Can Cannabis Make You a Better Driver?

OO

Technical Skeptical
I have done alot of experimenting the last few years and found that there has been 3 batches that really improved my driving.

My driving is not usually bad at all, but I do tend to take risks on the road when I'm sober.

When using these strains however it's like a cup of coffee, I have excellent ability when it comes to guessing people's actions on the road. Sharpened intuition isn't the only positive effect however, I am also better at responding to the mistakes of others on the road, and I also handle traffic situations better.

I could go into details, but I'm curious as to what others have to say about this.

There are times when under the effects of certain types of cannabis, where I feel impaired, and do not drive, but there are also situations when I will partake (in the beneficial type) before a particularly difficult road situation, like commuter hours.

Does anyone find this behavior objectionable? or are the members of this forum able to understand things which the general populace rejects?

OO,

Nycdeisel

Like you said, it could be acceptable(the 'beneficial type') or it could be that its unsafe for one to drive because of being intoxicated.
Driving while intoxicated whatsoever is one thing and then like you said certain strains(not to mention many other variables) may actually help in some circumstances.

But, of course, just as you brought up, driving is a subjective topic :2c:

I dont have too much experience in this field mainly because I dont drive a lot since I live in the city.

Nycdeisel,

mlo4sho

I've been in 4 car "accidents" in my life. All 4 were when I was sober.

mlo4sho,

Gunky

I used to say to myself, I'm cool, I can drive no problem. But now I wonder, what if the next guy is saying something like that? Can I depend on his judgement of impairment? Do I want to risk my life on it? I dunno, I tend to treat it like alcohol. If I vape I wait an hour or two before driving. If I ate something I stay out of the driver's seat.

Gunky,
The UK did a study where drunk drivers were safer if, in addition to being drunk, they had a few buffs of whathaveyou. It seems that it made them more cautious when otherwise, with a nice alcohol buzz on, they felt they were invincible and acted carelessly, while with whathaveyou, they were far more cautious and were qualitatively better than those who just drank. Someone else google it, I'm halfdrunk, ha!

A separate but related topic..

I've been in 2 accidents, both with assholes in pickup trucks, both their fault, both when stone sober. Why idiotic assholes gravitate toward pickups is what I want to know. They both got out of their hay-bale haulers and were like "shuck 'em up, why'd you hit me!?" even though it was blatantly, obviously their faults. It's never someone in a sports sedan who sideswipes me.

Mu knows all. Ayla knows charm.

charliedontsurf,

Beezleb

Ive had more than handful of friends and family killed by drunk and drugged up drivers. Those who drove paid a terrible price with the law, civilly and morally.

Beezleb,

warren79

I think when your stoned you are more AWARE of whats going on on the road but that doesn't mean your reaction times are quicker than when sober. Also there is the risk of spacing-out while driving stoned so you should know your body and the proper dose to get you high.

However, I've been driving for 12 years, never been in an accident and LOVE driving stoned. My favourite time to smoke a joint is while driving because nobody bothers me and I can crank the psy-trance tunes extra loud without bothering anyone else.

Since I've cut down on smoking and getting into the vape thing, its a bit harder as I usually eat a firecracker 30mins before I drive(it was trial and error to get the correct dosage - 1g shwag,as the recipe calls for, on a cracker is WAY too much when driving). My gf lives an hours drive away and when Im not stoned I usually speed to get there fast, but when Im "high", I usually just turn the music up and cruise all the way without getting bored and annoyed - I also usually drive much slower than I think I am when stoned.

Its not for everyone though....Id say stay safe and don't drive at all, unless you have an Xbox or PS3, then you can speed all you want on the racing sims.

warren79,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
I drove an hour away to pick up herb yesterday....55mph on the beginning part of highway, then it turns to 65 then to 70 in the next state....caught my high ass doin 55 almost the whole way. I was too busy jamming out to some Marley to speed....or notice everyone passing me for that matter. I drive much safer and aware when im stoned. I get too distracted on the rare occasion im sober.

