Can a Magic Butter Machine create methanol from Everclear?

Taymak33

I'm in the US where Ever clear is legal. I used two cups of Ever clear and one ounce of marijuana and I put it on 160f for 8 hours. I don't know the difference between distillation and the magic butter machine. I just know both involve heat and I'm not sure if an Everclear bought from the liquor store could produce more methanol if reheated to a boiling point? I've been researching for days and there's so much info. If multiple people could just say yes or no without the science, that would be great! Lol

Taymak33,

Okla68

Methanol cracks off about 148f, Ethanol about 173f...thats why moonshiners throw away the 1st bit of their run, called "heads", its the Methanol that distills 1st. Once the temp raises to 173 or so, the Ethanol distills.
Everclear is 95% Ethanol, 5% water. It Can be distilled to 100%(200proof).
Not sure as to what you are asking.
Ive made lots of Ethanol Concentrate from flower.
At 160f you are also dissolving lots of waxes and lipids. Not desirable in your concentrate. I use Frozen Flower and Frozen Everclear. Only allowing it to soak In the Freezer for only 1 1/2 minutes or so...trying Not to contaminate with Chlorophyll and waxes that you get with Warmer(room) temps !
Filter that thru a coffee filter while still in the freezer and then dry/evap over a hot plate/slow cooker base.
For Edibles you must Decarb it....either in the oven about 240f for 30+ minutes or till it quits bubbling or the hotplate till bubbles quit. After Decarb you can Still Vape it, but, Must Decarb to ingest for effect.

Last edited:

Taymak33

Methanol cracks off about 148f, Ethanol about 173f...thats why moonshiners throw away the 1st bit of their run, called "heads", its the Methanol that distills 1st. Once the temp raises to 173 or so, the Ethanol distills.
At 160f you are also dissolving lots of waxes and lipids. Not desirable in your concentrate. I use Frozen Flower and Frozen Everclear. Only allowing it to soak In the Freezer for only 1 1/2 minutes or so...trying Not to contaminate with Chlorophyll and waxes that you get with Warmer(room) temps !
Filter that thru a coffee filter while still in the freezer and then dry/evap over a hot plate/slow cooker base.
For Edibles you must Decarb it....either in the oven about 240f for 30+ minutes or till it quits bubbling or the hotplate till bubbles quit. After Decarb you can Still Vape it, but, Must Decarb to ingest for effect.
I've heard this method is a bit more potent. I'm just trying to make a tincture. The Magic Butter machine is supposed to be for that. I'm thinking about switching to 130 for 8 hours and see how that turns out. Thank you for your response. I was coming to the conclusion that with so many videos of people doing it on YouTube and not being able to find anything on the issue, that there probably wasn't one.

Taymak33,

Taymak33

I've read that, but the distillers are set up differently. I can't picture a way to scoop up the first bit when its all in one pot. lol A lot of people use the frozen method from what I've seen. I will play with all of them. I want to try MCT oil as well.

Taymak33,

Okla68

I've read that, but the distillers are set up differently. I can't picture a way to scoop up the first bit when its all in one pot. lol A lot of people use the frozen method from what I've seen. I will play with all of them. I want to try MCT oil as well.
Ifbyou are making this from Everclear to begin with...there basically no reason to distill it further IMO. Ive Decarbed Flower, Budder, Shatter, Sappy unless frozen oil. Basic rule is 240°F for 45mins and or till it Quits Bubbling.
I guestmate dosages
I figure I get about 600-800 mgs of THC@gram of substance(a experience guestimate). For me to tinker with a Greenout(yuk) Ill do about 0.10 of a gram. Smeared on a corner of bread...I CANT STAND THE TASTE....Even after being exposed to it in one form or another for 50+ years.
Ive Never been able to get off on Store bought edibles compared to what I make myself.
Ive always brought mine all the way down, not leaving it in Tinctue form.
Best of Luck....Not dosing Enough Sucks, but, dosing Too Much REALLY SUCKS !!!
ENJOY...BE CAREFUL. !

Last edited:
Top Bottom