Camouflet Convector

Sass Jeeves

so i have been using my camouflet ss without a ceramic insert and honestly i like it just fine but i'm thinking of picking up either a single bore or quad bore ceramic tube ... anybody use them both and have a preference (including preferring it with no insert)? i know the quad cools more and increases draw resistance ... so what does the single bore really bring to the table?
Got both with mine, and I've found I prefer the single-bore personally.

If you've used an Omni or maybe a Revolve, the single would be close to, but not quite fully-open on either of those. The quad would be closer to about halfway closed on an Omni or fully closed on Revolve.

I'm still figuring out the Convector myself with so many other toys to play with, but with the quad core and the Inductor I had a hard time not combusting.

coolbreeze

Took my Convector camping. Wonderful for a lake and bake or lazy hike, though cooler ambient temps made for some adjustment in technique:
IMG-1542.jpg

IMG-1661.jpg

Most of my experience with the Convector has been inside with a torch, so using it primarily outside was a new experience and required some adjustment. Heating was more of a challenge using the color as a guide as it's difficult to see well in full daylight, so I reverted to my older technique of counting. That was a little inconsistent as the ambient temperature really makes a difference in its heating performance.

I think i would have gotten more reliable performance outdoors with the temp variations (and fairly cool avg temps) using the Stainless version, but I brought the Ti version with me. Hopefully both will continue to be made. For me, it will probably be Ti indoors and SS outdoors., but more testing is needed!

Upshot, it's a great vape for the lakeside, and the SS may be the proper outdoor version. ; )

Mr. Natural

Have vape, will travel
Ordered the Ti Convector Oct. 18, and it got here on 10/23. Included a SS “OG” (cool!), but no second condenser. I inserted a DV condenser without a problem. I’m happy to say that after 6+ bowls, haven’t combusted once. After initial heating of 5-7 seconds, I wait 3-4 seconds, and give it another 5-7 sec burst. This gives me decent vapor over the next 2-3 heating cycles. I only use MOUTH-TO-LUNG hits, which allow for cooler vapor. Also tried loading a half-bowl, which is my typical DV load: good even extraction, with no combustion (although I don’t push it to the edge of combustion). Recommend no tamping. This heat/mtl method gives me similar results to a Vapman. I credit the even extraction of a half-bowl load with the added distance from the convector screen.

Last edited:

Datoneguy

Back again after some more usage to share some more thoughts on the device. The long story short is I still hold it in high regard as I did during the honeymoon phase.

I want to mention that the last post I made where I mentioned some inconsistencies was likely because of the weather outside where I vape. The first week of usage was warm summer weather and then it went straight into more of a winter weather outside. I hadn't really put together that variable likely being the culprit in performance differences I experienced. Regardless, the vape still works great in the cold weather ime, the technique maybe requires a change and the sweetspot for heat isn't as wide imo compared to when vaping in warmer conditions. Just wanted to point this out as playing a large part in my last post about this vape.

I mentioned hotspotting on top as well in the past, and I haven't had this happen in quite a while. I stir once or twice per bowl atm which maybe helps but I also have adjusted my technique and I find it to be quicker heating and easier to hit the kind of heat I want. What I do is heat the top of the cap from the sides, and I spin it like a vapcap. I do this for 5 to 10 seconds or less. Then I start to aim the torch at an angle from the top, just barely hitting the edges as I spin (someone did this a few pages prior in a video), once I see the orange glow, I stop spinning and just coat the top in orange briefly. I find I get consistent heating this way. It's definitely not required though and others have had more luck with other methods. The main thing I'd say with this vape is that you will likely find your technique with time and that's where you get control and consistency from. I can't even say this is the only change I've made that helped me, because this vape is so manual in nature, I've likely made other small adjustments to my technique to get consistent results, but that process of making those adjustments was so subtle that I can't put them into words in an applicable manner for other users to utilize. The only change I can tangibly share is my heating method above and one other thing.

The other technique I have found to be helpful is to find a consistent heating technique that works well for you and then change your timing or torch length to adjust heat. Personally, I don't like timing anything as I'm vaping, I don't care to count to 5 while heating the sides and count to 10 while heating the top, no thank you. I instead figure out heating length and technique that feels natural and do it over and over again to get a consistent(ish) timing based on feeling rather than exact timing. Once you do this, just adjust the torch length to get the kind of heat you want. If I'm hitting the vape and the bowl looks to light for my taste, I don't heat for an extra 10 seconds, I adjust the flame length up just a little, and take another hit. I do that over and over till I find that I'm getting the heat profile that I want. So that's the other peice of tangible advice I would give when it comes to heat control, adjust your flame length instead of adjusting your timing. Of course, still find a reasonable amount of heating that works before you start messing with flame size. But after I got down the basics, i usually only adjust my flame size to taste, I get pretty consistent results this way and can fine tune with less risk. I haven't combusted much, but the first few weeks I did combust a couple times and both of them were because I told myself "maybe I'll just heat it for an extra 5 or 10 seconds", and then that extra little bit ended up being too much. I have yet to combust in the same way from adjusting the flame length slightly instead. So that's really why I advocate for adjusting flame size rather than timing.

Now that technique stuff is out of the way. I want to give a review coming from a place of more experience than my prior reviews.

The vape is still one of my favorites, It's absolutely a staple for my collection. I have personally started using this vape for microdosing and doing productive tasks. It can totally mess you up, as I stated in my earlier review lol, but I've found this vape super useful for daytime microdosing. It's easy to consistently get a light to medium roast and the vape signature of this thing leaves me with little to no burnout compared to my other vapes. I've edited video for probably a solid 80+ hours and I've found creatively to be in a pretty great zone and with enough clarity to still be able to do actual work too. This sort of usage with the vape has been borderline life-changing, I've always wanted this from a vape but most of them simply burn me out a bit too much but the convector has been the best one I have tried for microdosing yet. With my other 2 strong contendors being an enano and Anvil (need to test this one more though). Long story short, Convector is a great microdoser.

Now for the negatives, The screen gets more dirty and clogged than I'd like, it sometimes stays clean for long but other times it gets caked up quick, I brush which helps. I also heat the cap while empty and take an empty hit if the screen gets clogged and this often does the trick to clean it, not a huge deal but still worth mentioning because the screen is usually the part that leads to me cleaning the vape and not putting it off as long. Lastly, the oring situation is really bad, I feel I was too forgiving towards it in my prior review. I said this vape was as easy as a vapcap, that is absolutely not true. This vape is easy to reassemble conceptually rather than in practice, easy enough but it is not as easy or as quick as a vapcap, and it's only because of the orings. I can set my vapcap screen in a minute or two at this point, annoying but doable. I have had a convector take 20-30 minutes to assemble because of orings. This is not only the orings on the condensor, but also the small orings on the tip of the vape. I spent a solid 20 mins or so trying to get the condensor to connect with the tip recently before I realized the bottom oring on the tip was stretched or something was off, at some point, the oring broke, which shocked me after only my third cleaning or so. Thankfully, I have 2 og convectors that they included, so I took an oring from one of those lol. Still, after that happened, it makes me a tad concerned about losing more orings after cleaning.

Having said that, I still think the vape is so good that the problems I have with it are almost irrelevant. The vape is just too good. I've gotten to a point where I'm considering ordering an extra couple sets of smaller orings and maybe one pack of bigger orings just in case of any issues... along with maybe a third ti convector because of how much I like this vape lol. I could just get the orings, but I mean, might as well get another convector if I'm paying those shipping costs already lol. Only thing preventing me from doing this is that looming Tempest release tbh.

Another long essay by me haha, but I feel this vape deserves that. Pretty shocked this thread isn't more happening yet. But I'm pretty confident that it will gain more traction as time goes on. I thought my prior posts about this vape were merely a honeymoon phase, but it turns out that this vape is actually just that damn good (except for the orings lol).

Last edited:

Mr. Natural

Have vape, will travel
Back again after some more usage to share some more thoughts on the device. The long story short is I still hold it in high regard as I did during the honeymoon phase.

I want to mention that the last post I made where I mentioned some inconsistencies was likely because of the weather outside where I vape. The first week of usage was warm summer weather and then it went straight into more of a winter weather outside. I hadn't really put together that variable likely being the culprit in performance differences I experienced. Regardless, the vape still works great in the cold weather ime, the technique maybe requires a change and the sweetspot for heat isn't as wide imo compared to when vaping in warmer conditions. Just wanted to point this out as playing a large part in my last post about this vape.

I mentioned hotspotting on top as well in the past, and I haven't had this happen in quite a while. I stir once or twice per bowl atm which maybe helps but I also have adjusted my technique and I find it to be quicker heating and easier to hit the kind of heat I want. What I do is heat the top of the cap from the sides, and I spin it like a vapcap. I do this for 5 to 10 seconds or less. Then I start to aim the torch at an angle from the top, just barely hitting the edges as I spin (someone did this a few pages prior in a video), once I see the orange glow, I stop spinning and just coat the top in orange briefly. I find I get consistent heating this way. It's definitely not required though and others have had more luck with other methods. The main thing I'd say with this vape is that you will likely find your technique with time and that's where you get control and consistency from. I can't even say this is the only change I've made that helped me, because this vape is so manual in nature, I've likely made other small adjustments to my technique to get consistent results, but that process of making those adjustments was so subtle that I can't put them into words in an applicable manner for other users to utilize. The only change I can tangibly share is my heating method above and one other thing.

The other technique I have found to be helpful is to find a consistent heating technique that works well for you and then change your timing or torch length to adjust heat. Personally, I don't like timing anything as I'm vaping, I don't care to count to 5 while heating the sides and count to 10 while heating the top, no thank you. I instead figure out heating length and technique that feels natural and do it over and over again to get a consistent(ish) timing based on feeling rather than exact timing. Once you do this, just adjust the torch length to get the kind of heat you want. If I'm hitting the vape and the bowl looks to light for my taste, I don't heat for an extra 10 seconds, I adjust the flame length up just a little, and take another hit. I do that over and over till I find that I'm getting the heat profile that I want. So that's the other peice of tangible advice I would give when it comes to heat control, adjust your flame length instead of adjusting your timing. Of course, still find a reasonable amount of heating that works before you start messing with flame size. But after I got down the basics, i usually only adjust my flame size to taste, I get pretty consistent results this way and can fine tune with less risk. I haven't combusted much, but the first few weeks I did combust a couple times and both of them were because I told myself "maybe I'll just heat it for an extra 5 or 10 seconds", and then that extra little bit ended up being too much. I have yet to combust in the same way from adjusting the flame length slightly instead. So that's really why I advocate for adjusting flame size rather than timing.

Now that technique stuff is out of the way. I want to give a review coming from a place of more experience than my prior reviews.

The vape is still one of my favorites, It's absolutely a staple for my collection. I have personally started using this vape for microdosing and doing productive tasks. It can totally mess you up, as I stated in my earlier review lol, but I've found this vape super useful for daytime microdosing. It's easy to consistently get a light to medium roast and the vape signature of this thing leaves me with little to no burnout compared to my other vapes. I've edited video for probably a solid 80+ hours and I've found creatively to be in a pretty great zone and with enough clarity to still be able to do actual work too. This sort of usage with the vape has been borderline life-changing, I've always wanted this from a vape but most of them simply burn me out a bit too much but the convector has been the best one I have tried for microdosing yet. With my other 2 strong contendors being an enano and Anvil (need to test this one more though). Long story short, Convector is a great microdoser.

Now for the negatives, The screen gets more dirty and clogged than I'd like, it sometimes stays clean for long but other times it gets caked up quick, I brush which helps. I also heat the cap while empty and take an empty hit if the screen gets clogged and this often does the trick to clean it, not a huge deal but still worth mentioning because the screen is usually the part that leads to me cleaning the vape and not putting it off as long. Lastly, the oring situation is really bad, I feel I was too forgiving towards it in my prior review. I said this vape was as easy as a vapcap, that is absolutely not true. This vape is easy to reassemble conceptually rather than in practice, easy enough but it is not as easy or as quick as a vapcap, and it's only because of the orings. I can set my vapcap screen in a minute or two at this point, annoying but doable. I have had a convector take 20-30 minutes to assemble because of orings. This is not only the orings on the condensor, but also the small orings on the tip of the vape. I spent a solid 20 mins or so trying to get the condensor to connect with the tip recently before I realized the bottom oring on the tip was stretched or something was off, at some point, the oring broke, which shocked me after only my third cleaning or so. Thankfully, I have 2 og convectors that they included, so I took an oring from one of those lol. Still, after that happened, it makes me a tad concerned about losing more orings after cleaning.

Having said that, I still think the vape is so good that the problems I have with it are almost irrelevant. The vape is just too good. I've gotten to a point where I'm considering ordering an extra couple sets of smaller orings and maybe one pack of bigger orings just in case of any issues... along with maybe a third ti convector because of how much I like this vape lol. I could just get the orings, but I mean, might as well get another convector if I'm paying those shipping costs already lol. Only thing preventing me from doing this is that looming Tempest release tbh.

Another long essay by me haha, but I feel this vape deserves that. Pretty shocked this thread isn't more happening yet. But I'm pretty confident that it will gain more traction as time goes on. I thought my prior posts about this vape were merely a honeymoon phase, but it turns out that this vape is actually just that damn good (except for the orings lol).
Your bad experience with the o-rings would disappear if you substitute a Dynavap condenser for the Convector’s. It worked on the OG that came with my Ti convector.

Datoneguy

Your bad experience with the o-rings would disappear if you substitute a Dynavap condenser for the Convector’s. It worked on the OG that came with my Ti convector.
Might have to try that. I do have a 2020 m stem lying around somewhere.

Also, a tip for the vape, If your Convector has a lingering combustion taste after cleaning, try hitting the device a few times while it's empty. I cleaned the vape twice and still had a lingering taste. I just decided to hit it empty 5 times after a cleaning and I got some visible vapor and bad taste, then it went away and now I taste nothing and get no vapor while it's empty. I thought the slight combustion taste might be stuck on the device since cleaning didn't get rid of it entirely, but I'm thinking that maybe the cap was holding onto some of whatever I combusted. Idk details, but I can say hitting it while empty made a big difference. (to be fair, maybe a longer iso soak on the cap would have gotten rid of it too, i usually only submerge it for a minute or two)

Mr. Natural

Have vape, will travel
A new heating tip: a loosely packed half-bowl produced at least 2 good hits per heating cycle over 3 heating cycles, if I quickly (no more than 1-2 seconds) ran the coolest part of my jet lighter flame over the entire length of the bowl before heating the tip of the cap. “Pre-heating” the bowl seems to slow heat loss in the tip, due to the lower bowl not acting as a “heat sink”. Even extraction was easier as well. I encourage peer review…

Datoneguy

Question, is there a way to set a screen back to the same depth it comes set at? I accidentally knocked the screen out while cleaning and pushed it back into place using the backside of a Mighty brush. I actually had no idea the screen could come out, but it went back in pretty easily overall. Only thing is, the screen is slightly lower than it was originally, any advice on getting the screen depth back into more of a stock configuration?

Atm I have the screen likely set as deep as it can go. It still works well, but it's just thrown off how I was dosing throughout the day a little. I accidentally vaped a bit more today than usual before realizing the bowl had become larger after I set the screen the night before lol. I have started to just pack it less to adjust for the larger capacity and I'd say it works just fine, but it'd be cool if I could get it back into it's original placement. Part of if is because it's easier for me to dose less when I don't have as much of an option to dose more, more psychological on my end than anything else lol. It does make it easier to eyeball microdose amounts though when the capacity of the bowl is smaller.

Sidenote, has anyone replaced the screen with a different screen? If so, how has it been serving you compared to the stock screen?

This larger capacity is more of a negative for me that's using this vape for during the day functional highs, but I could definitely see it being a plus for those that want a stronger vape. I haven't felt any major drop in performance from doing this and I actually think any subtle hotspotting at the top of a bowl was less pronounced overall (again though, the hotspot at the top of a bowl that I get is very subtle at this point anyways). I'd be curious if anyone has used the vape with the screen set lower and if so how has that performed for you? I would test this out further if I was looking for those stronger highs, but that's not my current use case scenario.

Last edited:
Datoneguy,
Reactions: friedrich

friedrich

Little-Known Member
Sidenote, has anyone replaced the screen with a different screen? If so, how has it been serving you compared to the stock screen?
I replaced mine pretty early on, at the suggestion of someone else in this thread, with a fitting wire mesh screen found among my vape supplies. I didn't compare much, but I think it allows slightly better airflow and cleans up a little better when giving it a quick brush between bowls.

I did not notice the original screen placement before removing it; I push the screen all the way back to the stop, and had really never contemplated any other possibility, but may have to try moving it up a bit now.

friedrich,

Dustin McKief

Question, is there a way to set a screen back to the same depth it comes set at? I accidentally knocked the screen out while cleaning and pushed it back into place using the backside of a Mighty brush. I actually had no idea the screen could come out, but it went back in pretty easily overall. Only thing is, the screen is slightly lower than it was originally, any advice on getting the screen depth back into more of a stock configuration?
It seems to be designed to be set anywhere along the inside of the oven, but yours may require adjustment. The key for me was to gently bend out the screen's 3 spring 'legs' until I got even tension from all 3 when initially pressed into the oven. Then I use the mouthpiece end of the stem to set it to a small oven. From there, you can use a pencil, dowel, brush handle etc to insert it further if you want a larger oven (larger the better so the screen won't go off kilter but you could also support from the other end).

The screen is pretty stout, which is good as it keeps its shape once you get it dialed in. I used a pair of tweezers with a wide, flat tip to grasp the entire spring 'leg' to make each bend at the base where it connects to the screen.

I'm new to mine, but really like it so far. My only criticism is that the screen legs being in the oven make it difficult to thoroughly brush out between loads.

Dustin McKief,
Reactions: friedrich

Cannabiker

Y'all are mking me feel terribly incompetent. I mean, to use Troy's unicycle metaphor, I consider myself a unicycle master. I know what I'm trying to get out of a vaporizer, and I understand how to get it, whether it's with fire or electrons, using conduction or convection. I feel like I always manage to optimize whatever vape I'm using.

Yet, in this case, everyone but me seems to get this device. Is it just the FC tendency (which I love) to favor fanboys over critics? When I scroll through this thread, I see almost nothing but praise, some of it superlative, for perfect hits.

Meanwhile, I get either weak, wispy hits, or I combust. Okay, once in a while I've caught a brief glimpse of what you're all seeing; I've pulled a couple of thick, tasty hits from it. But this wasn't just riding a unicycle--it was a unicycle on a tightrope. You have to blast the tip up to full combustion temps, let it cool to the perfect temp, then hit it with exact timing before that heat dissipates. If you hit it two seconds early, it's fire (in a bad way), and two seconds late is lukewarm.

I thought the Inductor would be the key, but it just heats it more effectively. It can't do anything for the device's poor heat retention. I hate to suggest jumping on other designers' bandwagon, but it really needs some balls.

Ultimately, I think it's just me and my expectations. I read one reviewer here who reported getting ten(!) pulls, with stirring, from this tiny device as though that's a good thing. And for some it may be, but I'm more of a single-pull enthusiast. When all the factors align just perfectly, the Convector can do that, I suppose, but even for someone who enjoys riding the unicycle, that's just too delicate a balance.

coolbreeze

Y'all are mking me feel terribly incompetent. I mean, to use Troy's unicycle metaphor, I consider myself a unicycle master. I know what I'm trying to get out of a vaporizer, and I understand how to get it, whether it's with fire or electrons, using conduction or convection. I feel like I always manage to optimize whatever vape I'm using.

Yet, in this case, everyone but me seems to get this device. Is it just the FC tendency (which I love) to favor fanboys over critics? When I scroll through this thread, I see almost nothing but praise, some of it superlative, for perfect hits.

Meanwhile, I get either weak, wispy hits, or I combust. Okay, once in a while I've caught a brief glimpse of what you're all seeing; I've pulled a couple of thick, tasty hits from it. But this wasn't just riding a unicycle--it was a unicycle on a tightrope. You have to blast the tip up to full combustion temps, let it cool to the perfect temp, then hit it with exact timing before that heat dissipates. If you hit it two seconds early, it's fire (in a bad way), and two seconds late is lukewarm.

I thought the Inductor would be the key, but it just heats it more effectively. It can't do anything for the device's poor heat retention. I hate to suggest jumping on other designers' bandwagon, but it really needs some balls.

Ultimately, I think it's just me and my expectations. I read one reviewer here who reported getting ten(!) pulls, with stirring, from this tiny device as though that's a good thing. And for some it may be, but I'm more of a single-pull enthusiast. When all the factors align just perfectly, the Convector can do that, I suppose, but even for someone who enjoys riding the unicycle, that's just too delicate a balance.
Have you tried the glancing technique from early in the thread? You'd try to just catch the edge of the side of the cap as you glance the flame across the top of the cap (consider that you are trying to heat only the top and not introduce conduction by allowing the side of the cap to heat) while you spin slowly. I have used a counting technique described earlier in the thread, but others have waited for the orange glow. I find that if I get to the glow, i need to let it regulate for a second or so. If it all sounds exacting or precise, it's not, really, though the window for excellent results is narrower than more forgiving manual vapes. And I agree that the Inductor is really a different experience. It feels inherently more aggressive to me, but it's really just a matter of letting the cap to regulate back down to temp. It's trial and error until you get a feel or a sense of it.

The quick heating and cooling are essential for its function as a convector. It can also conduct, requiring less precision, but there are better tools for that. I feel like it's one of those things where you just need to play around until it clicks into place for you, but new circumstances (daylight, cooler ambient temps, etc) can always add wrinkles and make it more challenging than a desktop scenario.

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
@Cannabiker
My best experiences with this device were when I had my ispire wand, only way I truly got mostly consistent big hits.

I got it to use as a one hitter too primarily for hiking but it didn’t work out at all for me on the trails so I sold it

Sour Dream,

Dustin McKief

I agree with @Sour Dream that an IH is best (even the creator says as much on the product's web page). I've been having great results with the YLL v2 and the shorter adjustable base so that I'm concentrating the heat at the tip. Having those extra options (depth, wattage and timer) really helps getting things dialed in so that you can get repeatable results.

Cannabiker

Yeah, I've tried various torch techniques and strengths. I started out as @coolbreeze describes, stopping just short of red-hot--seeing it glow is alarming. Then I watched Bing's video, and I started going to red then waiting for a brief cool-down. That worked okay, so I've been using a similar technique with IHs. I have an Inductor, so I've been using it according to Camouflet's technique.

I guess the bottom line is that I can make it work, but even though I usually enjoy ritual and mastering technique, the operational parameters of this device are just too narrow for me. The XL looks like it could be a major improvement for this design, as I believe it would work better if the load was all surface, no depth, so that very limited blast of heat can be more effective. But I'm not feeling like investing in one to find out--especially when my Tempest is out for delivery.

Cannabiker,

coolbreeze

The XL looks like it could be a major improvement for this design, as I believe it would work better if the load was all surface, no depth, so that very limited blast of heat can be more effective.
I think they called it more forgiving so you're probably right. I'm curious to see how the wireless injector works and how well it heats with methods other than the coil.

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
I’ll get the bigger version eventually in the next few months. I agree it looks like the XL fixes most of the complaints I had but now I have a new one, it’s too big 😭.

i was hoping a v2 would be only 20-30% bigger but I suppose that’s not really a v2 so I can’t complain. Still think this company is doing great things hope they keep it up

Datoneguy

So I'm the person who mentioned getting 10 pulls off of one chamber and I did praise it. I really like being able to dial in a more extended and slow experience because sometimes I just want to use a vape, and if I take tons of pulls off of very little, my tolerance stays in a good place for when I want to use small amounts but more quickly. If I chain vape a faster extraction style where it clears a bowl in one hit, then it will hurt my tolerance more than slowly chipping away at a bowl.

However, I do want to put this into context, because I also am the same person who said this vape got me the highest I've been in years. It beat out vapes like the enano and Anvil for the most potent high I've had. So this vape is capable of a faster extraction style too. When I achieved this type of high, I wasn't extending the session out purposefully. I really mentioned the 10 hits off a bowl in a later post because to me that was an impressive showing for the Convector's ability to dial things back. It does this better than almost any vape I own. The Anvil for example is a heavy hitter, but I don't find it has that much versatility if wanting to slowly sip on a bowl or dial things back. The Convector is more versatile in it's style of usage is why I really praised this feature that maybe doesn't deserve praise depending on what a vaporist is looking for. I just noted it here positively because I find most butane vapes versatile, but the Convector has a high marks on versatility even when compared to other butane vapes.

This versatility comes at a cost because things are less automatic though. This is why I've relegated my Anvil to the heavy hitting that I can get done quickly without much thought and then use the Convector when looking for more specific effects rather than a quick high. But I'm just one person sharing how I use the device, it's capable doing more than what I use it for.

In terms of the unicycle aspect of the device. I would agree it has some element of that. I find that I can go back to nearly any vape and use it after a long break without having to relearn much. The Convector (and maybe lotus) is the only vape I have that I feel like I have to spend a day or two with it to relearn how to use it effectively. There is some level of intuition involved imo, I know some are maybe naturals and can see the right amount of orange glow or whatever indicator, but for me it's a combo of indicators and intuition. I really find it takes a couple bowls before I find my groove again with this vape. So I agree it is a bit of a unicyle. I do however find it easier to use than the Vapman for example. I learned the Convector much faster than the Vapman, and I personally found this vape more forgiving overall. So at least for me, it's not the hardest unicycle to learn, but it's definitely a unicyle nonetheless. I think this factor is also super subjective, to where someone might say the vapman is easier. Depends on the user, but I personally found the Vapman harder to learn.

Sidenote, I am curious to see how xl convector performs. I think i'll be skipping it because it looks to have a similiar bowl size to the Lotus, which I find a tad large for my taste. I also think there's something to the effects you get from a more vertical chamber where the temp maybe is cooler on one end of the chamber vs the other. Like, maybe getting 350f-370f at once provides different effects than a stable 370f. I do think a larger design will likely help with a more easily achievable even cook throughout a bowl though. So definitely a benefit there I'm thinking. I'm kind of feeling more in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset atm though with this device.

I also feel like you're maybe right on fc fanboy thing, but I think with time we'll see more objective critiques of this device. My later post for example on this thread was less forgiving of the oring situation. Part of the fanboy thing is a matter of people sharing first impressions rather than longterm reviews. The device is new, therefore first impressions are the main dish of the day imo. I mean, I was sharing thoughts before even running an 1/8th through it, I did state that to be the case, but it's important to note that qualifies as more of a first impression than an actual thorough review coming from actual testing. But I think it's fair to say the forums on fc in general are more positive to the specific vapes they are discussing, definitely a trait of FC.

Last edited:

Camouflet

Manufacturer
@Camouflet I see that the XL has a 0.2g capacity. What are the capacities of the OG and Convector?
Convector Chamber/Bowl size measurements:
Chamber Inner Diameter: 9.2mm
Chamber Depth: 11mm
Chamber Volume: 0.731 cubic cm

Chamber holds apprx. 0.1, *Loosely fill the chamber with no tamping to allow convection to work best.

Convector XL Chamber/Bowl size measurements:
Chamber Inner Diameter: 14mm
Chamber Depth: 9mm
Chamber Volume: 1.385 cubic cm

Chamber holds apprx. 0.2g, *Loosely fill the chamber with no tamping to allow convection to work best.

seriousTone

Yeah dude, I threw a copper heat retention ring from simrell on the convector and never looked back.

But yeah, I stand by the fact and have yet to see anyone's video/pics of an evenly vaped bowl without charring at the tip and green at the bottom without introducing a conduction heat cycle straight to the side of the cap.

seriousTone,
Top Bottom