Best way to dry herb prior to vaporization?

WeAreVenom

I vote for marijuana
In my area most people who buy weed prefer it to be moist and sticky, of course this isn't the best condition to vaporize your cannabis. So, do any members of the FC community have any tips or recommendations for drying your weed for vaping it?

What I do sometimes is I leave it out in the open so the air can dry it out. But I feel this may negatively impact the potency of my herbs.

Lookatmeglow

I seem to have a bad case of VAS
I have a couple different methods, both seem to work equally.

The first is, I pregrind my material for the week, and as the week goes on it gets drier. I just don't screw the top portion (4 piece grinder) on all the way so there is a little more air flow. It works well enough for my use and the herb I have has never been overly moist when I get it.

The second method is more happenstance than anything else. My SO has a little wood jar/dish that she used to use but was empty. The lid doesn't form a tight seal, but it does fit "snuggly". I will leave out a strain that my SO is found of in it and just rest the lid on top. Again, it drys it out just well enough.

Here is an image that isn't exactly the jar/dish, but a close concept.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/79/72/d3/7972d3c9a5bff4a9e0d3b0fcd76682c8.jpg

The lid isn't like that, it just lifts off.

howie105

In my area most people who buy weed prefer it to be moist and sticky, of course this isn't the best condition to vaporize your cannabis. So, do any members of the FC community have any tips or recommendations for drying your weed for vaping it?

What I do sometimes is I leave it out in the open so the air can dry it out. But I feel this may negatively impact the potency of my herbs.

Most bud gets air dried after harvesting so continuing that process makes sense for smaller amounts. Keeping it in a well vented dark area probable is good too.

howie105,
Reactions: OF

cobra505

Defined
Interesting topic, never considered this or even heard of it before reading this thread. I'm a real heavy Indica high THC guy so my stuff is usually very moist & sticky I usually just cut it up into manageable nugs & then just grind it down. So is the purpose of this a better burn? Do you loose THC by drying IT out?

cobra505,

Baron23

I can only tell you what I do (and I'm from MD also).

I keep most of my bud in a sealed bail lock type canning jar and a 62% Boveda pack
I take out a few grams, put it in a wooden box for a few days. Depends on how dank and moist it is. If really sticky and dank (which is a good thing) then for longer until I feel it will grind up well.
I grind it up with a New Vape find grinder and then store that in a Space Case.

Works for me and yes, well dried (not parched, just dried a bit) herb vapes better IMO. Could use a small cardboard box just as well but I have wooden pollen box (has a screen in the bottom to let some pollen drop through to a glass plate) and that's what I use.

cobra505

Defined
You do kinda what I do except for the container mines stainless but I use the same 62% Boveda packs also.

cobra505,

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Yes.... drier material usually vapes much better. Some depends on your stash and your vape, bu this is one of the first things I learned here on FC some years ago.

The wood box for a few days that @Baron23 mentions is a good way to go IME. Also, locking things up tight with the Boveda pack until ready to use. I also do both.

For a quick dry, my preferred method for years is really simple and super effective. Before grinding, take a 1/2 gram or so (or whatever you'll be grinding for the next day or two) and lightly fold a piece of standard white printer paper around it. Don't need an envelope or anything, but could even use a regular mailing envelope (or whatever) if you want. Key here is just paper! Nothing that is lined with plastic or wax or anything.

The paper is basically to keep the nug safe from one sided overheating or getting dust on it or anything. Think it also helps to absorb some of the moisture as it is released, but it won't be wet when you're done or anything like that. I usually just fold in half twice (paper now 1/4 size), and drop nug into one of the center folds. Put this on top of your cable box or anything else that is a bit warm - or even better in a warm window with sunlight. Give it about an hour - more or less depending on starting stickiness/moisture. From Boveda 62% on cable box an hour is plenty, up to 2 hours OK, too.

Grind as usual (or not if you don't). You'll notice a difference. Couple reasons for this, but I think the biggest is that when you vape - you're evaporating moisture as much as THC and other actives. The more moist your material, the higher the ratio of water vapor (steam). Buy cutting back on the steam, you get a higher concentration of weed vapor. Critical for any flavor chasers and those first couple of hits IMO.

Way back in the day when I knew someone who grew, we used to use a similar method to quick test without curing. Difference here is that much more, and intense drying was required. If you find yourself in this situation, do the same with paper or envelope. Leave it on the dash of a car in sunlight for a couple hours. Of course it will be much better after a proper dry/cure, but this will dry things out enough to get a few good hits to determine if it is time to crop - or even if just impatient.

Top Bottom