Can you "Re-use" iso pro alcohol?

PeteyS

Hey guys and gals.
Ive been busy cleaning my "toys" with iso pro, and realized that im going to be spending a small fortune on iso if i keep this up every other week.
Ive got a few dynavaps, arizer glass, crafty plus cooling unit, and my glass water pipe. All needing a cleaning.
So far ive been dumping my ISO after every cleaning, but ive heard of some people just saving the used ISO for further cleanings.

Is this the way to go? and if so, how many times do you guys reuse your ISO?

Thanks, and have a great day.
Pete.

androponic

vaped.
Hey guys and gals.
Ive been busy cleaning my "toys" with iso pro, and realized that im going to be spending a small fortune on iso if i keep this up every other week.
Ive got a few dynavaps, arizer glass, crafty plus cooling unit, and my glass water pipe. All needing a cleaning.
So far ive been dumping my ISO after every cleaning, but ive heard of some people just saving the used ISO for further cleanings.

Is this the way to go? and if so, how many times do you guys reuse your ISO?

Thanks, and have a great day.
Pete.
i reuse the same iso for months, i just use a mason jar and pour it through a coffee filter once in a while but it lasts a long time.

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
Reusing your ISO is the way to go especially just with light duty vape cleaning like you've mentioned. I don't have a set number of times I reuse my ISO, really just until it gets really dirty looking but like said above it will last for a month+

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I have a couple jars of different sizes for soaking different parts and usually use a jar until it starts getting hard to see through it. The cloudier it is the better hot rinse I need to do to prevent the glass from getting tacky as I always rinse with hot water after. I haven't tried filtering the ISO which is a thought to make it last longer but it isn't really very expensive so I usually toss it after a while. It probably isn't very good for the sewage system, but it isn't really very much going down the drain at a time...

77carrera3

bought a quart of iso when I got my TM, 6 months ago

use an inch of iso in a freezer zip-lock bag, soak the stem & parts when needed

when it get's dark I dump it, haven't used 8oz total in 6 months

77carrera3,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

howie105

I have been using the same container of ISO for over a year, and it's never failed to preform in its role as a cleaner. Granted it's some nasty looking stuff and I have to rinse before it evaporates and leaves a film, but it is still working.

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
It probably isn't very good for the sewage system, but it isn't really very much going down the drain at a time...
You could try leaving it somewhere to evaporate. I leave my heavily used iso outside with the lid off for a few days until it evaporates in the open air. This way I don't have to feel bad for dumping it down the drain. Just makes sure no kids or animals have access!

:peace:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Once I allowed it to get really dark, almost black, and then poured it on a cookie sheet and allowed it to evaporate and scraped the resulting goodness. Not goodness, tho, nastiness is what resulted. I tried to vape it and it was way way too nasty.

Funny, I wrote this earlier and just hit send...

howie105

Once I allowed it to get really dark, almost black, and then poured it on a cookie sheet and allowed it to evaporate and scraped the resulting goodness. Not goodness, tho, nastiness is what resulted. I tried to vape it and it was way way too nasty.

Funny, I wrote this earlier and just hit send...
Before or after you scrapped the sheet? Just kidding.

HughJass

Hey Pete,
I haven’t seen anyone mention this, so here my :2c:
I like to have a ‘dirty’ jar, and a ‘clean rinse’ jar of alcohol.

The dirty jar is the one you toss everything in first. Then after an ultrasonic bath* or soak, I place everything in the ‘clean rinse’ to remove all the residues that can get stuck on the surface of your stuff and your sink.

*(pouring the parts and reused alcohol mix into a bag or jar and dropping in an unltrasonic cleaner works wonders if you’re in a hurry)
Also I personally prefer to use everclear or 95% or higher ethanol, as opposed to isopropyl alcohol- my thinking is if there’s any left over residue it’s ‘food safe’, and will never taste like the bitterants.

I keep/reuse both jars until the dirty jar gets disgusting, and the clean rinse jar starts to get dirty-
Thats when the ‘clean’ jar becomes the new dirty jar.
I’ll then dump or save the disgusting jar to turn into edibles, and I pour myself a new/fresh clean rinse.

I hope that helps! (Either you or someone else reading this) I am always on the lookout for new tips and techniques to save energy, time, and money.

tehfletch

Hey Pete,
I haven’t seen anyone mention this, so here my :2c:
I like to have a ‘dirty’ jar, and a ‘clean rinse’ jar of alcohol.

The dirty jar is the one you toss everything in first. Then after an ultrasonic bath* or soak, I place everything in the ‘clean rinse’ to remove all the residues that can get stuck on the surface of your stuff and your sink.

*(pouring the parts and reused alcohol mix into a bag or jar and dropping in an unltrasonic cleaner works wonders if you’re in a hurry)
Also I personally prefer to use everclear or 95% or higher ethanol, as opposed to isopropyl alcohol- my thinking is if there’s any left over residue it’s ‘food safe’, and will never taste like the bitterants.

I keep/reuse both jars until the dirty jar gets disgusting, and the clean rinse jar starts to get dirty-
Thats when the ‘clean’ jar becomes the new dirty jar.
I’ll then dump or save the disgusting jar to turn into edibles, and I pour myself a new/fresh clean rinse.

I hope that helps! (Either you or someone else reading this) I am always on the lookout for new tips and techniques to save energy, time, and money.
Totally agree. Save the old stuff in a jar. Use it to do the dirty work, then do a clean rinse.

badbee

Wow, i feel so stupid Ive been dumping my iso after one cleaning up until now. I must have gone through a few litres of the stuff already.
Reuse the ISO is the way to go.

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
Pete.
That's the way to go. I have a jar with a 1/2 to 1 cup (100 - 200 ml) of ISO I use for soaking, that gets reused for months. I put a few tablespoons of new clean ISO into a small dish for rinsing. Things come out of the reused ISO just a little bit sticky, next it's a quick dunk and QTip wipe with clean ISO and then a hot water rinse. The new ISO, if there is any left, gets dumped into the old each time. This might sound like a hassle but it's really not, very similar to washing dishes.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Plastic test tubes with a few levels of resin infusion suspended in an ultrasonic cleaner are great for VC/Arizer stems etc. I have a Mason jar I keep the blackest iso in ready for evap then reclaim the oil for adding to edibles or filling caps next time I can be bothered.

hinglemccringleberry

Hey guys and gals.
I got a 32oz bottle of Belle Chemical 95% ethyl alcohol from Amazon for like $12. They sell (2) 32oz bottles for $20.
Use it wisely and it will last a long time for not much $$. Mix salt in with it and it cleans very effectively whilst using less.
When cleaning my Simrell Vortex in a doob tube I reuse the alcohol for 4-5 cleanings or until I have a large amount of plant particles in it. At this rate it's going to take me over a decade to finish that bottle.

Last edited:

badbee

I got a 32oz bottle of Belle Chemical 95% ethyl alcohol from Amazon for like $12.
Have you tried tasting this? Does it leave any left over flavor on the cleaned pieces? You never know what chemicals they added to "denature" it.

badbee,

hinglemccringleberry

Have you tried tasting this? Does it leave any left over flavor on the cleaned pieces? You never know what chemicals they added to "denature" it.
It doesn't smell as strong as iso does to me and its cleaning functionality is identical. Clean the vape, rinse with plenty of water, swab dry, vape like new again.
It's a mistake to skip the final water rinse with either one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom