Buds older than 30 days old not vaping well

Venomous

I tried a new dispensary on 4/20. Since they had a pretty good deal, I got two 1/8ths of top shelf and a couple grams of various others to try. It's been about a month now and the buds are not producing very much vapor unless i jack up the temp on the Q. Before they producing good vapor hits at 200... Now I need 230 to get a decent hit. I don't have sophisticated storage, only a few glass jars I keep the herb in. It doesn't appear to be that dry. Still sticky and after I grind it and it easy to clump together. Any ideas?

Venomous,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Sounds like natural degradation to me. Where do you store your jars - in the open or in a box/cupboard? Also are they air tight jars? Air leaking and light both speed up the degradation process leaving your bud less potent and less flavourful.

If you don't have air tight jars it really is worth investing in a few Mason jars. They aren't that expensive and the air tight seal will keep your bud fresher for longer. If you take a while to vape your stash it's worth storing the bulk of it in the freezer and just taking what you need out every couple of days.

Alternatively, if you don't live too far from your dispensary, just buy a small bit at a time and re-stock more regularly.

J.R.R.Tokin',

Venomous

Sounds like natural degradation to me. Where do you store your jars - in the open or in a box/cupboard? Also are they air tight jars? Air leaking and light both speed up the degradation process leaving your bud less potent and less flavourful.

If you don't have air tight jars it really is worth investing in a few Mason jars. They aren't that expensive and the air tight seal will keep your bud fresher for longer. If you take a while to vape your stash it's worth storing the bulk of it in the freezer and just taking what you need out every couple of days.

Alternatively, if you don't live too far from your dispensary, just buy a small bit at a time and re-stock more regularly.

Thanks for your reply. They are sort of airtight. I do have a vacuum sealer, so perhaps I'll just order some small jars to keep the stash in instead. My other buds didn't degrade this quickly.

Venomous,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I personally use the CVault containers for holding my 'stash' and my 'every few days' buds in a jar. This works quite well for me and keeps my stash plenty happy. :)

AGBeer,
Reactions: Venomous

Nosferatu

It's probably just the weed, mnost dispensary weed isn't flushed or has only been dried but not cured. So it's just bland and doesn't really hit. I would try burning one bowl(even if you don't inhale) just to see what color it burns too. If its a gross black it's not flushed, if it is hard to keep lit its probably not dried enough. I bet your sticky bud is just harvested so if it was flushed I bet it just needs to be cured more. I have dealt with bud that won't vape right for so long untill I finnally realized the weed just polain isn't grown right. Its a shame what dispensaries will sell as "organic," it may be organic nutes used but most commercial growers just dry the buds enough so they can be jared and not mold, and then sell em, leaving the user with a bud that is "grassy" and not ready to be lit up.

Nosferatu,
Reactions: Venomous

Venomous

It's probably just the weed, mnost dispensary weed isn't flushed or has only been dried but not cured. So it's just bland and doesn't really hit. I would try burning one bowl(even if you don't inhale) just to see what color it burns too. If its a gross black it's not flushed, if it is hard to keep lit its probably not dried enough. I bet your sticky bud is just harvested so if it was flushed I bet it just needs to be cured more. I have dealt with bud that won't vape right for so long untill I finnally realized the weed just polain isn't grown right. Its a shame what dispensaries will sell as "organic," it may be organic nutes used but most commercial growers just dry the buds enough so they can be jared and not mold, and then sell em, leaving the user with a bud that is "grassy" and not ready to be lit up.

Thanks nos, I don't plan to use them again. I'm lucky as my area has at least 15 despensaries that deliver to your house. So I will definitely try another. I have some hybrid from march that hits perfectly fine, I'm guessing this stuff I got last month wasn't flushed. I'm going to go burn a bowl and examine the results.

Venomous,

Bouldorado

This is correct. I was talking to a dispensary owner the other day, and he pretty much said that his next harvest won't be cured. His dispensary ran out of bud, so they've recently been forced to purchase flowers from other dispensaries and resell them. I imagine this cuts seriously into profit margins. As such, the dispensary is pretty desperate to sell their own weed. He told me the buds will be dried for 2-3 days and then put on the shelves. He also claims optimal cure time is 5-6 days. The thing that bugs me, is that the owner seems to realize that this will adversely affect bud quality, yet is still planning on doing it. Can you say "profit motivates"?

Bouldorado,
Reactions: darkrom

Nosferatu

Venemous, I would try to find an organic delivery service, the best buds grown on Earth can be organic, so it certainly doesn't mean lower quality or outdoor.

Boulderado I see what you mean but I could see him doing it just because that bud is probably better than no bud to most people, but they should inform every patient. And it's funny because yes drying your fresh picked buds takes from like 6-14 days, this is true. But its not exactly the same thing as curing. You dry just enough to right before the stems would snap, or to when they do "snap", then you start the jar burping process. After a few weeks to a month or more of keeping in a glass jar and giving air once a day or so the bud will cure like cheese, and all the musky aromas will be stonger and the high will be more balanced out, also it will be easy to grind, like super easy.

So yeah I see how dispensaries would sell it as soon as it wont mold in a container(6-12 days or so of drying), but it's almost still a ripoff because it will still lose a little weight and get much "better". But of course with a good dispensary you end up getting bud that has been curing longer too. Whats unacceptable is "cheap" curing or using a dehydrator or some shit, but most clubs don't use growers that would do that.

Also with most dispensaries the growers sell them the weakest nodes of the plant usually and keep the rest for them selves and acquaintances.

Nosferatu,
But its not exactly the same thing as curing. You dry just enough to right before the stems would snap, or to when they do "snap", then you start the jar burping process. After a few weeks to a month or more of keeping in a glass jar and giving air once a day or so the bud will cure like cheese, and all the musky aromas will be stonger and the high will be more balanced out, also it will be easy to grind, like super easy.

I think it's important to let the herb cure for at least a month (especially for pain killing use). I have some that has been fermenting for 4 months. Considering this, I'd be sceptical to buy weed from untrusted (not friends) sources. Best thing is to do your own IMHO. It's the best way to escape from profit motivated market, over here black market. I realized that the fresher the stuff, the less vapor it produces at reasonable temperatures. There might be a chemical explanation for this... I'm a vape noob, however not a cannabis noob.

I'd buy some well sealed glasses, stock that stuff and cure it or dry it first depending on the circumstances. Then buy 'new' herbs at your dispensary of trust or your friend.

:peace:

MarcLikesVaping,

Nosferatu

I think it's important to let the herb cure for at least a month (especially for pain killing use). I have some that has been fermenting for 4 months. Considering this, I'd be sceptical to buy weed from untrusted (not friends) sources. Best thing is to do your own IMHO. It's the best way to escape from profit motivated market, over here black market. I realized that the fresher the stuff, the less vapor it produces at reasonable temperatures. There might be a chemical explanation for this... I'm a vape noob, however not a cannabis noob.

I'd buy some well sealed glasses, stock that stuff and cure it or dry it first depending on the circumstances. Then buy 'new' herbs at your dispensary of trust or your friend.

:peace:

Right on man, of course we don't know the full chemical process, but one thing we know is THC converts into CBD, CBN, and all that. Have you ever had wet buds that give you anxiety or make your heart beat really fast, that's because it's uncured. I don't see why we don't have a growing section, top priortity should be getting everyone to grow their own. I wanna show off my self enclosed trick dresser 400w grow box. Anyone can make one in their bedroom.

Nosferatu,

Bouldorado

I
Right on man, of course we don't know the full chemical process, but one thing we know is THC converts into CBD, CBN, and all that. Have you ever had wet buds that give you anxiety or make your heart beat really fast, that's because it's uncured. I don't see why we don't have a growing section, top priortity should be getting everyone to grow their own. I wanna show off my self enclosed trick dresser 400w grow box. Anyone can make one in their bedroom.

I'm guessing we don't have a grow section because this is a fairly niche forum. If the focus was expanded from vaporizers to general cannabis, then I feel it might turn into a tokecity/grasscity. anyway, growing information is widely available on other online sources

Bouldorado,

Nosferatu

I know but don't the rules say we can't even talk about it? We don't need a section I guess but I would like to be able to make a thread about it in the vapor lounge, I guess this isn't really the place though.

Nosferatu,

Venomous

Well I have small children, so growing is out. Although I can posses six plants, I don't think child protective services would be happy about it.

I busted out herb I first bought from a dispensary in march. It's been in the same type of jar my 30'day old stuff was in. What do yu know, it vaped just find. So it looks like I got some junk herb from this 420 special.

What would be the best way about ordering herb in the future? Ask if they haverst their own and cure it properly? Ask if it's organic? Certainly not everyone is going to be honest in the business, especially when they are asking $50 for 1/8th.

Venomous,
Top Bottom