Canna Butter vs Canna Coconut oil

vinnyzan

Which one do you prefer and why ?

Butter seems to be "easier" (requires less steps) but it seems like most of the fun things to make call for coco oil instead of butter.

Is one better then the other or is it just a matter of prefrence ?

Ive made butter using a crockpot before with good results, I definitely plan on doing some cooking soon and was wondering what everyone thought about this ?

vinnyzan,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

killick

But I like it!
I use them interchangeably with no issues. I also make them using the same basic process as well. I've also added mct oil to the mix as it stays liquid at room temp. I have all 3 on hand most of the time. Coco and mct don't require fridge storage which is also handy.

Do you use lecithin when you make these? I didn't at first, but do all the time now. It's cheap, takes no time, and appears to help.

puddleglum

Coconut oil can be substituted for butter 100% of the time. I have vegan friends who never eat butter, and they adapt non-vegan baking recipes by substituting coconut oil for butter straight up 1:1.

Butter on the other hand is a fussy kitchen ingredient. I would not say it is "easier" at all. Butter has a much lower "smoke point" than coconut oil and contains milk solids that must be clarified out ("ghee") if it is to be used in high-heat cooking. You should not assume that you can necessarily substitute butter in place of coconut oil in all situations.

I don't own any butter in my house and I don't use it for edibles. I think coconut oil is superior in flavor, texture, and versatility. :)

vinnyzan

@killick ive never tryed adding lecithin to my butter I thoutht that was only recomended for oils...

@puddleglum Maybe butter just seems easier because ive done it a couple of times ? Or maybe because the guides for oil ive read on GC were more geared towards dry sift instead of flowers. When i make butter I decarb the canna in the oven, Melt and clarify butter in a small crockpot, add a half cup of water add canna let it simmer for 13 hours or so then run through a mesh strainer and let it solidify.

Whats the recomended way to make coco oil using a crock pot ? If i remember correctly there were some additional steps to making coco oil maybe i was wrong though ....

vinnyzan,

puddleglum

Lately I just add ABV or hash directly to the brownie mix, no fuss. ;)

In the past when I made oil in the crock pot, the method was: fill crock pot 1/2 way with water, put herb+oil in a sealed mason jar, put the jar in the water bath. Cook on low for many hours. Strain.

Best results I ever got (but a little bit labor intensive) was the BadCat's CannaPharm recipe from GrassCity.

killick

But I like it!
I have a smaller crock pot so I don't use the water unless it's a small batch. I use lecithin for both coco and budder, about a tblspoon per lb. The Magical Butter machine I picked up the other day says to use lecithin for tinctures, which I've never tried. It's like $3 for 1/2 lb so not a significant cost. The health store sells lecithin as a health aid. Plus your brain is 30% lecithin, so it likely won't hurt you ;)

I made a batch of coco the other day with about 2 lbs coco and 40g decent herb. All in the slow cooker on low for about 12ish hours.

The 'in the jar' method @puddleglum references works well especially for smaller batches. I do 1/2 lb and smaller that way, with the same amount of lecithin. Nice and clean.

Coconut budder is sweeter than budder, and does with some things very well, but other things you might enjoy the butter taste more.
IE I made two graham cracker crusts for a canna dessert, and preferred the butter, but that may just be an ingrained preference. It's fine with coco, just a bit different.
I recently started putting teaspoon cocobudder in coffee. Add a bit of milk and it's a quickie cafe mocha..

Also budder needs to be stored
In the fridge, whereas coco and MCT are 'cool dark place' storage.

Last edited:

vinnyzan

Thanks for the insight guys !
I have a smaller crock pot so I don't use the water unless it's a small batch. I use lecithin for both coco and budder, about a tblspoon per lb. The Magical Butter machine I picked up the other day says to use lecithin for tinctures, which I've never tried. It's like $3 for 1/2 lb so not a significant cost. The health store sells lecithin as a health aid. Plus your brain is 30% lecithin, so it likely won't hurt you ;)

I made a batch of coco the other day with about 2 lbs coco and 40g decent herb. All in the slow cooker on low for about 12ish hours.

The 'in the jar' method @puddleglum references works well especially for smaller batches. I do 1/2 lb and smaller that way, with the same amount of lecithin. Nice and clean.

Coconut budder is sweeter than budder, and does with some things very well, but other things you might enjoy the butter taste more.
IE I made two graham cracker crusts for a canna dessert, and preferred the butter, but that may just be an ingrained preference. It's fine with coco, just a bit different.
I recently started putting teaspoon cocobudder in coffee. Add a bit of milk and it's a quickie cafe mocha..

Also budder needs to be stored
In the fridge, whereas coco and MCT are 'cool dark place' storage.
Is oil just as easily strained through a mesh strainer as butter ? If i added water to the coco oil would it seperate like it would with butter once it solidifys ? I was told to add water to the butter to make sure the crockpot is full enough and so the butter dosen't taste like shit. I made sure to buy a very small crockpot but i still added some water just because a few people recomended it.
I had good succes with 14g to 1 cup butter If i was looking to stick to that ratio how much oil would you say i should try ?

