Cleaning dirty wax...

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot2112

I did some searching and didn't find anything, so let me know if I missed something!

I was hanging out with a friend, and it was a fairly cool night. So cool that the wax I had did not stick to the parchment paper, and instead fell onto my friend's carpet.

I picked it up and looked at it, and it didn't seem too dirty. I blew on it and tried to get it off my fingers and onto the parchment paper, because it was sticking to my fingers already. Took a dab and put it away.

Couple of days later it is looking a little bubbly and almost stringy, and taking a dab just isn't as smooth as it felt before I dropped the wax. I have a feeling tiny fibers from the carpet stuck onto the wax and is causing the stringy appearance. I was wondering if you guys had any idea with maybe cleaning it?

I was thinking of dissolving the wax in isopropyl alcohol and letting it evaporate, and filtering it in an attempt to get the tiny fibers out.

Sorry if I didn't post this properly, mostly was lurking around the forums until now...

woot2112,

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
Yep, I'd say your best bet is to dissolve it (I'd recommend Everclear if available), filter it, and then evaporate. You can winterize if you want to, since you're already going to be dissolving/evaporating.

To winterize, after you dissolve in the Everclear, just put the liquid in the freezer for 24-48 hours. You'll notice it gets a little hazy. Those are waxes/lipids that are falling out of solution. Filter it now and you'll have de-waxed/winterized it.

Definitely not necessary, but can help clean up your wax even more if needed.

thesoloman

I don't know your situation, but i personally would not dab wax that has been on the floor, trash can time:ugh:.
I would not try dissolve and filter either, what if the iso or whatever dissolved the carpet fibers and mixed it even more with your oil, i don't think its worth it overall.

thesoloman,
Reactions: steama

Hashassin

the uniBHOmber
bah, i wouldn't worry about the iso dissolving anything from the fibers because the alternatives are A.dab it the way it is with 100% of the fibers in it or B. throw it away.

while the iso might pick up carpet cleaner or something in the process he was going to dab it anyway, and it will be cleaner if not clean.

woot2112

I appreciate the replies!

I actually dabbed it the same time I dropped it and I have tried it a few times since. It's not too bad, but I notice kinda singed particles on the tool after I take the dab and wipe the tool; I figured its the fibrous material from the carpet. Seemed a little harsher too but maybe I'm being extra sensitive.

In any case I'm probably just going to see if I can resist dabbing this until I get some more wax... Not worth the possible health risks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom