Best non vac purge method?

baltik

Basically I get decent trim twice a year, good for 4-5gs of oil total. So these are micro runs. I also live in SF and have no storage space so getting a ton of equipment for what's essentially $150 worth of oil is just not worth it. Not to mention I can get dispensary oil all I want for $30/gram... That said I hate wasting and enjoy the process, so is there a ghetto way to produce safe bho?

I know a mityvac 25hg purge in a Bell jar is considered insufficient for some - any other thoughts?

baltik,
Reactions: ataxian

matthend

I have not bought a pump and dessicator (yet), so I have been doing all small (about 5g) runs and doing the old thin film heat purge with hot water for about an hour changing every five minutes or so. Loving the taste of my results now, but i do realize they could be better:drool:

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Before getting my elect vac pump and chamber, I used a crude hand brake pump and a thick glass cookie jar (glass hinged lid with the metal clamp down & silicone seal), that I took clear shipping tape and surrounded all the glass for that 'just in case' shatter moment.

I worked really good (forearm & hand cramps et all, lol), and could pull -28 with it. Total investment was under $50 (more like $35), and it did me fine for 2 yrs until I got tired of it being a workout, lol.

smokum,

baltik

thanks smokum - how did you handle the heating with the jar? warm water bath?

also was your hand pump just a standard mityvac?

baltik,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
thanks smokum - how did you handle the heating with the jar? warm water bath?

also was your hand pump just a standard mityvac?

I used a heat gun to just molten the concentrate enough that it wasn't solid while it sat either on a piece of parchment paper or one of my tiny glass dishes that would fit the 'neck' opening of the jar, then stuck it in the makeshift glass chamber and started pumping. I typically had the 'chamber' on its side for ease of use. I'd do this approx 3 times or until all I was raising was tiny terp/air bubbles or was satisfied that it was all I was going to be able to purge with that set up.

Yes, it was a mityvac look-a-like kit that I picked up at Princess Auto that came with a plastic mini chamber (don't use that), and the hose, attachments (incl a suction cup attachment). ** Forgot to mention previous, that I did have to buy a small ceramic drill bit to drill a hole in the lid of my thick glass jar lid to attach the suction cup**

smokum,
I started with a hand pump and upgraded to the electric shortly thereafter. I don't know of any hand pumps that can reach full vacuum and that is truly where the magic happens. There are affordable electric pumps around 100 dollars that will get the job done (get at least a 3cfm). I suggest going on craigslist and taking a peak at what's available in your area.

EDIT: I live in SF too and am amazed at the poison I see clubs pawning off as "medicine". Once you get enough runs under your belt you will be making BHO that is FAR superior to those 30 dollar grams.

If you have any questions send me a msg.

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Basically I get decent trim twice a year, good for 4-5gs of oil total. So these are micro runs. I also live in SF and have no storage space so getting a ton of equipment for what's essentially $150 worth of oil is just not worth it. Not to mention I can get dispensary oil all I want for $30/gram... That said I hate wasting and enjoy the process, so is there a ghetto way to produce safe bho?

I know a mityvac 25hg purge in a Bell jar is considered insufficient for some - any other thoughts?
Check out you tube videos of dry ice hash extraction...

SSVUN~YAH,

Tuck

Out of curiosity, could I use a foodsaver for the vaccuum purge?

Tuck,
I don't believe a foodsaver can pull a deep enough vacuum to purge effectively. However, I have never tried it..

purplek,

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
As Ive said in another thread, I have found that just simply adding a small amount of ISO in the Pyrex, or your preferred vessel of capture while running butane, allows the butane to evaporate out more easily, leaving eventually only the alcohol, and then a slight amount of water. All of which can be hot water bathed out, only requires and hour or maybe three, depends on the amount obviously. If you get bored pour alcohol into your herbs after running butane and you can observe the volatility of the reaction between the ISO and butane as the butane almost instantly is evaporated. But I'm no chemist lol I just assume that's the observed reaction. Not to mention this method done properly never sparks on the dab test for impurities.

DabComa,
Reactions: z9

z9

I don't believe a foodsaver can pull a deep enough vacuum to purge effectively. However, I have never tried it..

I haven't tried it either, but some commercial vacuum sealers used by restaurants can pull extremely strong vacuums. If you have access to one and can keep the bag from collapsing on your oil then go for it; what have you got to lose?

z9,
the bag will collapse for sure. you would have to rig it up to a decent chamber. mason jars are a start because of their price, but they are not very safe under full vacuum with added heat.

purplek,

z9

the bag will collapse for sure. you would have to rig it up to a decent chamber. mason jars are a start because of their price, but they are not very safe under full vacuum with added heat.

Yeah i can see a little glob of oil become a huge pancake in one of those things. which is why they make vacuum chambers. A legitimate vacuum set up costs a lot, I'm not down for using a glass mason jar that can possibly implode.

z9,
Reactions: smokum

zourdiesel

As Ive said in another thread, I have found that just simply adding a small amount of ISO in the Pyrex, or your preferred vessel of capture while running butane, allows the butane to evaporate out more easily, leaving eventually only the alcohol, and then a slight amount of water. All of which can be hot water bathed out, only requires and hour or maybe three, depends on the amount obviously. If you get bored pour alcohol into your herbs after running butane and you can observe the volatility of the reaction between the ISO and butane as the butane almost instantly is evaporated. But I'm no chemist lol I just assume that's the observed reaction. Not to mention this method done properly never sparks on the dab test for impurities.

I have some 99%, will try this method next time!

zourdiesel,
Top Bottom