of the original crafty. Storz and bickel just releases a good well thought out version of something once and that's it. I think when the volcano came out they originally released both models at the same time to seperate the buyers who want to pay more for digital and those who don't care about that. MAYBE they will make an all metal version but that would be too expensive plus probably wouldn't be able to hold it in your hands without burning them off.

I was not denied warranty. What first happened in emails was someone warned me I might be responsible for a battery replacement. I very kindly informed them that I would not be on board for that since I did not feel that less then 3 months of moderate use should wear out an 18650 imo. They responded that they felt I should be covered by warranty. Just be nice and kind when dealing with them and all should be fine.

Thanks man now I feel way more comfortable that they're gonna replace it. I can't imagine them saying it's my fault I did nothing wrong.

DoubleVanos

Highly doubt they will ever make a 2.0 crafty because that will simply canibalize the sales of the original crafty. Storz and bickel just releases a good well thought out version of something once and that's it. I think when the volcano came out they originally released both models at the same time to seperate the buyers who want to pay more for digital and those who don't care about that.

The volcano Classic and solid valve was released first way back in 2000-1. The volcano digital and easy valve came out years later, somewhere around 06 if I'm not mistaken. I've read here that there were even running changes to the solid valve as time went on. There is a picture somwhere on the volcano thread of the old solid valve.

It's not out of line to think that they actually might make revisions or changes as time goes on. We early adopters can only hope they'll offer us some sort of upgrade price or discount :brow:. Wishful thinking...

Michel

Edit: @DoubleVanos was faster...

There will never be a crafty 2.0 imo. But they are continuously improving their devices. Look at the first SV or EV they sold...
But you'll never see a totally reinvented crafty, imo. This is not how S&B is doing R&D from what I saw the last years. Was the volcano changed himself in the last years? Looks like 10 years ago...

Last edited:
Michel,

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
So I end up at THC bright and early Friday morning (Jan/31) as they unlocked the doors. When staff handed me the Plenty I said it looked smaller than I remembered, but the staff said it was the same and it took a few minutes for him to realize it was different!

Plenty went on a crash diet and looks mahvelous!

Apparently I was the first one to buy the just-in improved model.... Whereas before it looked awkward and gangly, with an oversized thermometer, now it was smaller and more streamlined.

In the Plenty thread, someone reported that they got a replacement unit that was significantly updated from their previous model.

DMPesso

Updated and new version are different. New versions will slow sales so they will only update. Now to add some good news they received my crafty yesterday and I get this in my email: "This message was sent to you at the request of Storz Bickel II, to notify you that they have shipped a package to you. For details about your shipment or to track your package, please refer to the information below."

Talk about amazing turnaround time. I guess they know how hard life is without a crafty lol

DMPesso,

VapingCO

Does anyone know what size the crafty screens are? I was thinking about ordering a 100 pack off eBay for cheap if they have the right size. Since I can use them in my LSV I should go through them pretty fast and won't have to worry about cleaning and bending them back to shape. Thanks

VapingCO,

Spinuch

in vapor quality overall, the Crafty wins. The Crafty vapor is cooler, and smoother.
Oh boy, isn't the crafty notoriously hot vapor? Does anybody have a crafty that can explain the vapor quality compared to a solo or am I just being a dick for not going to the crafty thread?

mod note: Moved from the Grasshopper :doh: thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Spinuch,

Weez65

Had a thought today at work about what maybe a possible cause for the tabs breaking that hold the CU in place.

I have not had this problem, so I was trying to think of what I might not be doing that someone else may be. And all of a sudden it hit me. I don't use the liquid pad. Ever. I did twice in the beginning and it left a metallic taste in my mouth the rest of the day. Hated it.

But the thing is, I remember when I used it, I had to kind of cram the liquid pad in and the CU lid went on VERY snugly. More so than when I'm not using the pad. Maybe that was because I was loading too full for the liquid pad, but if I was doing that, then maybe others are to.

Also the liquid pad would get hot and there would be more conduction heat near the top of the oven chamber, nearer to the breaks that have been happening than would be without the liquid pad.

More presure on the joint with added heat seems like a viable reason. I would be very interested to hear from any of you that have had the tabs break, and whether you are liquid pad users, and if so, frequency. Never, occasionally, usually, or always.

If this has been discussed already, my bad. I do read this thread nearly daily so while I haven't went back to check, I couldn't remember it being discussed.

Michel

Never used the liquid pad. Babied Mighty housing broke after 2 months, crafty after a hard drop (or before and I did not see it). In my case a simple fatigue failure...

@Mister G
Thx for the great input.

Be careful with the sticker on the back of new units... Not the same material anymore. Remember of the serial disappearing slowly? Now it's the entire label...

21344673ff.jpg

21344686xy.jpg

I know it's not a crafty, but they should use the same labels...

Last edited:
Michel,

natural farmer

I am always using the oil pad but haven't had a break yet. Never overfill the chamber though plus the pad. On the other hand I am super smooth when attaching the CU...

tdriver

Had a thought today at work about what maybe a possible cause for the tabs breaking that hold the CU in place.

I have not had this problem, so I was trying to think of what I might not be doing that someone else may be. And all of a sudden it hit me. I don't use the liquid pad. Ever. I did twice in the beginning and it left a metallic taste in my mouth the rest of the day. Hated it.

But the thing is, I remember when I used it, I had to kind of cram the liquid pad in and the CU lid went on VERY snugly. More so than when I'm not using the pad. Maybe that was because I was loading too full for the liquid pad, but if I was doing that, then maybe others are to.

