Cleaning!

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
All this aside, I still need to get the crud off my glass. I have been collecting glass for a decade and use ISO, salt, pbw all the time. As you can see in my sig, I have some glass and have and sold twice that.

My problem is where the crud is, it's up inside the "bell" which has very thin slits. No salt gets in there, especially the coarse variety everyone likes to suggest. The 420 "salt" does get in because it's smaller, but it's not doing anything. What I need is something that can "disolve" the burned on ring of black, because something coarse will not make it into the area that needs cleaning.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
All this aside, I still need to get the crud off my glass.
Well if PBW wont work I can make a suggestion, try some kind of foaming toilet bowl cleaner or drain opener. Some of these may contain lye which is very dangerous. I hesitate to recommend this as these products can come out of glass under pressure as they react and could get on your skin or in your eyes and blind you. If you decide to do something like this PLEASE use proper safety equipment in a properly ventilated area and go slow. You can expect labels to be removed by these types of chemicals.

IMHO this is a very risky procedure so proceed with caution . . . :2c:

Another option may be muriatic acid, also very dangerous.

Justpassedu

All this aside, I still need to get the crud off my glass. I have been collecting glass for a decade and use ISO, salt, pbw all the time. As you can see in my sig, I have some glass and have and sold twice that.

My problem is where the crud is, it's up inside the "bell" which has very thin slits. No salt gets in there, especially the coarse variety everyone likes to suggest. The 420 "salt" does get in because it's smaller, but it's not doing anything. What I need is something that can "disolve" the burned on ring of black, because something coarse will not make it into the area that needs cleaning.
That stain would just drive me nuts , i like clean glass and i am pretty anal about keeping mine clean. I always used Iso and Salt , than moved on to just iso that i had warmed up a bit and still use but most of the time i use Pbw and it does the trick but if you have done this all the only thing i can suggest is pbw , hot water and just letting it soak for a few days than same method once more of hot water pbw and shake. This has always gotten the stubborn stains out for me , sometimes playing the waiting game though while it soaks .

herbivore21

Consider running pressurized steam through the rig for a while, you may find that this clears it up. IME, this often is just the ticket when you get gunk in a perc that large grains of salt etc won't fit into.

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
Ok, so it looks like Simple Green removed the 2-butoxyethanol in 2013. So there are lots of old articles out there that make it seem scarier than it is.

As of 2013 2-butoxyethanol has removed from Simple Green all-purpose cleaner, and has a NFPA/HMIS rating of 0/minimal for Health, Fire, Reactivity, and Special.[5] The company stands by its safety, stating that it is backed by over $3 million in safety testing.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Green

You still can't put it down a drain though. I am gonna keep my bucket and just not let it touch my skin or go down the drain. I always do a water->iso-> cleanest water I can find rinse anyways.

https://www.epa.gov/emergency-response/simple-greenr

One way to tell what bottle you have:

If you see a star beside the UPC barcode on your package of Simple Green, you are holding my "new MO" - a Molecular–Optimized surfactant combined with an optimized builder package

"crystal simple green" sounds interesting too- No color or scent.

http://simplegreen.com/downloads/SDS_EN-US_SimpleGreenAllPurposeCleaner.pdf

Water 7732-18-5 > 84.8%*
Ethoxylated Alcohol 68439-46-3 < 5%*
Sodium Citrate 68-04-2 < 5%*
Tetrasodium N,N-bis(carboxymethyl)-L-glutamate 51981-21-6 < 1%*
Sodium Carbonate 497-19-8 < 1%*
Citric Acid 77-92-9 < 1%*
Isothiazolinone mixture 55965-84-9 < 0.2%*
Fragrance Proprietary Mixture < 1%*
Colorant Proprietary Mixture < 1%*

Last edited:
jojo monkey,
Reactions: ataxian

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
@Tstat do you have an ultrasonic cleaner?

cleaning-pie-chart.png

It seems that the mechanical action is what is needed to get that perc clean on the inside.

Lots of people recommend PBW which works good, but isn't designed to be used in ultrasonic cleaners. I have not seen anyone recommend Alconox. Now I'm not sure if that's because people don't know about it, or if it's not truly suitable for our needs.
http://www.alconoxcanada.ca/product...7e9908a7bdf46674cc5ca?cpath=15&products_id=71

Check out the msds sheet and let me know if you feel it would be 'safe'.

If you're interested in trying it you can get a free sample,
http://www.alconoxcanada.ca/product_info.php?cpath=18&products_id=70

notmyrealUSERname,
Reactions: ataxian

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Now I'm not sure if that's because people don't know about it, or if it's not truly suitable for our needs.
I believe @ataxian started an Alconox thread a while back. IIRC the discussion was just 2 or 3 pages long.

I rejected Alconox for my personal needs because it is expensive and it is not environmentally responsible to put it down the drain.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I believe @ataxian started an Alconox thread a while back. IIRC the discussion was just 2 or 3 pages long.

I rejected Alconox for my personal needs because it is expensive and it is not environmentally responsible to put it down the drain.
I use dish soap and simple green to keep my glass sparkling clean. (RO H2O)

It's cheap and works the best for my situation.
Special product's are a unnecessary for my needs.

I tried every thing and I found KISS to be the right method for me.

DAVID HUME = EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE

I had 40 water pieces. (now only 20 at this time).
hume-bust.jpg

I'm sure you have your convictions?

I will keep away and let you express your position.

I wish you happiness!

I clean everyday so I'm not relevant.
SORRY!

We are in agreement on the EVO at least!

Last edited:

OF

Safety is NOT an accident . . . . :peace:

Amen! In a required safety class years ago the instructor said, 'Safety is not an accident, it's an attitude'. One of the 'students' raised his hand and said 'shouldn't it be a way of life?'. Not often you see the Safety Gestapo speechless, but it does happen. A conversation followed, and IMO a good one, the gist of which was Safety belonged from the very start, not 'inspected into' the project/task. That's the way guys do dangerous stuff and not get hurt. "Stay Safe".

OF

Top Bottom