1. If the Herbalizer was a fortune cookie what would it say? Tell us and win it!
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Carbon Filters

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by OkTree, Dec 10, 2012.

1. OkTree

OkTree Member

Hi,

I tried searching for "carbon" on FC but didn't find much. Was hoping to start a thread to incite discussion on carbon filters. I have never used one, so I was really hoping for a lot of feedback.
    What are pros/cons?
    What are the main differences between having one/not (taste, aesthetics, etc.)?
    Was it worth the price paid?
    Favorite manufacturer (if any)?
    Science-related articles?
    Does it remove any of the potency of the product?
  2. kingofnull

kingofnull ace

I'm actually a huge fan of carbon filters for combustion. They keep your glass clean and although they do reduce the flavour slightly, I find carbon filtered smoke less harsh.

The best carbon filter I've used is from Oregon Glass Blower on ioffer: http://www.ioffer.com/users/oregonglassblower. It's priced around $20-30 and has built in glass pinches to hold the carbon - no screen needed. He also included a ton of activated carbon.

I've heard suggestion that potency is reduced from filtering through activated carbon, but I can't say I've really noticed in my tests.

I found this on rollitup a while ago: http://www.lenntech.com/library/adsorption/adsorption.htm#ixzz0iEA0nCB3
    but I think it's a pretty big jump to assume that a noticeable amount of actives are filtered out.

I can't think of any reason you'd want to use a carbon filter for vaporization.
    OkTree and Tweek like this.
  3. Tweek

Tweek Well-Known Member

Not worth it for vaping only, IMO. But if you are still combusting, Kingofnull pretty much covered it. The only filter I preferred using when combusting, was water.
    OkTree and kingofnull like this.
  4. OkTree

OkTree Member

5. kingofnull

kingofnull ace

Weight has nothing to do with it.
    smokum likes this.
  6. OkTree

OkTree Member

In terms of information provided, there is a lot :p
  7. kingofnull

kingofnull ace

Just a little Back to the Future reference ;)
  8. mmenzie

mmenzie My friends call me "Menz"

i got the reference and laughed!!!! Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull in 1985???
    kingofnull likes this.
  9. OkTree

OkTree Member

Oooh I have never watched

>.>
    kingofnull likes this.
  10. kingofnull

kingofnull ace

It's funny, I somehow knew you were going to say that. The second one was always my favourite.
  11. smokum

smokum The Guy Your Mother Warned You About

As mentioned, I too don't see any advantage to using one with traditional vaping EXCEPT when 'flash vaping' dabs of concentrates on an oil rig/bub. And in that case its to reduce the waxes/resins that irritate my bronchs/throat.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors