Canker sores (ulcer) from vaping cannabis

Lewie

Help please!

Been vaping cannabis for about a year, about once or twice a week. Using davinci with long whip. And sometimes with cold water filtration bong.

Before this, I never smoked cigarettes. Rarely smoked joints (maybe once every 2 months)

But now.. Im consistently getting canker sores (called mouth ulcers in UK) the next day after vaping. If I don't vape for awhile, I don't get them... So pretty certain it's the vape

How can I stop them!!!?

Lewie,
Reactions: waxdab23

ktmstick

Does your toothpaste contain sodium laurel sulphate? That can cause ulcers. Rinsing mouth with salt water or using corsodyl mouth wash after vaping might help. My dad had problems with ulcers and ended up being fresh tomatoes causing it.

ktmstick,
Reactions: Lewie

Lewie

As I mentioned, I never smoke cigarettes.

And doubt it's related to toothpaste, I been using same stuff for years no problem. Same with tomatoes!

It only happens directly after vaping cannabis

I'll try salt water after vaping though, see if that helps

Lewie,

MinnBobber

Using davinci with long whip. And sometimes with cold water filtration bong.
You may want to try using vape thru bong, but with warm or hot water. Vapor is very very dry and the warmer water gives vapor more moisture than cold water.
My throat and lungs are more sensitive than my mouth (like you) and they feel much better when using warm or hot water in my bubbler.

Easy to experiment with.

As others mentioned, drink water/tea along with vaping to help as you go too

Lewie

My lungs and throat are fine.

I always drink water before and after vaping, but makes no difference, I still get mouth sores

When I vape through bong it is smoother on my throat, I prefer it... But again, I still get mouth sores

Lewie,

Lewie

My point was warm/hot water gives moister vaper that is easier on the throat, lungs, mouth---everything that it touches. You may want to try it as it's a free and easy experiment
Ok, cool will try that.. Thanks!

Lewie,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Its possible you may have developed an allergy to the silicone tubing. Many nurses I know have allergies to different kinds of gloves and surgical products. Impossible to tell really. You are going to have to chase this down and try to determine what is going on, with or without medical help as you see fit.

Lewie

Its possible you may have developed an allergy to the silicone tubing. Many nurses I know have allergies to different kinds of gloves and surgical products. Impossible to tell really. You are going to have to chase this down and try to determine what is going on, with or without medical help as you see fit.

I'll try sucking the tube :lol: a few times and see if I have a reaction :brow:

But highly unlikely that it is silicone... I have a water bottle with a silicone lid/sipper that I drink from with no problems, I use silicone cooking tubs, etc... Never had problems with silicone

Lewie,

Lewie

I wouldn't generalize here, there's an infinite number of possible formulations with so many plasticizers and other agents. Clearly, not all silicones are created equal.
Ahh, ok.. will try giving the whip a chew! ..and see what happens!

(I'll have to wait till current ulcers arr better first!)

Lewie,

waxdab23

As I mentioned, I never smoke cigarettes.

And doubt it's related to toothpaste, I been using same stuff for years no problem. Same with tomatoes!

It only happens directly after vaping cannabis

I'll try salt water after vaping though, see if that helps

I didn't say anything about you smoking cigarettes.

But that your canker sores are likely caused by dry mouth and can easily remedied by increasing your daily water intake (not only right before and after vaping), and using a dry mouth rinse such as Biotene.

waxdab23,
Reactions: j-bug

Lewie

But that your canker sores are likely caused by dry mouth and can easily remedied by increasing your daily water intake (not only right before and after vaping), and using a dry mouth rinse such as Biotene.
Ok cool, will try that Biotene (although I already drink plenty water).. cheers

Ahh.... it's got milk & egg in it! Why the fuck they put that in there! ..I don't eat/buy that shit! ..I'll have to find another version

Any idea what the active ingredient(s) is? Maybe I could just make my own?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lewie,

Skyscraper

Hey Lewie, I don't have any answers to your problem but I wanted to weigh in on this topic. Vaping does dry your mouth and airways out a good bit, but I think that my oral hygiene has overall IMPROVED since I switched to vaping. I used to get canker sores from smoking, especially after smoking bowls or joints in a group of people.

Swapping spit with a room of people is fucking gross now that I look back on it. Now if I do smoke in a group of people it might just be me, but I get really conscious of swapping spit and my mouth always feels gross from the whole act. Also, when I used to smoke a lot it was staining my teeth and probably going to lead to gum disease :disgust:

Skyscraper,
Reactions: joekar

JCat

Accessory Maker
I had a problem like this but only with really hot/direct vapes (ie. the Inhalater INH004 I had this problem)

JCat,

j-bug

It's possible that you have chronic cold sores and that whatever virus or bacteria that causes them may also live on your mouthpiece and re-exposure could be triggering the onset of cold sores.

Most likely underlying cause imo is cold sores caused by a virus. These are incredibly common and it's possible that re-exposure to the virus or otherwise creating favorable environmental conditions for the cold sores(in your mouth) is the problem. So while vaping may be making the problem more apparent, it is most likely that the underlying cause is a relatively harmless virus that just causes cold sores.

Baron23

It's possible that you have chronic cold sores and that whatever virus or bacteria that causes them may also live on your mouthpiece and re-exposure could be triggering the onset of cold sores.

Most likely underlying cause imo is cold sores caused by a virus. These are incredibly common and it's possible that re-exposure to the virus or otherwise creating favorable environmental conditions for the cold sores(in your mouth) is the problem. So while vaping may be making the problem more apparent, it is most likely that the underlying cause is a relatively harmless virus that just causes cold sores.
If he truly has canker sores, this is something different from what we generally call cold sores but is in reality herpes simplex type 1 virus.

A little quick google shows that there are various and fairly undefined possible causes of canker sores but no real single smoking gun. Vitamin and nutritional deficiencies are the top two reasons cited. Given that @Lewie seemed to show disdain toward milk and eggs, I suspect he/she is vegan and there is a very real possibility that nutritional deficiency of some sort is playing a supportive role here. I'm not a Dr and can't say, but in fact the Dr's don't really know either. Perhaps a bit of a deficiency coupled with some sort of allergy to some cannibinoid or another.

Could be anyone's guess, really.

If it were I, I would try to smoke MJ a see if I have the same reaction. This would tend to discriminate between a vaporizing issue vice a MJ allergy reaction, perhaps. I don't smoke anything anymore, but sometimes you just have to take the hit in the name of science.

Best of luck

Lewie

Ok..so... I cleaned out the vaporiser whip with alcohol solution and also gargled with salt water before and after use, and now...
No more mouth sores! Woop!

So at this stage I know that either cleaning the whip or gargling salt water has solved it!
At some point I will try it without the salt water gargling to try to figure out which thing solved it.
Will post the result here again for anyone else with same problem

Thank you so much for all your inputs!
Really appreciate it

abby

+1 to what baron23 said, canker sores probably have more to do with nutritional deficiencies than anything else. In my case, a while back, it was due to a zinc deficiency. Tell your doctor and get a blood test done, if there's a deficiency, take supplements.

abby,

Lewie

Unlikely to be nutrition.
I've never got cold sores/mouth sores/ulcers (or canker sores).. unless I vaped weed.

Literally, I vape it, and then the next day like clockwork I get a sore...

Also as I mentioned.. the salt water (or whip clean).. seems to have fixed the issue.. which makes it even less likely to be nutrition

Lewie,
Reactions: ktmstick

Meach

Clean your whip often buddy ..warm moisture in a silicone tube is a breeding ground for all sorts of bad shit you don't want to inhale. if you're using it daily a few times a day ..at the end of the week clean it out..the glass stems don't retain moisture as much..it's definitely your tubing...I know people probably don't have an issue uwith a dirty whip..but some silicone is porous which lets micro bacteria build up ..if you don't want to clean daily get high grade whip and it's good to replace it at least once a year even if you do clean it alot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom