Breaking the tobacco habit

dotcodotuk

Hi there - new user here, found you via Reddit and would like some help picking out my first vape device.

Bit of background for you first - I have smoked for the last twenty years or so and being realistic, I enjoy smoking every bit as much as I enjoy getting high. But, I have a strong desire to move away from smoking and embrace vaping, but my only experience thus far of vaping weed was not as satisfying as smoking it.

Partly that was due to the vapour being kind of thin (a friend has a Da Buddha and while it got me battered, it didn’t satisfy my craving to smoke) but really... well, I like the tobacco hit from smoking.

Now, I don’t need to smoke - I just do because it is the only way I know to enjoy weed and, well, it works for me. I won’t give up rolling joints overnight if I do find a vape, but I feel that with the right vape experience, over time the craving for smoking will diminish.

So... any advice on where I might start looking? I have spent a good week or so doing some light reading and three devices kind of stood out: Solo 2, Dynavap M and the Splinter*.

Solo 2 just seems to get some solid reviews and fits my needs for a ‘home portable’ device, something I could travel with, but can use around the house and not be tied to a wall socket/outlet. The Dynavap feels like it might hit hard enough to scratch my smoking itch, but feels like it is designed for short, sharp bursts. The Splinter seems to be quite versatile and while it needs an accompanying device, I have an eVic VTC Mini for vaping eliquids, so I’m already halfway there.

Sorry for war and peace as a first post, kind of figured more detail would be better than a couple of lines!

PS. I live in the UK but regularly travel to the US, so getting my hands on something that has not yet made it to these shores won’t be an issue, but I would prefer to buy from a UK-source.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Was where you are about 5 years ago. I'd suggest getting a Solo (Not the Solo2). There are many who still prefer the Solo to the Solo2 and the sales right now are amazing.

If you get some cheap glass from DHGATE to use with the Solo, (D020-D bubbler or something similar, 14mm Gong), you can have that bong like experience too.

The Solo is simple but powerful, battery life is great and the taste and clouds may help you steer clear of the tobacco.

EDIT: When I said I was were you are 5 years ago I meant relative to starting to vape instead of smoking herb. I had given up tobacco over 20 years ago. Even though I quit tobacco using the patch to get past the physical drug addiction I really started smoking/using more cannabis to feed the triggers. Like after a meal or a alcoholic drink I needed a cigarette to feed the trigger requirement of a smokey taste and inhalation and would substitute a joint. I think a vape session would work "almost" as well.

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Buy a VapCap. Then keep researching and decide what else you want or need.

Great point! A VapCap is as close to a cigarette or joint as you can get in a vaporizer. Similar form factor and having to use a lighter might help a little with duplicating the ritual.

@dotcodotuk .... Do you smoke cigarettes or just combine tobacco with herb in a joint? Both? Either way a VapCap is closer to a tobacco substitute device than my suggestion of a Solo for cigs and joints.... and the low entry price also makes it a great place to start.

I still prefer a Solo but that's just a personal preference because I'm not into butane vapes.

Vaporware

I’ve never smoked, but I’ve seen a lot of smokers ease their conversions by using VapCaps because of their similarities to joints.

If you ever want something more similar to a bong (you can also take smaller draws and/or use lower temps to not get a huge hit every time), also check out the FlowerPot, Herborizer, Glass Stmphony, G43 or anything similar I missed.

I some people like VapCaps through water a lot too though, so you might be happy with just a VonG body or other glass connection solution for your VapCap. Either way, the M is so cheap and durable there’s no reason not to try them!

justcametomind

Get whatever vape you like, the harder it hits, the better.
If you are on a budget, Vapcap can be great.

The only thing you have to care about is to stick with the vape and avoid combustion for 2 weeks straight. Then your switch should be complete and you will look no longer for it as a pleasurable thing. Quite the opposite.

Last edited:

dotcodotuk

Awfully sorry for not repying sooner - had switched off notifications as they were driving me bonkers, but then managed to forget about the replies I had waiting...

Was where you are about 5 years ago. I'd suggest getting a Solo (Not the Solo2). There are many who still prefer the Solo to the Solo2 and the sales right now are amazing.
Solo does appeal - it seems solid, simple and has potential to work wonders.

I think I can get the Solo 2 for £120 where the lowest I have seen the OG Solo is £100.

The Solo is simple but powerful, battery life is great and the taste and clouds may help you steer clear of the tobacco.
I think the clouds or thickness/density of the vapour is where I'll win the battle against tobacco.

Like after a meal or a alcoholic drink I needed a cigarette to feed the trigger requirement of a smokey taste and inhalation and would substitute a joint. I think a vape session would work "almost" as well.
Bingo - that's pretty much where I am now.

Buy a VapCap. Then keep researching and decide what else you want or need.

Great point! A VapCap is as close to a cigarette or joint as you can get in a vaporizer. Similar form factor and having to use a lighter might help a little with duplicating the ritual.

£43 for a new one... kind of rude not to, right?

Do you smoke cigarettes or just combine tobacco with herb in a joint? Both? Either way a VapCap is closer to a tobacco substitute device than my suggestion of a Solo for cigs and joints.... and the low entry price also makes it a great place to start.
I gave up smoking cigarettes years ago, so only use very light rolling tobacco for joints.

I’ve never smoked, but I’ve seen a lot of smokers ease their conversions by using VapCaps because of their similarities to joints.

Get whatever vape you like, the harder it hits, the better.
If you are on a budget, Vapcap can be great.

The only thing you have to care about is to stick with the vape and avoid combustion for 2 weeks straight. Then your switch should be complete and you will look no longer for it as a pleasurable thing. Quite the opposite.

More votes for the Vapcap... makes sense to start there, then move on if I need to.

Mr Turnip

I don't think any vape device will stop you wanting nicotine they just help a little.

I've got dynavaps love them but they are no substitute for a joint neither is my cloud Evo they just take the edge away for an hr.

It's pure cold turkey I think otherwise you allwaa have a bit of nicotine in your system to niggle you to want more.

I go weeks on end duel fueling then go a week or two without a joint then back to them.

I've not fully fucked combustion off yet.... I like joints too much..

Mr Turnip,

Vaporware

@Mr Turnip In case you’ve never tried, there is some discussion around here of vaporizing pipe tobacco too, so if you want to kick combustion completely but you can’t let go of nicotine yet, you might give it a shot. I hear that tobacco from broken up cigarettes is a lot less good though, so make sure you get something people actually like. ;)

Top Bottom