As far as storing the oil goes, once infused with the canna it cant be stored at room temp any more correct ?

puddleglum

You can strain canna-oil easily while it is still warm.
Oil and water don't mix. I do not recommend adding water to the canna oil/butter making process.
To substitute for 1 cup butter use 1 cup coconut oil.
I store mine in the freezer.
I hope that answered your main questions?

puddleglum,

killick

But I like it!
The oil is just as easily strained as butter - the only real difference is taste and a slightly different texture - both of which are quite nice actually.

I store the oils in a glass bottle in a dark pantry, on the floor for coolness.

I'm just starting on a 3 cups of Everclear to 90g of herb tincture. Once thats boiled down I'll have a form of oil concentrate and could easily add a spoon or two of that concentrate to most any recipe. I've never tried it before, so here's hoping it doesn't explode :)

This is exactly how I do it and I have gotten excellent results.

In the past when I made oil in the crock pot, the method was: fill crock pot 1/2 way with water, put herb+oil in a sealed mason jar, put the jar in the water bath. Cook on low for many hours. Strain.

1flyfisher,

vinnyzan

So I decided to give coco oil a shot, got some in the crock pot now. I got some lechithin granules, how much should i add to 1 cup coco oil ?

vinnyzan,

Chezgreendream

First the flavor, then the buZzz settles in....
Not to hijack the thread, but I have about 1.5 g of abv. I hardly vape, but I would like to infuse it in coconut oil. I have searched the forum here, but most if not all use a crock pot, I am looking for a fool proof double boiler method. Can someone give me instructions that is not difficult or direct me where I can find such information to make Cannabis infused coconut oil using a double boiler method?

Chezgreendream,

puddleglum

Not to hijack the thread, but I have about 1.5 g of abv. I hardly vape, but I would like to infuse it in coconut oil. I have searched the forum here, but most if not all use a crock pot, I am looking for a fool proof double boiler method. Can someone give me instructions that is not difficult or direct me where I can find such information to make Cannabis infused coconut oil using a double boiler method?

Follow the exact same directions, except cook the herb+oil in a double boiler instead of cooking the herb+oil in a crock pot. (Or did I miss something and this is a trick question?)

1.5g is a negligible amount not really worth the time and effort though, are you sure you didn't mean 1.5oz? If you really only have 1.5g then best to keep saving until you have enough for a batch of brownies, in my opinion/experience. ;)

Last edited:
puddleglum,

Chezgreendream

Follow the exact same directions, except cook the herb+oil in a double boiler instead of cooking the herb+oil in a crock pot. (Or did I miss something and this is a trick question?)

1.5g is a negligible amount not really worth the effort though, are you sure you didn't mean 1.5oz? ;)

Lol... 1.5oz...it would probably take me 5 years to vape that much. I am sensitive to the highness. Usually a firecracker with a graham cracker split in 2, spread organic peanut butter and cover with herb gets me toasty. Anything after that, triggers rapid heartbeats, which sucks. I have taken a couple of 10 hour rollercoaster rides of just firecrackers alone, where I couldnt tell the difference at times wether it was a dream or reality. there was probably less than .4 herb and This was done with decarbed weed, though I know abv probably has less goodies in it and probably need to use more. I just do it to boost my vape highs.

Not actually a trick question, I mean it does have similarities between the crock pot method, but I also wanted to know how much coconut oil per gram of abv ratios. Also, I plan on buying a meat/candy thermoter sometime in the future, so for now I wanted to know should the water be a slow or medium boil? And for how long?

Chezgreendream,

puddleglum

Not actually a trick question, I mean it does have similarities between the crock pot method, but I also wanted to know how much coconut oil per gram of abv ratios. Also, I plan on buying a meat/candy thermoter sometime in the future, so for now I wanted to know should the water be a slow or medium boil? And for how long?

You should use the amount of oil the recipe calls for. So if the recipe calls for 1/2 cup, then use 1/2 cup. (But 1.5g of ABV in 1/2c oil will make weak-ass edibles, even by a lightweight's standards.)

Water boils at a constant temperature (212F/100C at sea level). That is the entire science behind the double boiler concept.

I have seen a lot of variations on suggested cooking time, so I just say "a long time."

I do not go through the time, hassle, and mess of making ABV canna oil these days (I simply use the ground ABV in place of flour) so maybe I am not the best person to ask. I'll stop talking now. ;)

Chezgreendream

Not exactly what I was looking for...lol....but I see where youre coming from, you do make a valid point.

Chezgreendream,

killick

But I like it!
I use anywhere from 20 to 60 grams per lb of coconut oil, and that includes a mix of fresh decarbed and abv. If you are using fresh, and you have a lower tolerance, what a buddy does is makes his at full strength, and then just uses a little of the blended stuff with some plain stuff, and that hides the taste nicely for him. It's a bit too weak for me to use for anything tho...

Having said that, if you want to try it out on a smaller scale, there's nothing stopping you from tossing a few grams of abv (or decarbed fresh herb), with, say, 4x that amount of coconut oil into a jar with a wee bit of sunflower lecithin and toss that into a slow cooker on high for 12 hours or so. Then you have yourself up a wee batch to test out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom