Betty Ford passes, does this change things?

Purple-Days

Betty Ford, founder of the famous Betty Ford Center (or such) was a prescription junkie* if memory serves me, and led a campaign for a 'Drug Free America' or something, (read: continuation of the "War on Drugs') again, my words... With the death of the 'old gaurd' do you feel we are any closer to sense, or are the legislators 'all' crazy x 3 ? Best regards and sympathy to the Ford Family, but sometimes it's the wrong war, for the wrong reason...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/world-us-canada-14091004

I respected her and her husband, farewell. (Even if he bumped his head once in a while. ;) )

* back when they gave out doozies . . . by the handful. :cool:

Purple-Days,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
those who have no experience with being dropped on their heads as babies will never have any sense for what causes someone to reach for something like drugs, and will always be suseptible to the world view that drug use requires abstinance and self-control, instead of developing underdeveloped parts of our brains.

for this reason I believe we are no closer to acceptance or compassion towards those individuals on a cultural basis. Those who control the message are adamant: "control your urges or else we will lock you up."

What we need is to get the public better informed, but how? We can't afford to talk on TV, and it's the only medium accessed by the entire culture.

Think back to smoking cigarettes, and how long it took to get real information to the public...they still don't really understand about MAOI's in tobacco alkaloid structure, or what that does to certain people, so the public still hasn't been informed, just certain points have been pushed, but not the real information.

i'd say it's kind of hopeless, to get the People educated. Too many people with business interests and ideological differences stand in the way.

VWFringe,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I don't think it changes anything. Afterall, Nancy Reagan came after her with the "Just Say No" campaign. I remember that from high school. However, a lot of schools just can't afford the DARE programs due to lack of money, but that doesn't mean they can't come back.

Vicki,

Purple-Days

Vicki says, "Afterall, Nancy Reagan came after her with the "Just Say No" campaign."

Remember history please, ;) Richard Nixon started the 'War on Drugs', his VP was booted for corruption and Gerald Ford, Betty Ford's husband was the replacement VP who later was elected as the incumbent. Or maybe I have it all wrong... anyway this is all tied together, including the famous Betty Ford Clinic...

And yes, I remember the 'just say no campaign'. D.A.R.E. was a very aggressive propaganda campaign. Despicable IMO !!!

Purple-Days,

lwien

Overall, I think she did a lot of good, both with her Rehab Center as well as bringing addiction to prescription drugs as well as the horrors of breast cancer to the forefront of conversation. She was pretty fearless for her time.

lwien,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Purple-Days said:
Vicki says, "Afterall, Nancy Reagan came after her with the "Just Say No" campaign."

Remember history please, ;) Richard Nixon started the 'War on Drugs', his VP was booted for corruption and Gerald Ford, Betty Ford's husband was the replacement VP who later was elected as the incumbent. Or maybe I have it all wrong... anyway this is all tied together, including the famous Betty Ford Clinic...

And yes, I remember the 'just say no campaign'. D.A.R.E. was a very aggressive propaganda campaign. Despicable IMO !!!

Um, I do know history. I was trying to make a point that there will always be someone to takeover the war on drugs.

Vicki,

Purple-Days

Wasn't picking on you Vicki, just pointing out that it was a string of characters who have played this out, since 'the war on drugs' started by Nixon (and we all know he wasn't crook...). Well, they seem to be dying off one by one. It's a political game . And both sides (Repubs and Demos) have been very much responsible. But the question is does anything change? As you say, " I don't think it changes anything."

Lwien, the number one drug of abuse TODAY is prescription drugs. While she (BF) called attention to it, nothing has changed, IMO. Other than the fact that people do Meth instead of Mollies, that's been a big improvement, huh?

Purple-Days,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Purple-Days said:
Wasn't picking on you Vicki, just pointing out that it was a string of characters who have played this out, since 'the war on drugs' started by Nixon (and we all know he wasn't crook...). Well, they seem to be dying off one by one. It's a political game . And both sides (Repubs and Demos) have been very much responsible. But the question is does anything change? As you say, " I don't think it changes anything."

Lwien, the number one drug of abuse TODAY is prescription drugs. While she (BF) called attention to it, nothing has changed, IMO. Other than the fact that people do Meth instead of Mollies, that's been a big improvement, huh?

Thanks. :)

It seems like as soon as someone brings up legalization, people act like they are insane to even suggest it. :(

I don't understand how the politicians can ignore the pill problem, but the fact that they are in bed with the pharmaceutical companies probably has something to do with it.

Vicki,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
There is another huge wrinkle in the war on drugs

since the DEA was having a hard time justifying their budget, having not made the dent in our thirst for drugs (no surprise), they've latched onto the "pill problem" (which has been way over-blown in the media) and are arresting doctors who prescribe pain meds to patients.

The chilling effect this has had in the medical profession, and the number of patients it's driven to the black market, mean if you live in America and need more pain medication than the average joe, or for more than a couple of weeks, you are going to experience a lot of pain.

VWFringe,
Top Bottom