Cannabis and Trump's 1st 100 Days

steama

What will Trump's first 100 days mean to our cannabis community?

Now that the election is over there are now questions of how president elect Trump will govern. Of special concern is what it will mean to the cannabis community. There has been talk about Rudy Giuliani and Chris Christie as the nation's attorney general which could be of concern, especially that Christie is rabidly anti cannabis. He is the antichrist of cannabis.

The Cannabist
By The Cannabist Staff
PUBLISHED: NOV 10, 2016, 11:11 AM

Two names, Chris Christie and Rudy Giuliani, and what they mean for legal marijuana

Ponder these names: Chris Christie and Rudy Giuliani.

Are these names more dangerous for the cannabis legalization movement than that of Donald Trump?

“It’s certainly a reason to be concerned about a Trump administration,” Taylor West, deputy director of the National Cannabis Industry Association, said on this week’s Cannabist Show. “While Donald Trump has been sometimes supportive, sometimes not, sometimes falling in between on marijuana issues, Chris Christie has been pretty darn clear about where he stands — and it’s not been favorable to the industry.”

Marijuana industry attorney Brian Vicente, a partner at Denver-based law firm Vicente Sederberg, noted that Christie could have shut down New Jersey’s still-growing medical marijuana program if he wanted to — but he didn’t.

“At the end of the day, even Christie and Giuliani can probably read a poll,” Vicente said, pointing not only to legalization’s big day at the polls on Nov. 8, 2016, but also the most recent national polls that show 63 percent of Americans supporting legal marijuana.

Watch the full interview — with West, Vicente and Cannabist editor Ricardo Baca — above.

link to story and video

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Uh oh, looks like Christie just got demoted.

He was leading the transition team but now he's second in charge. And they are saying he wasn't arround during some key meetings today. Possibly Trump is cooling to having big boy around with all the shit following him. Good news for us so far.

I had always liked Rudy, but I am learning that he is no slouch in cannabis oppression also. Let's face it though, the very job of AG generally means they're not going to be waving the cannabis flag. Maybe someday in the future when it becomes more accepted. All these recent referendums are a major shot in the arm for the cause and sends a big message to the feds. Especially a new president who doesn't need to add more people to the I hate Trump list.

Trump's first test may come sooner than later. There's a couple of articles from Maine stating that the governor is going to ask Trump if he will enforce the federal law against cannabis possession before he considers signing off on the passed state referendum. Sounds like Trump has a real pal in that governor. He's got 10 days before the law must be signed.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
During the pussygate tape Christie was missing in action. He didn't show loyalty.

I'm hoping Trump doesn't put the brakes to cannabis. He really can't be trusted. He will say one thing and will do another. He allows some folks to really influence his choices. That's why Rudy and Christie makes me nervous. The two are very anti cannabis.

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

During the pussygate tape Christie was mission in action. He didn't show loyalty.

I'm hoping Trump doesn't put the brakes to cannabis. He really can't be trusted. He will say one thing and will do another. He allows some folks to really influence his choices. That's why Rudy and Christie makes me nervous. The two are very anti cannabis.

I am equally concerned.

For now I have hope in the fact that there is strength in numbers. There were only a few adult legal states before, now there's a shit ton. That's a lot of states to be fucking with.

Scott A

I really dont see the need for concern here. Trump is pro-marijuana atleast on the medical side. We need to put a stop to the fear mongering.

CarolKing

Do you really think a Rudy Giuliani Attorney General would think cannabis is OK? I don't see us making any gains federally now. Trump allows people to influence his decisions way too much. Even if he thought at one point cannabis was a good thing I can see him flip flopping.

It's called reality not fear mongering. I hope I'm wrong. Its totally up to the states - we are on our own. We bide our time for 4 years. I would hope that we wouldn't have to worry about our fav forum here. I worry about Trump taking away some of our rights.

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Do you really think a Rudy Giuliani Attorney General would think cannabis is OK? I don't see us making any gains federally now. Trump allows people to influence his decisions way too much. Even if he thought at one point cannabis was a good thing I can see him flip flopping.

It's called reality not fear mongering. I hope I'm wrong. Its totally up to the states - we are on our own. We bide our time for 4 years. I would hope that we wouldn't have to worry about our fav forum here. I worry about Trump taking away some of our rights.

I was recently watching some of the talk show episodes on The Cannabist site. There are definitely a number of lobbyists who see the important role of getting into those conversations at the federal level and having some positive influence. As one of the ladies on the show stated, we might not know what Trump's group is going to do yet because they might not know yet. Some positive lobbying might help guide in some way.

There is the clip that we have seen from a year ago where Trump states that recreational should be "Up to the states. State to State." If he switches on that statement then I will personally never forgive him for it. :peace:

Asternlemming

I've read the election/political thread(s) on FC since the start of the election season. I've refrained from commenting because this election was so emotionally charged I didn't think real substantive conversations were likely or possible. Now that it is over and decided, I feel obligated to be part of the conversation and am attempting to maintain a positive outlook and respect for all sides of every argument. For this particular policy I think there is a potentially positive outcome. Here's my positive spin and with no political leaning or prejudice intended.

- Trump has stated on a few occasions he supported medical and leave recreational to the states.
- States rights are central to the conservative view of constitutional authority espoused by much of Trump's base...and a majority of states have passed legislation providing legal access to cannabis.
- According to my math (which is likely wrong after an evening with my sticky brick) >25% of US population has access to legal cannabis and ~20% recreational is legal. That's significant and politically persuasive amount of people who have already collectively decided. AND 60% of all US support.
- For all Trump's rhetoric on the campaign trail, historically and traditionally campaign rhetoric has been just that, not necessarily indicative of what actually makes the agenda. I doubt a person able to succeed in reality TV strays far from that model. A radio personality I listen to often (Rick Unger) said something to the effect of "trump was traditionally a stereotypical NY liberal and may prove to be the opposite of GW who ran as a moderate and turned out to be far right...Trump may be a far right in campaign speech but centerist
in actual personal preference.

For the issue of cannabis reform and its impact of justice reform I think ( and hope) momentum will be maintained.

MyCollie

I really dont see the need for concern here. Trump is pro-marijuana atleast on the medical side. We need to put a stop to the fear mongering.

Ethan Nadelmann expressed concern and also tweeted on November 8th:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ethannadelmann/status/796254605852164100

The prospect of Rudy Giuliani or Chris Christie as attorney general does not bode well for marijuana reform

Mike Pence reinstated mandatory minimums in his state.

Trump is irrelevant.
He will be a puppet of the Congress and Senate.
All progressive thought and gain is at risk.
The entire 21st Century is being targeted by Ryan, et al.

This too.

Last edited:

MyCollie

It's important to stay vigilant and know what's going on in your state regarding cannabis. Americans for safe access is a great resource. So glad for the good news during the election for cannabis at least. Maybe not the prez election.:rockon::leaf:

Great organization. I would also recommend the Drug Policy Alliance for reform information.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/news

Let's hope this administration will roll with public opinion.

utekai

Great organization. I would also recommend the Drug Policy Alliance for reform information.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/news

Let's hope this administration will roll with public opinion.

This will be the first administration in a long time that is not controlled by special interests.

It's hard to believe Trump/Pence will work against the people.

Restrictive marijuana laws have been well documented to be the result of special interests.

If the corrupt and criminal democrats were elected, it would be more corruption, more crime and more special interests walking on the people.

Hillary was exposed as a cheater, getting questions ahead of time. Cheater, liar, thief. That CNN fired Dirty Donna for cheating, and yet the DNC had kept her on as its Chairman shows the true foundation of the DNC and all its people ... liars, the corrupted, the criminal and the self-serving. Democratic party is rotton to it's core and those good people who voted democratic show the power of corruption to deceive.

Glad that the incoming administration will come in with clean hands and a clean conscience.

MyCollie

This will be the first administration in a long time that is not controlled by special interests.

It's hard to believe Trump/Pence will work against the people.

Glad that the incoming administration will come in with clean hands and a clean conscience.

What is Pence's track record in Indiana?

MyCollie,
Reactions: j-bug

CarolKing

Not that this has anything to do with cannbais but Mike Pence wanted his state to have funerals for miscarriages and abortions. He also believes you can pray away being gay and make a person straight. If that gives you any ideas as to how the person thinks.

He's not fully on board with medical cannabis is what I've read. He could possibly be persuaded, it looked like. He has a hard line I believe on legal, not sure if he would leave it up to the states?

Trump is going to be an older president he's 70. Anything could happen and we would end up with Pence.

A lot of unknowns regarding cannabis in the Trump presidency. It will be hard to put the genie back in the bottle IMO. It's difficult taking freedoms away once voters achieve them.

Last edited:

MyCollie

I'm thinking the only way this administration could become pro-cannabis is due to potential tax revenue it would generate. And then we would have to worry about big marijuana.

Ultimately, I don't think there's any chance whatsoever we'll be set back "80's style." However, with Pence, who knows. He reminds me of the 1980s-early 1990s (those days!) and it blows my mind. He's 57 years old not an 87 year old man! Stepping up Mandatory Minimums? What's next?

Maybe that's what's so scary this time. Nobody really knows.

MyCollie,
Reactions: CarolKing

neverforget711

I wouldn't fret too much about His AG, Eric Holder was rather impeding himself and that is important to keep in perspective.

neverforget711,

BabyFacedFinster

Attorney General's hate marijuana. It's in their freakin' genes.

The AG and the marijuana are natural-borne enemies from way back to pre-historic times. Real old testament shit.

Vape on brothers and sisters :peace:

BabyFacedFinster,

HighSeasSailor

Cannabis Industry Not Worried About Trump Presidency

The people with money invested in it are evidently not overly concerned.

Trump's own commentary is that he supports medical and believes recreational should be up to the states, which is perfectly in line with the general Republican attitude of states' rights. This is also why 'pubs are unlikely to push the cannabis issue, because doing so would force a showdown over federal vs states' rights, and the GOP relies pretty heavily on states' rights for a lot of their platform and legal strategy.

Is there any legitimate reason for fear in this specific regard, other than nebulous statements of Trump's unpredictability or some improbable series of events leading to someone else being president (if we're talking age, Hillary is practically the same age as Trump, isn't she? So who cares?)? I haven't found a single thing to indicate that Trump will make cannabis a priority at all, and given that legal cannabis currently has greater popular support than anyone who ran for president this year (and most who ran for congress), it seems a poor choice of pet issues to get tangled up in.

BabyFacedFinster

In the end, this might not be about marijuana at all. It ends up being about States rights.

I don't think they like marijuana or alternative lifestyles but it wouldn't be good publicity to start yanking back freedoms that citizens have already been given. Especially those rights that came through referendum which shows the will of the people. He has already re-stated that he won't mess with gay marriage and that has been granted by states.

You think he or Pence is gonna tell California they can't smoke pot? Good fucking luck.

Here is my guess in Trump's thinking. If you're a citizen, you deserve the rights and can keep them as long as they're from a State and not us. And, if you're one of those illegal non-citizen's, then you don't get those rights or any at all. I'm just looking into his mind and taking a guess.

Last edited:
BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: RelaxedNow

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
As Bernie said in an interview on CBS today (I saw it on yt):

Q: But ultimately what do you think went wrong? Today she is blaming James Comey and the letters.

Bernie: This is what I think went wrong. Is What Trump did very effectively is tap the angst and the anger and the hurt and the pain that millions of middle class working people are feeling. And what he said is I Donald Trump I'm going to be a champion of the working class. I know you are working longer hours for lower wages. And seeing your jobs to China. You can't afford childcare. Can't afford to send your kids to college. I Donald Trump alone, I can solve these problems.

But what we're going to do Gail is we're going to hold Mr. Trump accountable and we have all the things that he said and we're going to say to Mr. Trump, "If you have the courage to actually stand up to the big money interests and the billionaire class. If you have the courage to in fact develop policies that will improve lives for working people count us in. I'm going to work with you. You want to rebuild the infrastructure? You want to raise wages? You want to end the disastrous trade policies that send our jobs to china. You want pay equity for women? We're on your side."

