Buds look brownish black...as if they’re burnt. Has anyone seen this? Should I worry?

Baron23

Yes, I've been looking at images and reading about mold for a couple of days. I'm just still having trouble, probably just paranoia, but here's a picture of my bud that I'm curious about (sorry, not a great pic). I'm pretty sure it's fine, doesn't resemble the photos I've seen of mold, but would you mind glancing and see what you think?

As far as a smell, this strain has a really unique smell to it but it doesn't smell like what I would imagine mold to smell like. I'm thinking it's just dank with trichomes and I need to vape some and chill out...

Poets-Walk-9361.jpg

I've torn apart some buds and there's no discernible difference within.
I can't really tell anything from that picture, sorry. I can see what looks like trichomes and what I'm not as certain about.

Take a magnifying glass to it and you should be able to see.

Trichs look like this....and mold doesn't.

Bday-Cake-3.jpg

Baron23,
Reactions: Siebter

Schlumples

Resident Otter
I can't really tell anything from that picture, sorry. I can see what looks like trichomes and what I'm not as certain about.

Take a magnifying glass to it and you should be able to see.

Trichs look like this....and mold doesn't.

Bday-Cake-3.jpg
I just ordered a magnifying glass. Most of what I see look like that, but I think I'll wait until it arrives before vaping this.

Schlumples,
Reactions: Baron23

Tranquility

I just ordered a magnifying glass. Most of what I see look like that, but I think I'll wait until it arrives before vaping this.
Look into USB microscopes. While the prices can vary based on features, you can get a microscope that works great for under $20. (Some have dongles that can attach to the port on your phone. A microscope, endoscope, little place looking inspection camera all in your pocket.)

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/Microscope-D...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Schlumples

Resident Otter
@Slotheus – Looks legit to me.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it is man. Thanks for looking, both of you. This bud was purchased at a dispensary in September, I tossed it in a ball jar and stashed it in my drawer. When I pulled it out and opened it, I was just taken aback by the frostiness and the intense smell. And having been absorbed in mold posts on r/hempflowers, I'm just being very cautious. Going to wait to hit it until the magnifying glass comes in. I got a cheap $11 kit of two lenses (3x and 45x) on Amazon, so hopefully it'll do the trick.

@OldNewbie very cool, thank you! I'll check those out.

I guess I'm just nervous as this is a new world to me. I've been using cannabis for 14 years, but until very recently I didn't have access to quality herb and only recently have I begun studying the plant more in-depth. Mold is something that never crossed my mind in the past. And long story short, I stocked up and have a stash that may last in excess of a year, so I'm going through a process of learning proper storage and in so doing I'm inspecting all the buds pretty carefully.

Appreciate all the tips and advice on this forum. Such a wealth of knowledge here.

Schlumples,
Reactions: Siebter

Baron23

Yeah I'm pretty sure it is man. Thanks for looking, both of you. This bud was purchased at a dispensary in September, I tossed it in a ball jar and stashed it in my drawer. When I pulled it out and opened it, I was just taken aback by the frostiness and the intense smell. And having been absorbed in mold posts on r/hempflowers, I'm just being very cautious. Going to wait to hit it until the magnifying glass comes in. I got a cheap $11 kit of two lenses (3x and 45x) on Amazon, so hopefully it'll do the trick.

@OldNewbie very cool, thank you! I'll check those out.

I guess I'm just nervous as this is a new world to me. I've been using cannabis for 14 years, but until very recently I didn't have access to quality herb and only recently have I begun studying the plant more in-depth. Mold is something that never crossed my mind in the past. And long story short, I stocked up and have a stash that may last in excess of a year, so I'm going through a process of learning proper storage and in so doing I'm inspecting all the buds pretty carefully.

Appreciate all the tips and advice on this forum. Such a wealth of knowledge here.
Those pics of trichs I posted above were taken with a $19 USB microscope I got off of Amazon.

Great little tool and you can really see what's up with your herb.

For example, we have one grower (well, more than one do this) who mostly machine trims. Looking at the outside of the bud vs inside highlights what utter fucking damage they are doing with these machines.

Also, can really tell maturity....cloudy trichs? Any amber? Too many still clear.

This has helped me resolve whose products I favor.

Cheers

Schlumples

Resident Otter
Those pics of trichs I posted above were taken with a $19 USB microscope I got off of Amazon.

Great little tool and you can really see what's up with your herb.

For example, we have one grower (well, more than one do this) who mostly machine trims. Looking at the outside of the bud vs inside highlights what utter fucking damage they are doing with these machines.

Also, can really tell maturity....cloudy trichs? Any amber? Too many still clear.

This has helped me resolve whose products I favor.

Cheers
Interesting, really interesting. I had to go look that up.

Capture.png

So the cloudy trichomes represent maturity and clear is still premature. I think it's time for me to focus on learning more about trichomes, I don't know any of this stuff honestly.

Baron23

So the cloudy trichomes represent maturity and clear is still premature.

well, its a matter of personal taste....I like some amber in my trichs as I vape for pain and sedation and I like mature MJ. All cloudy is ok.

IMO, half clear was cut too young.

Top Bottom