Can someone tell me how to use those 4 piece grinders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
I got 2 or 3 of them that I have received free with orders.. They are metal and have like a magnet top, the several screw on parts, a fine screen in one part and then some little triangle looking weight at the very bottom..

How the hell do I use this thing and whats it all for and it it any good?

Like this one

aluminum-herb-grinder-4-pc-50mm-video-still.png

Kuroth1,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Take off the very top piece with the magnet, so you can see all the teeth. Insert herb. Put the top piece back on, and turn back and forth to grind. As you twist, the teeth shred your herb and it falls through the holes, onto the screen. This is where you would load your vaporizers from. The very bottom piece simply catches all the kief that falls through your screen, so you can use it later :)

Peloton,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Thanks guys.. So do you likes these? Use them?

I just been using a plain one piece grinder.. Guess I will start trying this one..

Kuroth1,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I feel like my grinder is a very essential part of my kit. Much easier and faster than breaking bud up by hand. The least amount of direct contact with your herb there is, the better (AKA, your fingers absorb precious trichomes as you break up your herb!).

Another benefit of a grinder is it gives your herb a complete and consistent grind. This is really important for most vaporizers. I see you do own a MFLB, so maybe you remember how big of an effect grind size can have on it's performance. The MFLB is probably one of the most extreme examples of a vape that requires a fine grind, but as a general rule grinding really enhances the vapor experience.

Peloton,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
I feel like my grinder is a very essential part of my kit. Much easier and faster than breaking bud up by hand. The least amount of direct contact with your herb there is, the better (AKA, your fingers absorb precious trichomes as you break up your herb!).

Another benefit of a grinder is it gives your herb a complete and consistent grind. This is really important for most vaporizers. I see you do own a MFLB, so maybe you remember how big of an effect grind size can have on it's performance. The MFLB is probably one of the most extreme examples of a vape that requires a fine grind, but as a general rule grinding really enhances the vapor experience.

Thanks.. Yes I have always used a grinder.. But just a plain one.. I was wonder what the benefit is of this 4 piece one I was asking about.

Sorry to ask a dumb question but how exactly do you do Kief harvesting with this? Is it you use it for a while as a normal grinder and then every once in a whole open up the screen area and that is where your Kief is?? and you use that Triangle thing to scrape it off the screen?

Thanks!

Kuroth1,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Sorry to ask a dumb question but how exactly do you do Kief harvesting with this? Is it you use it for a while as a normal grinder and then every once in a whole open up the screen area and that is where your Kief is?? and you use that Triangle thing to scrape it off the screen?

Thanks!
Yup. That's about it. You sound like a grinder pro already!

edit: Except you scrape the kief from the bottom, not from the screen.
:peace:

2nd edit: Here's a random video from the yootoobs.

Stu,
Reactions: NewVape

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Thanks.. Yes I have always used a grinder.. But just a plain one.. I was wonder what the benefit is of this 4 piece one I was asking about.

Ah! Gotcha. The advantage a 4pc grinder has over a 2 or 3 pc one is the ability to collect kief at the bottom with a 4pc.

Kief does start to slowly collect on the screen, but the large majority of it falls through the screen and lands in the very bottom. The triangle piece is mainly used to scoop the kief out of the very bottom, I would be careful using it on the screen as they can be fragile.

Peloton,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Thanks guys.. So do you likes these? Use them?

I just been using a plain one piece grinder.. Guess I will start trying this one..

I had a four piece Chromium Crusher which is a good inexpensive grinder and gave it away to a friend. I much prefer the two piece. It's just a matter of preference but I like getting the full measure of potency from the bud that I'm grinding, rather than allowing some of the kief to escape and then harvesting it later. I know it's popular to sprinkle a bit of collected kief on top of a load; for whatever reason it's just not my thing. So if you end up deciding that you prefer the two piece, many vaporists feel the same way.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Agreed, I used a 4 piece for a while and then went back to my 2 piece, and now I'm with a coffee grinder. I need the consistency to be FINE for my launch box.

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: Jurassic

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Agreed, I used a 4 piece for a while and then went back to my 2 piece, and now I'm with a coffee grinder. I need the consistency to be FINE for my launch box.

Yeah plus it's a major to do taking the whole thing apart to clean it in alcohol, you have to turn it upside down to get a finer grind, and for what? If you were making hash from the kief that's one thing but otherwise I can't think of a good reason to "upgrade" to a four piece again.

jeffp,

How often do you need to clean your coffee grinder? Any other grinders that you recommend for the LB?

