cleaning a screen after combustion?

redrum891

Anyway to clean a titanium screen that had an accidental combustion and has turned black on the screen?

anyway to clean it and make it look new or do I need a new one? I don't really want to torch my screens or even know if that would be a fix.

I'm thinking about buying some simple green crystal but was curious if this even had a solution, chemical or not...

thanks!

redrum891,
Reactions: LesPlenty

LesPlenty

Company Rep
simple green
I just torch mine clean on occasion, I have Simple Green but only use it on glass. It may work but will takes days to work if it is like cleaning a charred banger.
I actually own and recommend an ultrasonic cleaner, my most used accessory for vaping.
s-l1600.jpg

I got a 2ltr job as you can clean stuff up to bong size, stand a bong upright plugged and filled with SG in a bath of water set at 50C for a great clean while your screens are in the water also getting cleaned.

redrum891

I just torch mine clean on occasion, I have Simple Green but only use it on glass. It may work but will takes days to work if it is like cleaning a charred banger.
I actually own and recommend an ultrasonic cleaner, my most used accessory for vaping.
s-l1600.jpg

I got a 2ltr job as you can clean stuff up to bong size, stand a bong upright plugged and filled with SG in a bath of water set at 50C for a great clean while your screens are in the water also getting cleaned.

Yeah I made a post about buying an ultrasonic cleaner and most were against it o.o

Can't use ISO in it with the potential of a spark making it combust too.

Would be perfect if it could clean all my small accessories back to brand new. An iso wash with a handful of q-tips can do 99% but that litte last bit can be near impossible to clean.

Just curious if the screen should just be replaced or if any solution for it. Ultrasonic seems nice but was looking for the cheaper version of it, if I did grab one. (would use it for more than just glass, seems like a good investment for cleaning in general)

redrum891

I have never tried it myself, because iso does the job, but l have heard some people use a water pik to clean it off.

I don't worry about iso causing combustion. It literally evaporates at room temperature.
Odd, I'll try an overnight 91% iso soak on it. I did an hour soak and couldn't get the charcoal looking burnt screen look off. I'm guessing the cherry was big and literally burned the titanium off(or titanium is one of those metals that can withstand insane temps and i'm too dumb to google) or it's just stained super bad and can be lifted off. I tried using a brush too with iso

I guess I should just buy a brand new and not combust in it or not OCD over my current one. Guess a silly question in hindsight...

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Anyway to clean a titanium screen that had an accidental combustion and has turned black on the screen?

anyway to clean it and make it look new or do I need a new one? I don't really want to torch my screens or even know if that would be a fix.

I'm thinking about buying some simple green crystal but was curious if this even had a solution, chemical or not...

thanks
there is a commun chemical cleaning solution that works perfect with black charred gunk but it demands real safety attention.
if you use ~10% NaOH solution (caustic soda) bath, all patina, gunk or rainbow heat patina, will be removed, faster with small pieces you can put inside a leak proof can with 10% caustic soda,and then inside an ultrasonic bath filled always only with water (it get hot after few repeated use), otherwise 24hrs should be enough, warm temp works faster than cold one.
safe with titanium and ssteel, corrosive with aluminium, copper and soft metals
To be cleaned after bath with running water then 3% acetic acid (1/2vinegar/water) bath to neutralize any soda left and clean water to go in the end
it is a slippery feeling on your fingers, like soap, a clear warning you have caustic soda starting to softly melting your skin without any pain, and you need to put vinegar on your hands ASAP. Use gloves and eyes protection and all written warnings on the bottle.
Results are for me 100% perfect. Gold on vapcap aureum didn’t go away but the rainbow coloration induced from many heat cycles of my vapcap ti-tip was gone, same on Ssteel, grey as new (Inside and outside).

edit: i was able to make like new also the oven of my pax, always with soda, very little on a q-tip

ElMetrico

Whenever combusting, mostly in a dynavap BTW, I just throw it in isopropanol 90% or ethanol (absolute), comes out clean most of the time. If it doesn't then I clean it with a dampened towel after which I throw in in the alcohol again. Never has it not come out clean after this last step.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Can't use ISO in it with the potential of a spark making it combust too.
You can use iso, just use it in a plastic test tube,or beakers, just don't be a dumb-ass and fill the unit with iso and heat it past safe levels,
seen here adding a bit more poison to aluminium capsules,
img_20190604_170322-jpg.9785

Here in water cleaning a little globe,
20190612-093902.jpg

Mine again with iso in a test tube suspended in water with other stuff just in the water,
img_20191023_201801-jpg.13979

Quite a few years cleaning this way and I am not dead yet and have not burnt down many houses.:lol:
edit, that 19mm ruby insert has a crack in it now that is unknown how it happened:2c:

redrum891

I tried iso all night and still the black color is on the screen when looking at it through light., it isn't material as I can use a brush to move it.

the black stuff from combustion, can it be cleaned with iso for sure or should I just grab crystal green or new screen needed to get rid of it?

oh he said discoloration, well rip. guess need a new screen if i want it for ocd reasons. so iso cleans it up to be good as usual though right?

redrum891,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
oh he said discoloration, well rip. guess need a new screen if i want it for ocd reasons. so iso cleans it up to be good as usual though right?
Iso would kill any germs but the black will be there for good. If I think a screen may be suspect of contamination I torch it to glowing red hot and all good. OCD about colour is your only nemesis, buy screens by the 100 if you can is my motto.:tup:
S&B, CH Ti is the exception as there are so expensive!

redrum891

Iso would kill any germs but the black will be there for good. If I think a screen may be suspect of contamination I torch it to glowing red hot and all good. OCD about colour is your only nemesis, buy screens by the 100 if you can is my motto.:tup:
S&B, CH Ti is the exception as there are so expensive!
ball vape titanium screens are expensive! :(

redrum891,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
ball vape titanium screens are expensive! :(
Blaze that clean for sure. Ti can be taken back to the grey/silver colour by using one or two nasty acids, Googled just for you,
Nitric acid is an excellent passivating agent for titanium and may be used alone or with hydrochloric acid to clean titanium surfaces
And for removing anodizing,
Any cleaner that lists hydrochloric or sulfamic acid as an ingredient can be used to remove anodization.

Top Bottom