cost of flower vs equiv mg concentrate?

MinnBobber

I am preparing info for a state meeting on cannabis.
Our abysmal med cannabis program outlaws flowers, requires concentrates.

From a cost perspective, would it be fair to say flower cost per mg would be about
40% of the equivalent concentrate mg cost? This would be cost from a state
licensed retailer,

For flower cost, I'd opt to use a common sale price of an oz.
Is $100 a common sale price? Or even lower?

I'd use 25% THC/CBD so an oz would yield about 7 gram of actives.

What concentrate is best to compare? Type, % actives, cost per gram??

I'd like to have a reasonable cost figure of flowers vs conc.

Thanks for any help---meeting is tomorrow evening.

MinnBobber,
Reactions: Squiby

badbee

I live in Washington state where prices are some of the best in the country ( Oregon is cheaper). Top shelf flower goes for $175 to $250 per oz. You can occasionally get very low quality flower at $100 per oz. Concentrate goes for $45 to $75 per gram.

A specific example I pulled from the web site of a local shop ( https://shop.docksidecannabis.com/shoreline/flower )

Puffin Farm Hindu Kush is $252 / oz, at an estimated strength of 21% total THC that is $0.04 / mg THC

Puffin Farm Hindu Kush Raw CO2 Distillate is $47 /gr, at an estimated strength of 72% total THC that is $0.06 / mg of THC.

That makes distillate 50% more expensive, a big deal for medical patients on a fixed income. In other states the prices can be 2-4 times higher and the difference between flower and concentrate potentially bigger.

Note that there are a lot of reasons why flower is more beneficial than concentrates, look into the "entourage effect".

MinnBobber

Note that there are a lot of reasons why flower is more beneficial than concentrates, look into the "entourage effect".

Yes , that's why we fought so hard to allow flowers---with their 480 elements, including cannabinoids, flavonoids, and
terpinoids. Full spectrum flower is much preferred, if only it was legal here and folks could afford it.

Last time I checked, a gram of tincture conc was $208 :(

And with flower, there are a million profiles you can craft by mixing strains.

Hoping for some movement in the movement here

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I am preparing info for a state meeting on cannabis.
Our abysmal med cannabis program outlaws flowers, requires concentrates.

From a cost perspective, would it be fair to say flower cost per mg would be about
40% of the equivalent concentrate mg cost? This would be cost from a state
licensed retailer,

For flower cost, I'd opt to use a common sale price of an oz.
Is $100 a common sale price? Or even lower?

I'd use 25% THC/CBD so an oz would yield about 7 gram of actives.

What concentrate is best to compare? Type, % actives, cost per gram??

I'd like to have a reasonable cost figure of flowers vs conc.

Thanks for any help---meeting is tomorrow evening.

Totally depends on the state, here in CA rec flower is sold in 3.5g jars, concentrates in 1g. We don't really get any bulk discounts so prices per MG are pretty similar, but also totally varied as there are so many different options. I could spend $30 or $130 for a gram of concentrate.

IMO 25% THC is still considered pretty high, definitely not getting a $100 oz of anything good here from a legal shop. could easily spend $100 on 2-3 premium eights here, depends on what shelf you're shopping on, rare and unique genetics will fetch more money, but can provide more unique flavors and effects compared to typical trendy strains.

I'm a solventless guy, so I'm into hash and hash rosin. Very full spectrum. Very clean vapor. I would put good hash up against flower any day of the week. Not all concentrates are excessively refined.

I would actually say that vaporizing flower (which is also an oil extraction) does not extract all the compounds either as certain components boil above combustion temperatures of the plant material. This is likely a key reason why the medicinal effects are different between the two. Worked with a number of chronic pain patients who prefer dabs / concentrates over flower. And others who get better results combusting. It truly varies, not a one size fits all. I also believe the decarboxylation rate/process has a lot to do with it, even though info on such during vaporization is relatively unknown.

Brewervapesalot

If you live in a legalized state, a grow tent, a $100 to $200 LED light, and soil or bubble hydro kit, will pay for itself just about the first time u grow.

Even if you add climate control, e.g., small humidifier, heater, window a/c, and or water chiller, for controlling your grow room's growing environment it's only a few grows and your paid for.

General hydroponics fertilizer works well, buy in the gallon jugs, just have to monitor PH. Use 50% recommended dose or you'll waste it and/or burn the plant.

I get about 12 to 16 ounces of top shelf flower per grow. I only grow one plant at a time. "Mainline" pruning gives me about 16 fat colas and no popcorn buds, with minimal work harvesting, drying and curing.

Get a simple rosin kit and you got concentrate if that's your bag.

Growing is definitely cheaper than purchasing in Washington State.

Top Bottom