Best pen for festival season?

ReifierReefer

I'm wondering what people's opinions are on the best concentrate pen for taking into festivals/concerts. I read a couple threads in which @Tstat asked a similar question and saw recommendations for the Yocan Evolve Plus, mostly pointing out that it was cheap so if it breaks or is lost it's not a big deal. I think that I would go the route of cartridges and a battery over the Evolve Plus, I see cartridges used pretty frequently in these settings and a cartridge lasts longer than a fully loaded pen chamber (I believe).

I saw STS9 at House of Blues in Boston for 4/20 and one of the nice people I met while I was there had a Pulsar APX wax pen that he let me hit a few times. I was talking to him about it and he highly recommended it. I haven't owned any quality pens before, but the APX seemed like it might be a good way to go. The triple quartz rod atomizer in a quartz lined chamber gave a quality hit. I didn't ask what the chamber capacity was, nor have I been able to find it anywhere online. I really like this "pen" because it's super discreet and kind of looks like a small box mod vape (3.5in tall), which would make it easier to just carry into a venue... and it's only $60. As you can see, right now I'm torn between going the cartridge route and the APX, but want to get any input from those who are knowledgable on pens.

Though it doesn't say on Pulsar's website, the APX wax atomizer is 510 threaded. With this in mind might it be better to just get the atomizer and an aftermarket mod? If I'm going that route anyway, maybe the Saionara atomizer would be an improvement over the APX atomizer. My main requirements are that the pen needs to be either efficient or have a high capacity chamber. I don't really care which, I just want avoid needing to refill the chamber every few hits. I doubt the APX is very efficient given its atomizer, but I just don't know. What do you guys think?

ReifierReefer,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Nothing can compete with a prefilled cart for lack of reloading. You might look into the Miracle S, seems to be the best substitute, but if you live somewhere where you can easily acquire a prefilled its hard to beat for never having to load scenarios.

herbivore21

Nothing can compete with a prefilled cart for lack of reloading. You might look into the Miracle S, seems to be the best substitute, but if you live somewhere where you can easily acquire a prefilled its hard to beat for never having to load scenarios.
Actually, the dynavap range can compete with a prefilled cart and is what I would always choose instead.

Get a Vapcap M. Put a small concentrate pad in on top of the stainless screen. Stuff the remaining bowl completely full of non-full melt hash. That'll last you a good part of the day with delicious rips and you don't have to worry about the crapshoot that is trying to find a prefilled extract cart that isn't full of nasty carrier solvents or wasn't pesticide ridden, like many of the pre-filled distillate carts can be these days. :2c:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Actually, the dynavap range can compete with a prefilled cart and is what I would always choose instead.

Get a Vapcap M. Put a small concentrate pad in on top of the stainless screen. Stuff the remaining bowl completely full of non-full melt hash. That'll last you a good part of the day with delicious rips and you don't have to worry about the crapshoot that is trying to find a prefilled extract cart that isn't full of nasty carrier solvents or wasn't pesticide ridden, like many of the pre-filled distillate carts can be these days. :2c:

I dig the Vapcap, but you have to work a torch lighter while surrounded by people which would be hard to see during the day, and hard to hear over the music. Some people can't hear the Vapcap in a quiet room. Also the Vapcap is a really poor session vape in my opinion, and those kind of events tend to be quite sharing.

Im not a big prefilled fan but I think some people have access to some pretty good quality carts these days to use for a day. Or a Pop Naturals (or similar) syringe and a ceramic atomizer based pen would work well too and be easy to load.

If it was me I'd just squeeze some rosin and bring my pen.

herbivore21

I dig the Vapcap, but you have to work a torch lighter while surrounded by people which would be hard to see during the day, and hard to hear over the music.
I never have trouble seeing my torch flames in the daylight - the kind of lighter used will of course have a lot to do with whether or not the user can see it.

I have used my vapcap in the above way many times in loud live music contexts. Hearing the click is not so important when using the vapcap with concentrates, since you need to heat past the click anyway. It is more a matter of being able to time your heat up consistently and no hearing is required. I have no trouble doing this in a loud environment. YMMV of course.

By the way, while the vapcap is not a good session vape for large groups of people, it is a whole other story when it is packed with concentrate. It becomes an incredible vape for large groups, the same small bowl can be passed around to 5 or 10 people depending on the load :D

If it was me I'd just squeeze some rosin and bring my pen.
This is another great idea, the puffco+ is seriously amazing for this purpose, because reloading rosin off of parchment is much easier on the go with the Puffco 'dart' dabber in the mouthpiece.

hafalump

What's a concentrate? never hadand probably never will in this fucking state. Enjoy it brother.
You are fortunate, be grateful.

hafalump,
Reactions: Squiby

herbivore21

What's a concentrate? never hadand probably never will in this fucking state. Enjoy it brother.
You are fortunate, be grateful.
Respectfully my friend, I make every single concentrate that I use. I do not buy concentrates at all, ever.

As such, I am not fortunate. I worked very hard for a very long time to get my abilities to where they are at. With as much modesty as someone can have when making a claim like this, I only have myself to be grateful to for my access to concentrates (also skilled growers, as well as some wonderful people who provided early advice to me, like my dear old friend Hashtag, who isn't even able to be tagged here anymore :( ).

As @psychonaut says above - learning to press rosin is the easiest way to get concentrates. Pretty much every person on earth can make safe, tasty concentrates with the rosin method. If you can get flowers, you can get concentrates. Bubble hash for these purposes is also very easy to make (if you want full melt, that'll be a whole other story lol).

Last edited:

ReifierReefer

By the way, while the vapcap is not a good session vape for large groups of people, it is a whole other story when it is packed with concentrate. It becomes an incredible vape for large groups, the same small bowl can be passed around to 5 or 10 people depending on the load :D

When you say it can be quite effective for a group session, how many people can toke on it before you need to reheat it? I've got a vapman and love the ritual of using it, but at a concert I just would rather be paying attention to the show than heating up the chamber. The other issue is that I don't think I have access to non full melt hash, plenty of quality solvent extracts though and rosin... how would these w. I really want something that is rather simplistic, and it sound like it can't really get any more simple than a prefilled cart.

I have limited access to prefilled carts, enough to get a few for a festival but not on a regular basis. Have you tried the Miracle S? It looks like it meets my demands based on a quick google search, I'll need to research further. I hadn't really considered bringing concentrates with me in a piece of parchment paper, this is something I would be able to do but would still prefer not to.

Anyone used or have insight on the Pulsar APX wax pen?

ReifierReefer,

herbivore21

When you say it can be quite effective for a group session, how many people can toke on it before you need to reheat it?
That really depends on how much concentrate is in the cap, how much you heat it and how well you've made a concentrate pad for it. IME, you can get 1-3 HUGE whitewall rips from a vapcap stuffed with any concentrate (rosin etc works great btw, just make sure to use a bigger concentrate pad - check out the vapcap thread for assistance with concentrate pads). With the vapcap M, I can get enough whitewall with flower alone to be able to do large rip myself, then pass it to somebody else and let them take a similarly large rip. With concentrates, this ability drastically increases.
've got a vapman and love the ritual of using it, but at a concert I just would rather be paying attention to the show than heating up the chamber.
I've had the vapman too, but it looks too unusual (attracts too much attention) and has too much wood (which gets filthy with concentrates over time) to be useful for concentrates IME. I do not recommend it for concentrate use. It also is not as easy to torch without paying more attention, as if you torch the wrong part of the vapman, you will burn wood etc.

I really want something that is rather simplistic, and it sound like it can't really get any more simple than a prefilled cart.
On the whole, generally speaking, it also does not get any less safe than a prefilled cart. Distillates with no solvents (which are just about the only possibly safe thing to consume in such carts) are still frequently found to contain unsafe levels of pesticide residues. The processing methods that create liquid solutions for carts like this are all the kinds of methods that allow vendors to take terrible starting material and polish the turd beyond recognition. The nasties become invisible except to appropriate lab testing.

As an extract processor I can say that if you wanna maximize your chances of spending money on sub-par, unsafe extracts, buy prefilled carts!

Anything with PG/VG/PEG should be avoided, period. That shit is all unsafe to vaporize. Many ecig style prefill carts are also fundamentally unsafe due to materials/design issues. These are cheap, throwaway products that were not always designed with safety in mind. If you can find pesticide/solvent tested distillates that have no PG/VG/PEG and a safe cart to use with it, then this can work. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of choices for pre-filled carts though.

Please consider the Puffco+ too, the flavor is unparalleled vs other pens IME. It also has a dabber built into the mouthpiece which makes loading your dabs super easy when at a show. It'll mean that you can give huge rosin rips to your friends similarly to how you would with a dab rig.

hafalump

Not to derail, I work just to find good flower, can't imagine squishing it for a couple hits???
Im sure its great if u grow, or know some one. No volume here.:\

hafalump,
Reactions: Squiby

herbivore21

Not to derail, I work just to find good flower, can't imagine squishing it for a couple hits???
I am a living refutation of what you are saying here. I don't grow and do not personally know anyone who grows. I only use concentrates. If you can get your hands on reasonable (not outstanding!) flowers, you will have no problems squishing.

If it vapes well and your rosin method is good, it'll squish well. The squished buds can also be ground and vaporized afterwards as normal. Nothing is wasted.

Concentrates will allow you to pack longer lasting, better tasting bowls in your vapes for purposes like this thread.

I learned to make concentrates long before the rosin tek was created and have had no trouble. You are living in the age of the easiest to have DIY high quality extracts yet with rosin tek! I suggest taking advantage :D

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Not really a derail you may have helped some people know they have access to concentrates.

The truth is its just a different way to dose. It's too relative to say a couple of hits. Lower temp use will yield many hits, its used on a much smaller scale. 0.3gr of flower will give a similar effect as 0.05gr of concentrate in my experience.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Your basically extracting the things you would actually want to vaporize though, versus puffing on cellulose for 10 minutes. Here's some I got from a hair straightener.

25a2s1u.jpg

Skyscraper

As such, I am not fortunate. I worked very hard for a very long time to get my abilities to where they are at. With as much modesty as someone can have when making a claim like this, I only have myself to be grateful to for my access to concentrates (also skilled growers, as well as some wonderful people who provided early advice to me, like my dear old friend Hashtag, who isn't even able to be tagged here anymore :( ).

Hey
@herbivore21 , not to derail this thread but what happened to Hashtag? I hadn't seen him around for a while, always thought he was a cool guy. Had some excellent looking flowers and hash.

Top Bottom