Cannabis and incarceration

MinnBobber

Does it seem typical that famous persons like Brittney Griner (WNBA star) get special treatment?
We may trade a murderous arms dealer for her possession conviction release YET pardons/release not happening for cannabis convictions here in US….. for the non-famous. Pardons or release that don’t require letting really nasty scum out.

Cannabis incarcerations need social justice , but they are not famous so …… no big deal…

Gunky

I suppose you are right. And yet Britney Griner is such a sympathetic figure that I suspect this episode will help a lot of those languishing in American prisons.

I can hardly believe they are proposing to lock this lady up for 9 years for .7 gram of hash oil. And they call it smuggling! How the hell is she going to sell .7 grams of hash oil? Major drug commerce there, right? Fuck.

florduh

I completely agree that it’s bullshit that there are still Americans getting clapped for weed every day, and no one’s really helping them. Especially because in the truly illegal States, a vape pen is a felony. It’s a concentrate. And they weigh the whole cart, not just the oil. So it can carry sentences like they’re handing out in Russia.

I also believe it would be perfectly legal for the President to deschedule cannabis tomorrow. At least it would stop the Feds from fucking with people.

But I wouldn’t be too concerned about the prison transfer. I don’t think Griner is the big get here.

So this Paul Whelan guy is a CIA spook. Or maybe he’s just…. An avid collector of passports who likes to travel with lots of cash in various currencies. But probably it’s the first one. I think he’s the big get for the US.

Also that Viktour Bout guy is a real scumbag. But the CIA was happy to run cover for him when he was running guns for them. Only when he stopped being useful was he cut loose.

It sort of seems like Viktor was stepping on our turf a bit. Given that weapons are the only thing we make in any big numbers anymore. Lots of people who sold weapons to the Taliban are walking around free in Northern Virginia.

So I’m not upset about the trade. Russia actually has lighter sentences for weed than America in most cases. Griner got fucked because she’s a political prisoner.

If it were up to me I’d use this as an opportunity to deschedule cannabis, free every Federal cannabis prisoner, and call on every governor to do the same. But it’s not.

Top Bottom