Big torch refill

Radwin Bodnic

Hey all !

I have a question for big torch users.

Do you completely drain your torch every time you refill it ?

The flame of my big buddy starts to decline pretty early before the tank is empty. It takes more time to heat and it's harder to reach the desired temperature accurately.

But if I drain as soon as the flame start to decline I'm wasting a lot of butane.

With the smaller lighters (PB-207, Vapman), I drain completely before every refill, but that's a very small waste.

What do you guys do ? Refill without draining ? Wasting butane ?

Thanks for your help, I miss using the EMK.

Radwin Bodnic

I just turn the flame size up to compensate as the butane runs low, then drain the little bit remaining before refilling. This works great for everything from the Vapman torch to the bigger, dual-flame Ronxs torch, ime.

I run the big buddy at the highest setting for the EMK. There's no headroom to compensate for fuel pressure loss.

Radwin Bodnic,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I always run mine at the lowest setting, but let's face it, there isn't much difference between highest to lowest on the big buddy. I don't bother draining this torch, like you I didn't like the waste. It hasn't happened yet (I've had it about 3 years) but when it starts to misbehave I'll empty it then.

Radwin Bodnic

but let's face it, there isn't much difference between highest to lowest on the big buddy.
Yeah that's true. Mine gives a low setting on the 2 firsts millimeters of the fader. The rest of the stroke is the same setting : high.

I don't bother draining this torch, like you I didn't like the waste. It hasn't happened yet (I've had it about 3 years) but when it starts to misbehave I'll empty it then.
That's good feedback, thank you Cheebsy.

Maybe I should learn to use it on the lowest setting though. What are your heating times with the EMK ?

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
What are your heating times with the EMK ?
Good question! I honestly don't know! I go by the colour of the flame usually, it's much less demanding of my attention than a timer. I'll try to remember to time it later when I use the EMK and I'll get back to you 👍

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
I have a feeling that my Blazer Big Shot is not producing the flame it used to, despite an extremely thorough purge.

That said, maybe I'm used to bigger and more powerful flames from other devices, and my expectations have gradually been recalibrated (I didn't use it much for 6 months or so). Maximum for me is a tight inner cone of about 3cm. What else might I do to increase the size of the flame, or is this as good as it gets?

coolbreeze

Mine doesn't seem to adjust from down high at all, and it doesn't really give much indication that it's weakening until you're 2/3 of the way through a heatup and it runs out!

I always purge, but I don't use it frequently enough for waste to be a real concern.

Radwin Bodnic

Good question! I honestly don't know! I go by the colour of the flame usually, it's much less demanding of my attention than a timer. I'll try to remember to time it later when I use the EMK and I'll get back to you 👍
Yes the sodium flare is also my visual feedback. I probably could do without counting but I can't help myself : I'm a bass player. Still curious about your tempo though. :)

I have a feeling that my Blazer Big Shot is not producing the flame it used to, despite an extremely thorough purge.

That said, maybe I'm used to bigger and more powerful flames from other devices, and my expectations have gradually been recalibrated (I didn't use it much for 6 months or so). Maximum for me is a tight inner cone of about 3cm. What else might I do to increase the size of the flame, or is this as good as it gets?

Maybe it has something to do with the butane quality ?
Mine is about the same as you. Maybe 35mm inner flame. But the core is thicker than on my other kitchen torch.

What are your stronger devices ? Prince GB2001 ?

Radwin Bodnic,

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
What are your stronger devices ? Prince GB2001 ?
A quad flame honest, and a Ronxs double. That said, even the honest bullet single-flame turned up full-pelt gives the Blazer a run for it's money these days.

I've not yet worked out how I'd justify the Prince yet. The Bullet/Vertigo serpent /Vapman torch cover most of my small device use cases, I think.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I have a blusky big blazer or whatever it's called which is basically a big shot knockoff I think? Anyway depending on the butane, sometimes it loses power when there's still some fuel, so I will burn that off before reloading (easier than trying to purge from the bottom before reloading in my experience) However I consider wasted butane just another necessary evil with my use style, certainly not the most efficient, but I'm very efficient with the dabs so I think it balances out for me personally lol

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Yes the sodium flare is also my visual feedback. I probably could do without counting but I can't help myself : I'm a bass player. Still curious about your tempo though. :)
To make it relatable, I topped up to full, did a small burn to clear excess, then timed 28 secs on smallest flame setting. It was slightly hotter then my preference but was a full extraction in 2 inhales. I think 27 or 6 would have been better..

olysh pops

I use a kitchen torch to heat TEDs.
I fill it before each session and set the flame to the highest setting. In a year and a half of use, it has never been purged and I haven't noticed any weaknesses so far🤞 If I find any, I'll think about purging it.
(I hope you can find a replacement for the EMK)

Last edited:
Top Bottom