Can someone please help me with a pid

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
Hey I'm hoping someone can help me out, I'm getting ready to order a new pid controller and need to know which type to get
Theres a load of options for this pid so I want to make sure I order the right one

Ok so they offer the pid in like 14 configuration
I need to know do I need the unit with relay output or SSR output?
I believe I need type 4 but I want to make sure it's not type 5 I need
This is for regular 20mm coils btw

tinctorus,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
This is the defacto standard,
I like the rotary temp change switch on the Auberins RDK, I have a 200 but they have been replaced by the 300,

Last edited:

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
I dunno to be honest but this is the one I fitted to resurrect the Aliexpress PID I popped, if it's any help
Thanks but I guess I should give more info

This is for a 4 ch pid controller, or will allow me to control 4 coils as well as display the temp of each coil
This will let me have a single controller run all 4 of my ball vape heads at once from a single pid box instead of what I have now which is 3 separate pid controller's

Curious Gorilla

Sounds like something smells purple.
Hey I'm hoping someone can help me out, I'm getting ready to order a new pid controller and need to know which type to get
Theres a load of options for this pid so I want to make sure I order the right one

If you know any of the following, forgive me, grandmothers, eggs, and sucking ect.... may be useful to others.
The standard hot runner style heater coils we all use for qaroma/flowerpot/diy pinky/brain style/other tubes filled with balls restrained by screens injector heads are, from past research ---
K style thermocouples
And as the coils are run directly from 240volts(110 volts for are colonial american siblings) and have a direct pulsed high voltage signal to heat the coil it needs a
Solid State Relay(S.S.R.)
NOT a mechanical one, as the frequent switching causes a plasma arc that eventualy degrades the contacts. To my knowledge.
But check/research it before you buy. or at least,dont blame me if im wrong.
Dont use cheap aquarium/greenhouse temperature controllers, they use mechanical relays and dont have the temperature range.

All hail ElectroBoom. May his eyebrows and the fact he is still alive humble us all. All hail Big Clive. All hail EEVblog.
Before using ANY COIL i check it with a multimeter first to make sure there is NO continuity between the outer sheath and the + and - terminals on the coil 5 pin plug. oR the thermocouple terminals. Far as i can tell, they all come from China. And im grateful. best way to vape yet.Even if they didnt come from China, i would want to check. Maybe more so. Unless Saab make them...

And another thing, the difference between pinouts USA/flowerpot vs Qshop/China is very easy to resolder if you have a soldering iron and basic skills.
DO NOT ATTEMP THE FOLLOWING WHILE SYSTEM IS CONNECTECTED TO POWER OR PLUGGED IN.
ALLWAYS WAIT FOR EVERTHING TO COOL DOWN BEFORE TOUCHING.
(keep telling mrs gorilla thats not always how things work but...... refere to second to last comment below the post.)

You can work out the pinout on the coil by identifying gnd/earth pin --- outer sheath to earth pin = continuity
You can work out the pinout on the PID by identifying gnd/earth pin --- GND/Earth on power cable plug to GND/Earth pin on 5 pin socket to coil = continuity,
All this may not be relavent,hopefuly some is. Dont melt your meatsticks.

Last edited:
Curious Gorilla,
Reactions: LesPlenty

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
The standard hot runner style heater coils we al use for qaroma/flowerpot/diy pinky/brain style/other tubes filled with balls restrained by screens injector heads are, from past research are ---
K style thermocouples
and as the coils are run directly from 240volts(110 volts for are colonial american siblings) and have a direct pulsed high voltage signal to heat the coil it needs a
Solid State Relay(S.S.R.)
NOT a mechanical one, as the frequent switching causes a plasma arc that eventualy degrades the contacts. To my knowledge.
But check/research it before you buy. or at least,dont blame me if im wrong.

All hail ElectroBoom. May his eyebrows and the fact he is still alive humble us all.

