1. Thanks to some very special members we were able to help those in need.
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

cannibinoid receptors health related query

Discussion in 'Medical Discussion' started by drno66, Feb 7, 2014.

1. drno66

drno66 New Member

I was skimming over on Wikipedia and came a across a rather eery paragraph in the cannibinoid receptor article, an exact rendering of said paragraph follows:
    "
    Cardiovascular activity[edit]
    Recent studies have also suggested that activation of CB1 receptors in human and rodent cardiomyocytes,[22][23] coronary artery endothelial and inflammatory cells[24][25][26] promotes activation of mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinases p38 and JNK, reactive oxygen species generation, cell death, and cardiovascular inflammatory response both in vitro, as well as in models of heart failure, atherosclerosis and vascular inflammation".

a rather curious statement i think you'll find..
    Captain Comply and lost nebula like this.
  2. djonkoman

djonkoman Well-Known Member

I just read the first article(22), since I am on my university's network I have full access to these articles. if you want me to quote any part of it, just ask.

in the case of the first article, it speaks only about a specific situation. it's about some kind of anti-cancer drug, called DOX:
    apparently, it has a problem though:
    and apparently, in this case blocking the CB1-receptors(administering an antagonist, rimonabant in this study) helps against the cardiotoxicity.

I still have to read the other articles, but so far I would say it's a bit quick to make conclusions out of this for the situation not involving DOX. the first article does make some mentions in the discussion, like this:
    but that's outside what this article discovers, I would have to look at the references to see what's behind that.

reading the 2nd article now, it's about the same situation, but it has some additional info:
    and the conclusion:
    now taking a break, but if you have any questions about what it says just ask, I realize some of these terms may be unknown for many, and while I'm not an expert either, I do recognise most terms from either my cell biology or genetics classes.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors