Canabis near enough legal in UK

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
On the face of it it does seem like improved news. I wonder why this hasn't attracted more media attention? A step towards decriminalisation, rather than legalisation perhaps.

I hate to be a pedant, but the articles is also pretty misleading for all you international readers. The United Kingdom is 4 countries. Within this we have 3 different systems of law- English Law (England and Wales), Northern Irish Law, and Scottish Law. With some key and significant differences, and there's no 'Federal Law' like there is in the USA. Of course, these sentencing guidelines only apply to England, NOT the whole UK. I'm an Englishman by birth, but I can sympathise a lot with Scots nationalism when exclusively English events get represented as 'British' by the rest of the nation (not meaning you OP :p- more CLEAR UK). On the other hand, English law covers almost 90% of the population, and Scottish politicians can vote on it in London, whilst the same doesn't hold true in the other direction (English can NOT vote on Scots law in the Scots Parliament). Doesn't seem fair either. Nevertheless, I'll be voting for Scottish independence in the referendum!

That said, I' be fairly confident that decriminalisation or legalisation is even lower down Scotlands list of priorities than it is Englands.

WatTyler,
Top Bottom