Can you use a stainless steel PD stem on a MZ?

JohnEarlMadden

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I've done a lot of reading over the past few hours. It seems to me that people here really like the purple days and myrtlezap. After reading all that I've decided to go with a myrtlezap, but I was reading about some lead issues in the bronze stem of the MZ.

Is it possible to order a stainless steel stem from PD and use it with the MZ? If not is there a stainless steel stem I could buy that fits the MZ? Is it really that big of a deal?

JohnEarlMadden,

Nycdeisel

thats one of the differences between the two, and no, the stems are NOT interchangeable.

The MZ and PD are both quality units, however like you said, the only thing I worry about on the MZ is the brass that is used, however the unit does not get hot enough to release anything from the brass.

Nycdeisel,

reece

JohnEarlMadden said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I've done a lot of reading over the past few hours. It seems to me that people here really like the purple days and myrtlezap. After reading all that I've decided to go with a myrtlezap, but I was reading about some lead issues in the bronze stem of the MZ.

Is it possible to order a stainless steel stem from PD and use it with the MZ? If not is there a stainless steel stem I could buy that fits the MZ? Is it really that big of a deal?

Nycdeisel said:
thats one of the differences between the two, and no, the stems are NOT interchangeable.

The MZ and PD are both quality units, however like you said, the only thing I worry about on the MZ is the brass that is used, however the unit does not get hot enough to release anything from the brass.

All brass used in the Zap is RoHS compliant. There is no bronze.

reece,

Purple-Days

The question was, will a stainless steel PD stem fit an MZ? Reports from users say no it will not fit.

Reece, sorry but, Rick (MZ) did use bronze as the sleeve material, but that (bronze bushing) was never an issue.

Purple-Days,

Rick

Zapman
Aromazap has always used the same liner since day one. It is copper. It does look like bronze after a period of time but always has been the same copper bushing. I did use some bronze bushings for tooling in the construction process in the old days.
I do believe PD stems are slightly larger in diameter than our stems so our stems would fit the PD but the PD stems will not fit the AZ/MZ properly.
Yes, all brass used in the Zap is RoHS lead free brass, including the stem tip.

Rick,

reece

The question has been answered and any misconceptions about the materials used have been corrected.

I think today will be a good day.

Good morning y'all.

reece,

Purple-Days

Sorry Rick, if you use copper, copper it is. Knew it wasn't brass and knew it wasn't a problem. This one says Nibco Edit: and scrapped it is deffinetly Copper. Remembered you mentioning Bronze at some point.

Purple-Days,

jordon23

Actually, with a bit of polishing they will work fine. I have a woodeez stem that I use in my MZ. I used a manicure block with 4 sides and polished for about 10 mins.

jordon23,
Top Bottom