Before using ANY COIL i check it with a multimeter first to make sure there is NO continuity between the outer sheath and the + and - terminals on the coil 5 pin plug. oR the thermocouple terminals. Far as i can tell, they all come from China. And im grateful. best way to vape yet.Even if they didnt come from China, i would want to check. Maybe more so. Unless Saab make them...
I had originally thought that I need the SSR unit as well as that's what I had ordered before, I guess it's possible the qaroma unit has a SSR built into the box

Curious Gorilla

Sounds like something smells purple.

Looking at your list, i would choose option - 5:4 Channel K Input Solid State Relay Output,
If it means what i think it does. But im just a hairy old ape.

from what i have been able to tell, some units come with a seperate SSR, some have it built in. I will open my Qshop pid and have a look later.
The PID units i looked at for building a cheap unit from parts(the actual electronic bit with the digital read out,some came with external SSR units, some needed external relays, some had terminals marked with SSR. Worst way if you order your custom unit and it needs Solid State Relays you can put them inline between the pid and the heater coil power line/lines (not the thermocouple connections. Also check the max temp range. Some seemed too low temperature but looked the same.
Far as i understand it the PID itself monitors temperature, can be programed to respond with a variety of different heating curves,steps, overshoot and hysterysis, maybe other stuff too, but i have no idea how to programme mine. (Qshop)Beyond target temperature up target temperature down .
Will try and figure it out at some point, unless anybody knows how?
the solid state relay is an electronic switch that turns power to the coil on and off in pulses to keep the thermocouple reading at target temps.
This is all as much question as statement. If im wrong, someone please weigh in, its good people want to build things, and i am NO electronic engineer. And im curious. I too would like a PID foursome....... Dont tell mrs gorilla.
May i ask where you are ordering yours from?

Last edited:
Curious Gorilla,
Reactions: LesPlenty

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
Looking at your list, i would choose option - 5:4 Channel K Input Solid State Relay Output,
If it means what i think it does. But im just a hairy old ape.

from what i have been able to tell, some units come with a seperate SSR, some have it built in. I will open my Qshop pid and have a look later.
The PID units i looked at for building a cheap unit from parts(the actual electronic bit with the digital read out,some came with external SSR units, some needed external relays, some had terminals marked with SSR. Worst way if you order your custom unit and it needs Solid State Relays you can put them inline between the pid and the heater coil. Also check the max temp range. Some seemed too low temperature but looked the same.
Far as i understand it the PID itself monitors temperature, can be programed to respond with a variety of different heating curves,steps, overshoot and hysterysis, maybe other stuff too, but i have no idea how to programme mine. (Qshop)Beyond target temperature up target temperature down .
Will try and figure it out at some point, unless anybody knows how?
the solid state relay is an electronic switch that turns power to the coil on and off in pulses to keep the thermocouple reading at target temps.
This is all as much question as statement. If im wrong, someone please weigh in, its good people want to build things, and i am NO electronic engineer. And im curious. I too would like a PID foursome....... Dont tell mrs gorilla.
May i ask where you are ordering yours from?
Yeah I've previously used and wired them up with an external SSR, I wish it gave more info because I'm not sure if the relay output is a 20ma trigger or an actual built on relay like the qaroma

I'm just going to order to type 5 as I know for a fact I can use that one atleast

tinctorus,

JCat

Accessory Maker
The built-in SSR would be fine, as long as it's capable of supporting the current of the coil (about 3A per coil) as well as for heating coil purposes should be a "zero crossing" SSR (meaning it only switches on/off as the AC sine wave crosses zero, to my understanding using a non-zero cross SSR causes problems with these coils.)

JCat,

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
The built-in SSR would be fine, as long as it's capable of supporting the current of the coil (about 3A per coil) as well as for heating coil purposes should be a "zero crossing" SSR (meaning it only switches on/off as the AC sine wave crosses zero, to my understanding using a non-zero cross SSR causes problems with these coils.)
I'm gonna message a different seller and try to get more info on that relay unit, it would simplify some wiring

tinctorus,
Top Bottom