UpUpandAway,

Cereal_MF

Green goes to brown, n that's what I stand for.
I have a 4 piece Sharpstone which i love. I just found out of u kep a nickel on the screen where the grind falls into n just swirl it around after each time u grind, u will collect a shit ton of kief relatively fast!

As for best grinders to use for vape, i vape using the MFLB. I pregrind using my sharpstone and then finegrind it in the magic flight nano grinder, but make sure to grind it for a minute. Seems to suffice.

Quetzalcoatl

How often do you need to clean your coffee grinder? Any other grinders that you recommend for the LB?
I got a $15 Hamilton Beach from Walmart. This one actually:

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/products/coffee-grinders-fresh-grind-coffee-grinder-80335.html

I've ran approximately 18 grams' worth of sticky icky, and it does a good job of grinding. I can get it from coarse to a powder pretty much. Three seconds and I get this:

2SBMO.jpg

I believe this was 10 seconds?:

V6iFr.jpg

I promise that's NOT just kief! I de-stemmed to my liking, pressed, and this came out. Vapors with the PA within 3 seconds, and it just goes forever... I need less material, I don't need to do the "finger grind after 3-4 hits" thing, I just shake and... bake :tup:

Like I said I still haven't really used a zip through it, but cleaning the kief off is as easy as brushing it off. The clear top and the grinding chamber are also both dishwasher safe, so I'm going to have to clean it like that before I have to use it again (since I ground... other stuff in there too, stuff I don't want to vape at all.) Definitely worth the $15 I paid, there's no real way I could get it that fine even with my 2p Space Case which I will hold onto for insurance purposes ;)

I have a 4 piece Sharpstone which i love. I just found out of u kep a nickel on the screen where the grind falls into n just swirl it around after each time u grind, u will collect a shit ton of kief relatively fast!

As for best grinders to use for vape, i vape using the MFLB. I pregrind using my sharpstone and then finegrind it in the magic flight nano grinder, but make sure to grind it for a minute. Seems to suffice.

Funny you mention it, I have a black 4p Sharp Stone that I will be gifting to my cousin in a few months' time when he gets all his vape gear and stuff ready. I too used the nickel trick and harvested loads of kief, but you know what my one problem with that was? The actual herb you vape has a decent bit less kief in there, so (at least for me) I ended up needing more flower or to top it with kief, which gets tedious, and even more so once it's your 2nd or 3rd trench. Sometimes I'd sit there and think "well I'm not as medicated as I should be, considering tolerance and quality of flower..." only to realize later that I was de-kiefing my goodies. I did that for a few months, but eventually thought it wasn't worth the hassle anymore and went back to my 2p Space Case, and now I'm on the coffee grinder.

Cereal_MF

Green goes to brown, n that's what I stand for.
I see what you mean about the dekiefing issue. I actually sprinkled some kief on my last trench earlier, probably because I thought it necessary, LOL. I might just keep the nickel in there, but not shake it when im grindin my MFLB stash. Or if I eventually quit my other methods (currently bowl and spliffs -- was smokin tons of spliffs thru the summer but not tryin to blow thru all my cash like an ass) imma definitely use the coffee grinder!

When I move out of my parents (Im an adult, with the luxury of living with my parents while I save money) I'll probably get a nice bong, not only to smoke out of but also to vape :science:

BTW sprinkling that kief got me blasted, and its totally still mostly greeN. This is coming from someone who has worried about their tolerance preventing them from reaching a satisfactory [#].

Cereal_MF,

Jurassic

I'm with Quetz on this (should this thread be migrated to the herb grinders thread?). I used to use a 4 piece, switched to 2 piece, and now settled on coffee grinder. I am intrigued by the hamilton beach, as I didn't know the grind chambers could be removed for dishwasher.

I am contemplating the new mendo mulcher vaporizer specific grinder with the 4mm holes though, as that may be ideal, especially if I ever use a hand grinder again. Not a fan of them sticking, but apparently grinder grease is all the new rage these days.

Jurassic,

Quetzalcoatl

I'm with Quetz on this (should this thread be migrated to the herb grinders thread?). I used to use a 4 piece, switched to 2 piece, and now settled on coffee grinder. I am intrigued by the hamilton beach, as I didn't know the grind chambers could be removed for dishwasher.
I can post some pics of it when I get home if you'd like (taken apart.)

Quetzalcoatl,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom