Bad taste from HD vape

Ztob

Only been vapin for a few months but will never go back. I got a new vape that has I think what they call a shower head. It tasts like a metalic fishy taste that I just cant tolerate. Its a HD Pocket Vape. What to do now? Ive boiled and washed it thinking maybe something from when they made could be the problem. Its a flavor that stays with me like Im coughing it up. So for now it just sits there and Im out of 75 bucks.

Ztob,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
I'm not sure what you are tasting but I doubt it's butane. I suggest trying a torch lighter and seeing if that helps. The only time i get a funky taste (mind you with a VG) is when I use a regular flame lighter and I let the flame dip down too much and touch the filter. While I realise the HD vape doesnt have a filter (in the VG sense) it might generate soot while touching the glass and fuck up the taste. Torch lighter don't do that so you should get a much better taste. Of course you'll probably have to adjust the technique a bit but it shouldn't be too hard.

I would also use some ISO alcool to clean if you think somekind of film. ISO is a solvent and should get rid of everything if anything is in there.

Skunkypete,

Ztob

Well I tried a torch lighter too, and that made it worse. Seems like the hotter it gets the worse it tastes. All I have to compare it with is a glass Vaporgenie that gives pure flavor a good vapor. The glass diffuser cap is the same size as the HD Vape so I tried the VG heat diffuser on the HD Vape just long enough to produce heat and that fishy flavor. Euck.. I will try the iso, thanks for the tip. But reguaredless of the taste the thing is so hard to get vapor, its like I cant tell if Im buzzed or just screwed up from try so hard to get a freekin hit. Oh well, bummer; time to go give my Other pipe a work out. later....

Ztob,
The HDvapes are pictured on their website as having brass screens.

Brass screens are produced in the devil's basement by his soulless minions of the night. They have no benefit over stainless steel that I'm aware of - they taste like crap, they disintegrate easily (mostly into your lungs, mind you) and generally piss me off.

Both stainless steel and brass often have coatings on them for whatever insane reason, probably so they don't rust while they sit on a store shelf for a decade. Before I use any screen for any purpose I hold it with tweezers while flaming it, watching that oil-slick crap disappear. Try using a high quality stainless steel screen which you've flamed.

Also give everything a salt and rubbing alcohol shake - the glass blower could of somehow gotten some crap in there and spoiled the taste. Hell, we should probably all give new glass pieces a bath before using them, both for sanitary reasons and because sometimes pipes have glass dust remaining, or even glass chunks - as someone who has blown glass for a bit it's not even something you can blame the artist for, it's just what happens when you're running production.

So in your experience, does the glass VG win out over the HD vape outside of the flavor issue?

charliedontsurf,

Ztob

charliedontsurf said:
The HDvapes are pictured on their website as having brass screens.

Brass screens are produced in the devil's basement by his soulless minions of the night. They have no benefit over stainless steel that I'm aware of - they taste like crap, they disintegrate easily (mostly into your lungs, mind you) and generally piss me off.

Both stainless steel and brass often have coatings on them for whatever insane reason, probably so they don't rust while they sit on a store shelf for a decade. Before I use any screen for any purpose I hold it with tweezers while flaming it, watching that oil-slick crap disappear. Try using a high quality stainless steel screen which you've flamed.

Also give everything a salt and rubbing alcohol shake - the glass blower could of somehow gotten some crap in there and spoiled the taste. Hell, we should probably all give new glass pieces a bath before using them, both for sanitary reasons and because sometimes pipes have glass dust remaining, or even glass chunks - as someone who has blown glass for a bit it's not even something you can blame the artist for, it's just what happens when you're running production.

So in your experience, does the glass VG win out over the HD vape outside of the flavor issue?

Hi, well I did try using a stainless screen from the same batch that I have for the VG. Will try the salt bathalso. as far as compairson the build quality of the VG blows that HD right out of the water. The HD in compairson looks sloppy, nothing straight, looked cracked where he tried to melt the stem to the body under the bowl. Honestly the taste has kept me away from it but to make vapor it a huge task, the vg makes good vapor clowds and wondrerfull flavor. Just thought maybe I was missing something so i ordered the HD.

Ztob,

max

Out to lunch
Well I tried a torch lighter too, and that made it worse.
Well, that absolutely rules out the possibility of butane being the taste culprit. People claiming to be tasting butane are really tasting carbon black (soot), or smelling butane that's been released prior to igniting the lighter, or after the flame has gone out. Butane cannot escape flame without being broken down into its components of hydrogen (burned quickly and completely) and carbon (burned partially unless using a torch).

max,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Max, interesting, so if you are sucking butane in while taking a hit, you should not be getting any butane to your lungs?

stonemonkey55,

caseball2051

thats what ive read monkey. ive read that no butane can escape while the flame is lit.

alot of people disagree though.

caseball2051,
Top Bottom