Cocaine ads from High Times in the 70s

wrigleyvillain

A Song of Ice and Vapor
Just found this in /r/pics but I knew of them from a friends dad's back issues long ago. For those that don't know High Times didn't begin as a cannabis-specific mag and they even used to have centerfolds of all kinds of stuff incl blocks of blow and stamped bricks of hash from every continent.

Prepare to have your mind blown (heh no pun) by just how much the Reagan Just Say No 80s changed things (though we all know thanks to the internet illicit products sales and marketplaces of all kinds have only grown, if anything). And fortunately the tide has begun to turn re. our favorite substance.

http://imgur.com/a/lv5rD

Last edited:
wrigleyvillain,
Reactions: Squiby

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I stopped buying it when they started with all the coke shit. Originally it seemed to mainly be about herbs, hash, and psychedelics if I remember correctly(I may not)... but I don't feel they ever recovered from the shitty coke years and have been a pretty much a useless rag since then.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Toot was touted to be safe. It was the rich man's high. I'm not sorry I missed it at all. One fewer monkey....

Last edited:

TeeJay1952

I could never figure out (without step and sales) how you could do a gram for $100 on a Tuesday evening. What about the rest of the week?

TeeJay1952,
Reactions: Squiby

wrigleyvillain

A Song of Ice and Vapor
I stopped buying it when they started with all the coke shit. Originally it seemed to mainly be about herbs, hash, and psychedelics if I remember correctly(I may not)... but I don't feel they ever recovered from the shitty coke years and have been a pretty much a useless rag since then.

Interesting; I guess I presumed it was always like this until becoming more like you say in the mid- 80s (pot and psychedelics only) however I admit to not knowing how early it actually began publication offhand.

Yeah I wasn't trying to glamorize coke; I have done enough of it in the past to know why I shouldn't. Mainly wanted to point out this interesting bit of High Times history.

Top Bottom