Also the liquid pad would get hot and there would be more conduction heat near the top of the oven chamber, nearer to the breaks that have been happening than would be without the liquid pad.

More presure on the joint with added heat seems like a viable reason. I would be very interested to hear from any of you that have had the tabs break, and whether you are liquid pad users, and if so, frequency. Never, occasionally, usually, or always.

If this has been discussed already, my bad. I do read this thread nearly daily so while I haven't went back to check, I couldn't remember it being discussed.

I think (I maybe wrong though) that the breaking is related to the CU when opened hot.
it seems it takes way too much force to do so. at least on my mighty.
as if the rubber seal is glued on both parts cu and vaporizer, and by turning the CU you just stresses the weaker parts more than they can handle.

...time will tell ,once I had find that in the first week I did not open my CU hot anymore.

btw.
I don't use the liquid pad, but I fill the bowl to the max.

tdriver,

Weez65

I think (I maybe wrong though) that the breaking is related to the CU when opened hot.
it seems it takes way too much force to do so. at least on my mighty.
as if the rubber seal is glued on both parts cu and vaporizer, and by turning the CU you just stresses the weaker parts more than they can handle.

...time will tell ,once I had find that in the first week I did not open my CU hot anymore.

btw.
I don't use the liquid pad, but I fill the bowl to the max.

So...So far, no connection with the LP. lol.

What you said about removing the CU while hot, that is very interesting to me, I have not had a break, and I have never felt this. Mine is not "loose" but it opens and closes very smoothly whether hot or cold.

Could it be the CU or heater unit threads are not all machined as precisely as they should be? A very small difference could result in breaks. The lid screws on, and a screw mechanic can apply extreme force with little effort on the users part. If some of the threads were slightly to thick, (especially when the plastic expands with heat?) this would explain the tightness you described and also a reason why the plastic may fail.

tdriver

I don't think so, I bought a second cu and it does the same thing.

a thicker o-ring could also do this.

tdriver,

Michel

Just imagined to overfill with the liquid pad. The upper screen of the CU should pop out really easy if pushed down.

Just be happy and abuse your crafties. If they break it's not your fault, assuming you don't drop them or break them on purpose. The housing is just to thin and S&B will come out with a solution and warranty your units if not scratched overall (and they are hard to scratch...)

Edit:
the slightly smaller light blue o-rings seemed to be the first change.

Edit 2:
I tried turning the light off, but then you only have a quick buzz to let you know when you're at temp, and if you miss it, you have no way of knowing (without looking at a phone.)

Just switch it off and on again. It will vibrate 2 or 3 times right again if on temp.
If you aren't sure if the crafty is still on or already off, just click twice to see if it goes to boost mode, then turn it off and on again.
If already on boost and unsure about on or off, long click to turn off (or on again), then click twice fast to see if it goes to boost (or if you did turn it off yourself) Many clicks (if you miss the first buzzes), some clicks if you listen good to the stealthy language... I'm sure you'll find a way to use it without phone and without light.
This thing can communicate with blind people... (no joke)

Last edited:

HerbieVonVapster

Just thought I would pop on and give an update on my current crafty. This unit was a reconditioned replacement. Had 41 hours on it when I got it back now has 73. Has the newer oring and firmware 2.06.

So far no issue with breakage. I do think the newer orings help. I thought the battery wasn't lasting as long but found out it's just been overheating more often (wasn't using app so wasn't seeing warning). I did a reset and going turn boost temperature down since thats when overheating happens. I notice when it overheat and turns off the battery still flash's the right battery level. It just needs to cool down.

Not sure how heavy use is now abuse. Guess with having a battery meter opens up that line of thinking? Just haven't really seen that reasoning on other vaporizers when units failed.

Guess I jinx'd myself went to enjoy my crafty and got the flashing lights of death got a whopping 32 hours of use. Guess another week or so of lost use time and 10 bucks in shipping. Really hoping next one is at least new, 32 hours is too short. Anyways had to vent a tad hopefully #5 will be a new one and I can get least 75hours outa it.

Last edited:

UnshavenFish

Got my crafty yesterday (well i think, could have been day before I've been using it a lot :rofl:)

I've seen people talking about using it pass through, now my understanding is that its not true pass through as it has to have a certain level of charge to run, meaning it uses more power than it charges.

That would mean doing this would reduce battery life span? Unless this is just my crafty:science:brain getting mixed up lol

If batteries were user replaceable this wouldn't be a big thing, think i will avoid pass through.

Anyway just have to add I'm loving my crafty and its going to be my goto night time/stress time portable,
I would say the vapor is not too different from many others i own, but its the amount you get in a short time that really impresses me, closest to combustion (that nice instant slap like a bong) i have found in a portable:clap:

biohacker

Yep, I don't use the pass-through either simply for that reason. Same with my Arizer Air and Solo. Using/charging at the same time should be avoided if you want to gain the maximum life out of the battery. I agree, it wouldn't be a big deal if it was user replaceable. But at $50usd, who wants to be paying that every year or sooner?

The Crafty continues to impress the shit out of me.... i don't know if i've ever seen such beautiful even brown extracted ABV! It's awesome! On hour 11 now, and treating it like a baby, I don't understand how the plastic can break unless it's dropped or mishandled? Everything is still flawless on this unit, although I understand it's still new.

The wife likes it so much it looks like I may have permission to get a Mighty in addition to Crafty! It's a great time to be alive!

Thanks S&B!

Top Bottom