Cold temps and vape storage

Choices

Howdy all,
I have a number of vapes, desktop and portable, I’m not using at the moment and decided to free up some space by storing them in my attic this winter. (It’s a big number.) My question is with regards to the cold air coming through right now. Am I possibly damaging the electronics having them in a close to zero degree attic? I have removed batteries from any units where this is possible but thought I’d call on the wisdom of those at higher latitudes and really low winter temps. Thanks in advance.

Choices,

GoldenBud

0c means STP condition and 25c for NTP condition (1atm for both..) . I can't remember where, but I was reading that it's best not to store your electronics in STP , more like between STP and NTP..

GoldenBud,

GoldenBud

What the heck are STP & NTP conditions?
sorry for too short explanation!

STP stands for Standard Temperature and Pressure, and NTP stands for Normal Temperature and Pressure.

Explanation:​

STP stands for Standard Temperature and Pressure.
NTP stands for Normal Temperature and Pressure.
STP is set by the IUPAC as 0°C and 100 kPa or 1 bar.
Many old books and online sources say that standard pressure is 101.325 kPa (the old IUPAC standard that was changed in 1982), but I defer to the current IUPAC standard of 100 kPa.
NTP is set at 101.325 kPa but uses 20°C as the temperature.
Note:
0°C = 273.15K
20°C = 293.15K

badbee

Temperature is not a big factor for inactive electronic components. Li Ion cells are fine to operate or store down to -20 C (at reduced max amperage). This is straight from the Sony\Murata VTC6 data sheet. Keep everything in tightly sealed plastic bags to avoid condensation issues.

Choices

Just to be on the safe side, I went ahead and climbed up in the attic and brought them back down. I’ve decided to keep them warm and feeling wanted. Plus I’m going to try a few out during the deep freeze we have going on here. Perhaps I’ll get reacquainted with a few I’ve somewhat neglected from a usage standpoint. Thanks for the feedback to my question!

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I live in northern New Hampshire--it was -16F/-26C yesterday--and own a second home in northern Canada(which I missed last year for the first time in 25 years) where it gets to -28F/-33C, and that's before windchill, which is Hurculean up there. At my completely unheated when I'm not there place in Canada, where the outside and inside temps are the same, I have a TV, phone, modem, etc. and two older vapes that I didn't want to carry back and forth across the border before legalization, among other electronic devices(microwave, fancy coffee machine, refrig., etc.) that I leave there in cold damp seashore conditions. Nothing is negatively impacted by the cold. The only issue is condensation when first lighting the stove, and that mostly only effects full glass jars like spagetti sauce and a few solid metal objects. Your vapes are fine in the attic.

To avoid carrying anything that could get me into trouble when crossing the border(though honestly, I smuggled plenty of pot across during all those years), for a while I kept vapes and weed hidden several miles on either side of the border, so that after a clean straight crossing, I could still get stoned for the long journey ahead. That stuff was in simple plastic bags, multiples, often buried under the snow all winter. While I had problems with small rodents getting into the weed, I never had a problem with those vapes--Boundless CF and MFLB--related to being frozen for months at a time. I had paced off my Canada hiding place so I could find it under the snow. I carried a shovel to dig that snow. After coming to room(automobile) temp and recharging, the vapes were always fine.

Last edited:

Choices

I live in northern New Hampshire--it was -16F/-26C yesterday--and own a second home in northern Canada(which I missed last year for the first time in 25 years) where it gets to -28F/-33C, and that's before windchill, which is Hurculean up there. At my completely unheated when I'm not there place in Canada, where the outside and inside temps are the same, I have a TV, phone, modem, etc. and two older vapes that I didn't want to carry back and forth across the border before legalization, among other electronic devices(microwave, fancy coffee machine, refrig., etc.) that I leave there in cold damp seashore conditions. Nothing is negatively impacted by the cold. The only issue is condensation when first lighting the stove, and that mostly only effects full glass jars like spagetti sauce and a few solid metal objects. Your vapes are fine in the attic.

To avoid carrying anything that could get me into trouble when crossing the border(though honestly, I smuggled plenty of pot across during all those years), for a while I kept vapes and weed hidden several miles on either side of the border, so that after a clean straight crossing, I could still get stoned for the long journey ahead. That stuff was in simple plastic bags, multiples, often buried under the snow all winter. While I had problems with small rodents getting into the weed, I never had a problem with those vapes--Boundless CF and MFLB--related to being frozen for months at a time. I had paced off my Canada hiding place so I could find it under the snow. I carried a shovel to dig that snow. After coming to room(automobile) temp and recharging, the vapes were always fine.
Thanks for insights! My own MFLB never went to the attic. It stayed with me here by my electric blanket and cup of coffee. It does make me realize I am happiest just using a couple different vapes and I should let the others go be a joy for someone else. My Ghost, my MFLB, and my Lotus are all I really need. Wait! I forgot about my OHV Micro and my Minivap...:lol:

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
From this I would have guessed Fargo rather than Maine :)
I'm a bit of a weather nut and so have decent quality weather stations at both houses that keep track even when I'm not there. Here in NH it gets down to -20F or below once or twice a winter; lowest I've registered is -28. I've also been hiking in the White Mtns. when it got down to -38. All these temps are before wind chill. Lowest I've ever recorded at my place in Newfoundland by the frozen ocean is -21F but it can be below zero for weeks on end. My primary home is north of the Whites...and its my southern place! Doesn't it get down to -40F in northern Minnesota?

The Good News? I love cold weather vaping, inside or out.

Polarbearboy,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Yeah. I would keep them at indoor temps.

Ramahs,
Top Bottom