Butane torch thread

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
Many of us who use butane vapes have taken long and circuitous journeys to find our preferred lighters.

Dynavaps need different to Bricks need different to Vapmans and Anvils, yet there's still no thread offering help to people looking for the lighter/torch that best fits their use case, and at a reasonable price. Plus, at FC we have the luxury of posting vendor links, which helps enormously.

To kick off, here are some of the more reliable options I've acquired along the way
In terms of value and versatility, I've yet to find better than the Jobon Bullet - although the lack of a fuel level window is a significant drawback.

Powerful enough to use on Quartz Cap, gentlle enough to use on a Vapman. 9 quid.

What's your preferred lighter, what do you use it with, and why do you like it so much?

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Many of us who use butane vapes have taken long and circuitous journeys to find our preferred lighters.

Dynavaps need different to Bricks need different to Vapmans and Anvils, yet there's still no thread offering help to people looking for the lighter/torch that best fits their use case, and at a reasonable price. Plus, at FC we have the luxury of posting vendor links, which helps enormously.

To kick off, here are some of the more reliable options I've acquired along the way
In terms of value and versatility, I've yet to find better than the Jobon Bullet - although the lack of a fuel level window is a significant drawback.

Powerful enough to use on Quartz Cap, gentlle enough to use on a Vapman. 9 quid.

What's your preferred lighter, what do you use it with, and why do you like it so much?
I have a Zoocura Ice Blue version of what looks to be the same bullet torch, and it works pretty reliably. Got it on Amazon a few years ago.

Perfect_Speed4069

I have a Zoocura Ice Blue version of what looks to be the same bullet torch, and it works pretty reliably. Got it on Amazon a few years ago.
Exactly the same, even down to that annoying flip up flame-adjuster on the bottom.. In fact, turns out there's a a lot I dislike about this lighter (annoying and losable lid, lack of a fuel window, fiddly adjustment, weird pong when you bleed it properly) but it remains my most commonly reached-for lighter. As cheap as anything else that's this reliable, and one of mine even survived a 40 degree, hour and half wash the other week.

Perfect_Speed4069,
Reactions: Photonic

Farid

For Dyanavaps I like 2 flame torch lighters the best. I've gotten a lot of use out of a cigar store Zico lighter, that's lasted me since 2017. What I like about it is that it's got a viewing window into the fuel tank, and it can hold more fuel than some of the other 2 flame torches.

I didn't buy it here, but this is the model:

Ultimately good quality fuel matters more than the quality of the lighter when it comes to reliability.

Tji89

Ordered the bullet 🙏 have a ronx like yours which has been nice, but a little big for bringing around. This sees powerful and decent in size to bring along

Radwin Bodnic

The three torches in my rotation are :
- PB-207 with the Vaponic and Cheaponic
- Vapman torch with the Vapman (obviously)
- Big Buddy with the EMK

So far the PB-207 is the most consistent lighter I have ever had. I wish there was an angled version.

And I agree with @Farid : good butane always equals good performance of the lighter.

Also sometimes I like heating the Vaponic with a little alcohol burner from a scale model of a Sterling motor :
Hc714e377bac8497194c35c5cb80360e1C.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

It's really small : about one inch wide. Holds about 3 sessions with the Vaponic.

Last edited:

Perfect_Speed4069

I just bought my first serious torch (https://www.ronxs.com/product-page/butane-lighter-551-2/) and suddenly the Elev8r makes a lot more sense. As does the Tasty Tube (and I rated both of these very highly before). The jump from the Blazer Hot Shot (which was more expensive) to this feels like doubling the RAM in my PC, or upgrading from HDD to SSD.

Last edited:

TedJones

I just bought my first serious torch (https://www.ronxs.com/product-page/butane-lighter-551-2/) and suddenly the Elev8r makes a lot more sense. As does the Tasty Tube (and I rated both of these very highly before). The jump from the Blazer Hot Shot (which was more expensive) to this feels like doubling the RAM in my PC, or upgrading from HDD to SSD.
Nice grab! Forgot about this one. My big buddy is starting to age and act up so will most likely get this. Ronxs is great. Like their dual & triples.

Marcus

I use a plumbers torch with MAPP gas bottle, like one of these...

rothenberger-superfire-2-turbo-torch-mapp-gas-cylinder-1269-p.jpg

There's no blue pointy hot bit in the flame, just a nice even flame that envelops the glass bit for heating.
All my butane vapes look brand new still, no cracks or issues.

I suppose it's a bit big for a dynavap, but for the RWW and Glass Charlie vapes I own, it's perfect. 15 seconds while spinning the piece in the flame. Easy 1 handed lighting and operating too.

Perfect_Speed4069

RWW and Glass Charlie vapes I own, it's perfect. 15 seconds while spinning the piece in the flame.
I'd simply not appreciated how great these behemoths perform with things like the Tasty Tube. My only challenge with enveloping the glass in total flame is that I can't see the shine I rely on guage the temperature of the glass. Everything looks looked the start of Terminator 2

Sadly my new Ronxs doesn't have a trigger, and I've yet to work out if I can use it single handed. But the slight delay caused by turning it off and putting it down has meant I've not yet combusted.

Last edited:

Marcus

My only challenge with enveloping the glass in total flame is that I can't see the shine I rely on guage the temperature of the glass.

I get that, but the flame does change colour when the piece is up to temp. I also just keep a beady eye on the clock for 15 seconds.
If I get vapour on the 1st pull, I know it's going to combust, so I pull the heater cap/sleeve and take a big inhale, then pop it back on and it's perfect.

This torch is also very good for plumbing jobs around the house too. :lol:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
looks like I just grabbed the last one, apologies...? (:hmm::doh:):
Anyone know if it is in fact any better than the OG...? If so, how and why? Is it at least worth $28...? Got a lil "trigger happy"...🙄🙏🏻✌️

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
looks like I just grabbed the last one, apologies...? (:hmm::doh:):
Anyone know if it is in fact any better than the OG...? If so, how and why? Is it at least worth $28...? Got a lil "trigger happy"...🙄🙏🏻✌️
Similar to the limited editions, the mechanics are identical in every way to the OG.
This is a Higher Standards branding, that is all.

As far as limited editions go, it is all just aesthetics. I did jump on a color way that appealed to me when my black one broke down... just could not resist teal with the white glow-in-the-dark label.

bestvaping

Brick user, here are my lighters:

I mainly use the Prince Pocket PB-207, it's the only lighter that still works so well after many years, leak-free filling ..

At first, I used the Honest lighters supplied with the sticky bricks, but after intensive use, they don't work as well (the ignition button jammed for me and the flame doesn't set as well as it used to and that's on all the lighters I've had with my bricks (even though they work pretty well at first)). I once had an Eagle lighter instead of the Honest with a brick, and it simply never worked.

Then I tried Blazer Firefox, it works well but there is no window and I find it problematic. In addition, it doesn't start properly when set to the lowest possible flame setting, so with my bricks I often have to start with a larger flame and then lower it. I therefore reserve it for use for DV, TA etc.

The Lubinski SK-79 works well but the filling is catastrophic, I lose a lot of gas when filling so I don't use it anymore.

Finally, the last one is a stone lighter that works really well, is small, practical and doesn't make any noise:

This one is made of plastic and metal (the quality is really superb), the gas escapes when the lid is opened and it works really well but I no longer use it with my bricks as small stone deposits can appear.

To tell the truth, as a sticky brick enthusiast, the only thing left on my desk is the PB-207 (this one still works as it did on the first day, a very nice little lighter that has everything going for it).

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Similar to the limited editions, the mechanics are identical in every way to the OG.
This is a Higher Standards branding, that is all.

As far as limited editions go, it is all just aesthetics. I did jump on a color way that appealed to me when my black one broke down... just could not resist teal with the white glow-in-the-dark label.
Yeah, like most "special" rebranded stuff... so you think if it's legit $28 is a good deal...? I think it lists, with color options, white was my only choice, so probably close out stock, for $90... the label's been created...!🙏🏻🤗

Thanks!

Bologna,

AndyO

I wonder if anyone could convince me of a need to spend $50-100 on a blowtorch.

Is there any difference other than consistency? Is it a scenario where you spend hundreds on an Anvil, so you should spend $100 on a torch?

At the moment I'm just running a cheap Jabon (similar to this one) and the consistency is becoming an issue, I'm constantly having to toggle with "power" and ensure I'm not getting orange flames, cos then you combust.

If anyone wants to suggest a good torch that's an upgrade (and is hopefully under $100 Australia) I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on it.

AndyO,

Perfect_Speed4069

Not sure of availability down under, but I've been extremely impressed with this. I'm told that long term reliability comes from decent fuel (or at least poor fuel can wreck the performance of a decent torch). In terms of power, heating glass to high temperatures is a feature of the Glass TEDs I enjoy most, and this gives huge amounts of power.

I wouldn't let it anywhere near my Convector/Fusion/Piro/Vapman though

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I wonder if anyone could convince me of a need to spend $50-100 on a blowtorch.

Is there any difference other than consistency? Is it a scenario where you spend hundreds on an Anvil, so you should spend $100 on a torch?

At the moment I'm just running a cheap Jabon (similar to this one) and the consistency is becoming an issue, I'm constantly having to toggle with "power" and ensure I'm not getting orange flames, cos then you combust.

If anyone wants to suggest a good torch that's an upgrade (and is hopefully under $100 Australia) I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on it.
I'm also in Australia trying to find a good torch and haven't found a good one yet, i'm tempted to try the Ronx but I am not sure

TedJones

@VapingYogi @AndyO I’d recommend Ronx if available there. Luv the mini triple for Fusion, and dual for Tempest. Mini is made a bit cheaper (but came as 2pk!). The dual is the best constructed, most comfortable torch I’ve used so far. I’ll probably get their larger when the Buddy is done ;)

AndyO

I ended up taking all the recent advice and ordering a Ronxs from Amazon. It just ticked over the threshold for free (international) shipping, so I went for it. I was also researching quality butane and found that one of the recommended brands is sold at a tobacconist about a 10 minute walk away, so that's cool.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I ended up taking all the recent advice and ordering a Ronxs from Amazon. It just ticked over the threshold for free (international) shipping, so I went for it. I was also researching quality butane and found that one of the recommended brands is sold at a tobacconist about a 10 minute walk away, so that's cool.
I was on the fence - I wonder if I will buy it before it arrives for you :) how long is the shipping estimate? (am aussie too)

VapingYogi,

AndyO

I was on the fence - I wonder if I will buy it before it arrives for you :) how long is the shipping estimate? (am aussie too)

Next week, Wednesday or Thursday. So about 9 or 10 days all up - from memory I'm pretty sure it's coming from the UK.

I reckon you'll buy it before then, hey ;)

Top Bottom