Can anybody recommend a container for soaking glass?

gaseous_clay

I got into cleaning my glass the other day and came across a problem with soaking a piece that is tall. I would like to avoid this by simply having a container that I just use for soaking my glass, but it needs to be fairly tall, but not too wide. (maybe 15" tall x 6" wide inside)

Any recommendations?

gaseous_clay,

MinnBobber

Just an option to show you, where you can fill and soak in a sink with no container:
I use @Ratchett silicone plugs. Prior to that, I did soak.
The plugs work well with PBW (powdered brewery wash) as it only needs 5-10 minutes to clean.
If there is a stubborn area I pour out a little of the cleaning water and shake shake shake.

PBW.jpg

herbivore21

I got into cleaning my glass the other day and came across a problem with soaking a piece that is tall. I would like to avoid this by simply having a container that I just use for soaking my glass, but it needs to be fairly tall, but not too wide. (maybe 15" tall x 6" wide inside)

Any recommendations?
Man this is something I've wanted to find so many times!

I do have one idea actually :D

It will require finding a solvent manufacturer or wholesaler, one who sells 5 gallon (20litre) drums of isopropyl. These come in a large plastic container more than big enough to fit your glass inside and resistant against our favorite cleaning solvent :D

gaseous_clay

I had/have the same reservations about plastic, but thought "Doesn't the ISO come in plastic containers?"

A 5 gallon bucket would be a bit much, as I live in a NYC apartment. :)

I just ordered some of the plugs... Those are apartment friendly!

gaseous_clay,
Reactions: smokum

herbivore21

I had/have the same reservations about plastic, but thought "Doesn't the ISO come in plastic containers?"

A 5 gallon bucket would be a bit much, as I live in a NYC apartment. :)

I just ordered some of the plugs... Those are apartment friendly!
Bro, I live in the equivalent of an NYC apartment in another major world city, you surely could find somewhere to keep such a container ;)

Also I am not talking about a 5 gallon bucket (which we might use for making bubble hash for example). This is almost certainly not safe for ISO. Please only ever use plastics that are specifically identified as safe for the solvent you intend on using.

You may also consider a smaller, stainless steel bucket. I have one such bucket myself that I use for pulling my bags when making bubble - being able to wash up any residual good stuff in the bucket with ISO is a godsend!

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Is the outside of your water tool so nasty dirty that you have to soak the whole piece?

If not I'd say plugs of some type are best, if nothing else cram a piece of rag (i just cover mine with the palm of one hand and thumb of the other) into the mouthpiece and joint and shake some ISO and sea salt around in it for a few minutes then rinse with hot water. My couple pieces are sparkling clean but they've never been left dirty overnight either, always cleaned up and drying out when I lay my head down to sleep. Keepin' 'em clean makes it so easy to keep 'em clean.

RUDE BOY,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Use a sturdy plastic bag and lay glass on side in sink. Pour solution in. Use a cooler. Use a study plastic bag in a sturdy box the dimensions of your glass. Brain stormin' here:

I've used wine corks and the like for the orifices and filled with heated solution: preheat the glass in hot tap water first. Leave space and shake, shake, shake, Melinda.

macbill,

Bongologist

JoJo Woodworks
Accessory Maker
Look for large decorative glass vases (or floor vase) at places like Pier One, Pottery barn, or other hobby/craft type stores...except hobby lobby, cause fuck hobby lobby.

Top Bottom