Best Butane torch/quartz

What's the best butane torch to use with a quartz banger? I have a cheap iroda creme Brulee torch that does the trick but flame is a little light.

BoomerGrow

If there is a bed bath & beyond near you I would get the 20% off coupon and pick up a bonjour torch from there. I bought one a few years ago and use it with my travel kit and it heats up the 4mm banger in 20-30 seconds. Takes longer for the quartz to cool off to take the dab actually.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Ill never go back to a BB& Beyond torch again!

Get a Blazer BigShot... Chubbs/Nuggetry did a comparison a while back and he was spot on. These are so much hotter, heats so much faster, is so much easier to use, and is so much more reliable than the BBB Torches, and I even put it on a pedestal above Vector and all the other name brands. BIGSHOT is the end of your search.

stressed

If there is a bed bath & beyond near you I would get the 20% off coupon and pick up a bonjour torch from there. I bought one a few years ago and use it with my travel kit and it heats up the 4mm banger in 20-30 seconds. Takes longer for the quartz to cool off to take the dab actually.
i just used my bonjour today for the first time. it's excellent!

it's the first time i've ever used a torch. i'm now a dabber sort of!

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
I have recommended the Bonjour torch for years. I've personally bought, and known many people who have bought torches from BBB & Amazon.com and they've all worked great.

However, a friend of mine recently took my suggestion and picked up this model from Amazon:

41BSzuZ0GuL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/BonJour-Butane-Culinary-Brûlée-Aluminum/dp/B000G9OYX4

This is NOT the same torch as a Vector. It is much smaller and the flame output is much weaker than my previous Bonjour torches or current Vector.

Regarding the GT8000 Big Shot mentioned by @FlyingLow - That's an awesome professional grade tool for those interested. http://www.amazon.com/Blazer-GT8000-Shot-Butane-Torch/dp/B000NCZU0A

bropoke2233

seconding the blazer recommendation. needed a torch quick so i picked up a BB&B model but that money would have been much better spent towards that blazer big shot.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Seriously STOP the search. Get the BigShot. Forget size, it outperforms ALL the rest. Vectors can't touch these...

And at $45 don't think twice! I can't believe how much better the experience is than having to constantly hand light or replace Bed Bath torches with failed ignighters.

BoomerGrow

Seriously STOP the search. Get the BigShot. Forget size, it outperforms ALL the rest. Vectors can't touch these...

And at $45 don't think twice! I can't believe how much better the experience is than having to constantly hand light or replace Bed Bath torches with failed ignighters.

I have heard about the igniter failure on the Bed Bath torches, and I have to agree the BigShot looks awesome. If I wasn't so reliant on my enail I would definitely get one for that price.

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
@FlyingLow I do believe the Big Shot uses the exact same piezoelectric igniter that literally all other torches and many plain jane lighters use. I've disassembled and repaired over a dozen of these torches now.

The Big Shot is a great torch but when it comes down to it, it's more of a tool than a smaller "dab" torch. These can be operated with 1 hand easily to activate the safety and strike the piezo ignitor. The Big Shot on the other hand is more like a propane canister with a gas control knob and the ignitor separately.

This wouldn't be a huge problem except Blazer put the ignitor on the right side of the torch head.

If you are right handed your thumb lands on the left side of the torch.

This means turning on the Big Shot is a 2 handed operation or requires being set on a table and therefore takes longer than the easy operation of a Bonjour/Vector whatever.

(Honestly even if you are left handed I'm not sure if everything can be done with one hand the same as a Bonjour can be operated completely one handed. Any lefty Big Shot users here??)

It's for this reason of 'ease of operation' that although I've used many Big Shots and appriciate the majority of its design aspects -build quality, weight, butane capacity, and more, my daily dab torch is a Vector.

One other difference; most of these torches have very similiar nozzles and will deliver the same type of flame. I've noticed that the Newport torch lighter has a much more diffused flame and therefore takes longer & uses more butane to heat the same nail compared to the Vector.

The Big Shot is the opposite has a more focused and 'thinner' flame than the Vector. preferences on this "pencil" flame go both ways; it seems to put plenty of heat and I have no issues with the way it heats a banger/honeypot swing, but some friends of mine have gone back to Vectors after using the Big Shot extensively because they prefer the slightly less focused flame of the Vector. (How big is the difference and how much is nitpicking? Up to the individual. I rather like the flame of both units for anything I heat personally, but if you're heating an XL banger you might not want the Big Shot.)

If the igniter ever fails, it's pretty easy to replace. Use a small phillips driver to remove 4 screws, remove the safety assembly, and cut the ignitor wire. Then take a cheap dollar piezo lighter apart and cut the igniter out of it, strip the ends of the wire, slip heat shrink over one lead, bend some hooks and crimp them together, then melt the heatshrink.

https://www.instagram.com/p/34nDZeIUJD/?taken-by=samuraisam33
https://www.instagram.com/p/6eL3WOoUB0/?taken-by=samuraisam33
https://www.instagram.com/p/34ojsYIUL_/?taken-by=samuraisam33
https://www.instagram.com/p/34mLSFoUHP/?taken-by=samuraisam33
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAqpEVDIUAx/?taken-by=samuraisam33

In the wise words of Skunkman Sam, "Different Smokes for Different Folks. Give the people what they want: Choices."

Last edited:
I ordered the big shot so feel free to continue to praise it, providing positive reinforcement. Not interested in the cons that make me doubt my purchase!

In all seriousness, this has turned into a pretty great thread with points on both sides. Keep it up and I'll let you all know how the big shot works for me.

walrus

Blazer is a great torch for sure, several of my friends have one and it performs well. I still prefer my bb&b torch though. Thing has been a workhorse for me, about 4 years old and performs exactly as well as it did on day 1. Can't beat it for $24 (with 20% coupon).

LarryYo

Dab connoisseur.... I just like dabs.... a lot
I dont have any pictures of my torch right now il upload some later i was tired of going through all these cheap torches and i came across one called "whip it" thats the name of the brand had it for about 6 months now and its been firing great has a good sized flame. looks a lot like the silver one in the pictures above me except its all green lol. It gets used very often everyday as well!

LarryYo,
Top Bottom