I wrote that up for you guys after watching it.

tl:dr Weed is probably okay by Trump himself. And we can expect Berniecrats to work with Trump to support popular policies...left unsaid is like weed legalization.

thisperson,

YungLeaner

I don't think a Trump presidency puts cannabis in great danger. Christie, Giuliani--these men want power, they don't care about pot in 2016. Perhaps I am too optimistic but opposition to cannabis access these days is just a losing political position these days, inarguably according to all polls and proposition results--not to mention the electorate, which skews heavily to the older demographics when it comes to pot support, is getting legal every year.

I do think a Trump presidency puts our personal rights at stake, somewhat, although I am an optimist and think he has enemies within his own party in Congress and think that Trump himself is just an egotistic centrist who can't resist giving a crowd what they want.

Pence's political history is that of a vile social conservative. I have nothing against socially conservative people that I know, that I'm related to--because they hold values and do not force them upon others. Trump said on 60 minutes that he wants to repeal Roe Vs. Wade and that sickens me, thinking of the women unable to terminate an early pregnancy because a bunch of pissed off white guys said it was murder.

Of greater concern than pot (because like I said, pot's going nowhere--Ted Freaking Cruz is behind pot legalization, that should tell you something, the man is a pastor, lol) is Trump's apparent admiration for Vladimir Putin's strongman politics and dictator tendencies, such as the annexation of Crimea and the placement of troops in Ukraine, not to mention Putin's horrific treatment of gays and countless ordered assassinations. Politics in America took a turn for the worse this election. Choosing a thrice-bankrupt sexual harrasser/assaulter with a propensity to retweet neo nazi websites and fear-monger, pressing the pulse of America's racial button...let's hope America itself can pull together, help teach Trump what we want, help him achieve it, and choose this time of confusion as a time of learning and unification.

BTW I would have l-o-v-e LOVED michael bloomberg, an actually competent billionaire...

A couple of counterpoints -
- States rights are central to the conservative view of constitutional authority espoused by much of Trump's base...and a majority of states have passed legislation providing legal access to cannabis.
This is not strictly true - for an easy example, DOMA. When states began moving toward same-sex marriage on a state-by-state basis, conservatives happily passed (and Bill Clinton signed) a law abrogating it.
Much as the Democrats are broadly the party favorable to civil liberties but willing to infringe when it suits their needs, Republicans claim states' rights and move against them when it suits a broader need (usually social conservatism).

- According to my math (which is likely wrong after an evening with my sticky brick) >25% of US population has access to legal cannabis and ~20% recreational is legal. That's significant and politically persuasive amount of people who have already collectively decided. AND 60% of all US support.
Every recreational state went for Hillary and most medical. Just as a Democrat wouldn't have to worry about losing Oklahoma by moving against something its citizens have voted for, Trump has nothing to lose cracking down on California marijuana.

Public opinion has a statistically insignificant effect on public policy - what matters is money. Trump got $30mn+ from Sheldon Adelson, the biggest spender on prohibitionist causes, and another chunk of cash from the private prison industry. If a major donor calls in his chips, politicians listen.

YungLeaner

A couple of counterpoints -

This is not strictly true - for an easy example, DOMA. When states began moving toward same-sex marriage on a state-by-state basis, conservatives happily passed (and Bill Clinton signed) a law abrogating it.
Much as the Democrats are broadly the party favorable to civil liberties but willing to infringe when it suits their needs, Republicans claim states' rights and move against them when it suits a broader need (usually social conservatism).

Every recreational state went for Hillary and most medical. Just as a Democrat wouldn't have to worry about losing Oklahoma by moving against something its citizens have voted for, Trump has nothing to lose cracking down on California marijuana.

Public opinion has a statistically insignificant effect on public policy - what matters is money. Trump got $30mn+ from Sheldon Adelson, the biggest spender on prohibitionist causes, and another chunk of cash from the private prison industry. If a major donor calls in his chips, politicians listen.
Sheldon Adelson is a real threat to pot legalization. So is Jeff Sessions. So is Giuliani. It is true that public opinion doesn't historically effect policy the way we'd expect, but I think Trump might care more about public opinion than previous presidents, in a weird way. He is obsessed with acceptance.

Top Bottom