CBD for pets

tepictoton

Halo,

did not know to put this here or in the medicial discussion thread.

My dog has been diagnosed with artritis, and was wondering if cbd drops would be a good option for him.

If anybody has any experience I would love to hear about it, and find out what is a good product to use (so many out there, which one to trust?)

Do keep in mind I am located in Europe...

thank you

Marihuana

Iso Tensei
Have you checked to see whether your country allows full-strength CBD medicine, outlaws it, or requires all hemp products to be 0.2% THC or less?

For a long time I have considered using CBD as a treatment if one of my pets were to have their lives changed by illness. They deserve the type of care we would consider for ourselves. However, my cats are in good health so I don't have any firsthand experience.

Marihuana,

tepictoton

In Spain... Let's say things are unclear...

Found a company called im-bue and they seem to have drops tailored for pets.

Although I wonder if a normal bottle (hemp derived 2,5%cbd) would also be an option?

The dog specific one just has a lower percentage. So I could just give him one of the 'normal' drops in stead of the recommended 6 for humans?

tepictoton,
Reactions: Marihuana

Marihuana

Iso Tensei
Sounds like you're in the right place. I feel like you could get away with giving him a drop to barely even half a drop to start out. Dogs are much more sensitive to noids than we are, even more so beyond the weight difference. Better to start off slow so he doesn't think you're trying to kill him.

fågel

᚛ᚓᚐᚅ᚜
older thread but i'm in california and a local pet store carries cani bits. each treat is is 1 mg of cbd i think. their dosage chart:
Dogs under 20lbs
1 - Cani Bit every 12 hours
Dogs 21-44lbs
2 - Cani Bits every 12 hours
Dogs 45-95lbs
3 - Cani Bits every 12 hours
Dogs over 95lbs
4 - Cani Bits every 12 hours

my dog is 16.5 yrs & it keeps him moving for the most part and able to enjoy the last of our time with him. there is a really noticeable difference when he has his cbd or not. so yeah, i'd definitely recommend it! if you can dose food or something with an oil/tincture that would probably be a safe alternative to a specialty dog treat; i do believe there are various sites to get cbd/hemp oil in europe but i don't have any good information about any of them. good luck to you, i hope you can get your dog some relief!

AtomicPB

A friend of mine has a dog with epilepsy and there is no suggestions regarding a good treatment anymore, since evrything has already been tested. As my friend with the dog is almost a veterinarian (last semester of University) he had the idea of giving his dog CBD since he read an encouraging medical article about it.

Sadly, he could not try it yet, since as a student he lacks the money for the CBD at the moment. So, I don't have any information regarding the dosage.

Legal products in Europe (at least germany) seem to be available from the linked Online Store. I do not know about the quality of the products but I have ordered more than once from them and consider them trustworthy.

https://verdampftnochmal.de/en/CBD-Oil-and-Hemp-Extracts
https://verdampftnochmal.de/en/CBD-Oil-and-Hemp-Extracts

AtomicPB,

C No Ego

My local vet has a good article on using cannabis or hemp with dogs including dosage and how to make your own oil:
http://hawthornevet.com/resources/medicinal-cannabis-pets
I used cannapet with my dog when I first got her because of PTSD. But based on the article I'd stay away from THC and especially human edibles.

if you think the opposite of how illegal cannabis is bred now then thc can be used... now, cannabis contains mopstly thc with a litle cbd in it... well, flip that and have mostly cbd with a little thc in it... that is best imo as thc provides just as much therapeutic potential as cbd, but thc has to be tailored just so in ratio amounts

Elfgrin

If your country allows it try to find cannabis-derived cbd instead of hemp-derived. It can be much more effective even at significantly lower dosages.

Elfgrin,

guyonthecouch

If your country allows it try to find cannabis-derived cbd instead of hemp-derived. It can be much more effective even at significantly lower dosages.
do you happen to have any links on research/studies proving this statement? not questioning you, just very curious as to why this would be true :)

guyonthecouch,

Elfgrin

do you happen to have any links on research/studies proving this statement? not questioning you, just very curious as to why this would be true :)

This is just something I've observed from speaking to patients who have just received a prescription and are transitioning from hemp CBD products to cannabis-derived oil. There's a lot of dogma out there that says "CBD is CBD" but I think that's as much an oversimplification as the old "weed is weed." Even if we accept the assumption that isolated molecules of CBD aren't tangibly different when they come from distinct sources, most CBD products aren't an isolate. There are going to be many trace cannabinoids and other bioactives present, all of which interact with each other in complex ways that aren't fully understood.

There's nothing yet that I would say proves it, but at least one other clinic has had similar findings: http://www.greenbridgemed.com/cbd-therapy-schizophrenia/

I should also probably add that I've seen a huge variance in how people respond to different cannabinoid profiles, even with seemingly identical symptoms, so it wouldn't surprise me to find out that there are certain people or species that respond better to hemp than to cannabis products. I just usually find the opposite.

little maggie

The article I posted from the vet is in conflict with this and
Wondering why you think this. The article from the vet I posted says: "we have seen beneficial therapeutic results in our patients using CBD products derived from industrial hemp, particularly in pets with arthritic pain and anxiety issues. It explains the difference between the 2 forms of CBD. Hemp is safer for dogs. Dogs are more sensitive to cannabis than people so generalizing from human experience is not necessarily a good idea.

little maggie,
Top Bottom