JDSupreme,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I think your frequency of use of cannabis also plays into whether or not you are a safe driver. If you are a light toker and don't partake that often, then driving may prove to be a challenge for you. If you are a frequent Toker, then it is more likely that you will not have ill effects when driving, and may actually concentrate harder at the task at hand compared to someone who barely tokes.

DevoTheStrange,

crawdad

floatin
im certainly more aware of what is around me but when things are moving fast (conversation, videos, cars, lights, etc) i cant always keep up in the same way...im aware of it but usually not totally caring about all of it, the mundane i sort of tune out.

ive driven short and semi-long distances with either a buzz or blazed and yes i did feel pretty safe, however 99.999% of the time i am totally uninterested in driving and usually just sleep it off first, even if that means the side of the road. not a safety issue usually its more of a "fuck it, i dont want to drive".

crawdad,

OO

Technical Skeptical
DevoTheStrange said:
I think your frequency of use of cannabis also plays into whether or not you are a safe driver. If you are a light toker and don't partake that often, then driving may prove to be a challenge for you. If you are a frequent Toker, then it is more likely that you will not have ill effects when driving, and may actually concentrate harder at the task at hand compared to someone who barely tokes.
i disagree, i've tried these same batches when i first started smoking, and now, and the experience is the same.

OO,

warren79

I agree though. When I started smoking and used to smoke lightly and not often. I remember once in the begining I couldn't even feel the clutch pedal or the gear lever.....I was SO STONED and just wanted to get home. The next day I saw that I fucked up my gear lever from trying to force it in gear, while it already was in there.....today I love driving ang smoking.

warren79,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
warren79 said:
I agree though. When I started smoking and used to smoke lightly and not often. I remember once in the begining I couldn't even feel the clutch pedal or the gear lever.....I was SO STONED and just wanted to get home. The next day I saw that I fucked up my gear lever from trying to force it in gear, while it already was in there.....today I love driving ang smoking.

CoMe On wE sToNeRs dOnT mAkE iT hArD tO rEaD :p

JDSupreme,

vapirtoo

Been driving for 40+ years and like mlo4sho every accident I had I was
straight and cocky. In all three accidents I had over estimated my
ability. They all were minor fender benders, but definately my fault.
When I had a chance to drive a friend's Maserati, I ran to the back yard
and hit up a doob. I told her it was my safety insurance. I really rung out
that ride, no real power, great handles though, without any mishaps.
Only 10 minutes, but she said that was the hardest anyone ever cornered
with her in the car.
Being really stoned can be detrimental as you may fixate on something
and really fuck up!!
I'm cool with driving while "nice", but it surely is not for everyone!
Hey vapor is not for everyone too.

I would hate to be responsible for another because I was high and
I fucked up. :( :(

vapirtoo,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
In my younger days I had driven stoned and or drunk many many times and had only done stupid things while drunk. I was more cautious while stoned, more aware of the nuances of the situation, more appreciative of the road, so to speak, however the real danger to driving stoned is visual distortions and slight hallucinations, especially at night on winding foggy highways. Hallucinating behind the wheel is not a cool thing, even if the visuals are slight and fleeting. Obviously I'm glad and relieved I've never caused a collision. Last summer I was at a party and drove home stoned; about a 45 minute ride, and yes it was pleasurable on some level but I was glad to have made it home without getting pulled over. Driving buzzed is the same as driving drunk as far as the law is concerned. I think driving high is something to avoid always.

jeffp,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
These days I avoid driving while stoned, but in my misspent youth I observed no such prohibition. I've literally driven halfway across Canada a few times while blitzed. In all of that driving I never had an accident or even a close call. I cannot say the same for driving while completely straight.

Like others have reported, I drive more carefully and concentrate more when driving stoned. Furthermore, the experience is more pleasant; drives that would otherwise be boring and perhaps highway-hypnosis inducing seem interesting and fun. As far as reaction times are concerned, I mentioned somewhere else that I used to play a lot of pinball while stoned, and I know that my reaction times were better than when straight.

All of that notwithstanding, I still don't get behind the wheel stoned anymore unless it is absolutely unavoidable. I will do it without feeling that I am a danger on the road, however. For context, I absolutely will not drive after drinking.

pakalolo,
Top Bottom