Backsliding into combustion

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Since buying a house and moving in with fiancee, I've started smoking more than the occasional joint. Probably for about 2 weeks, and I've noticed a few interesting things in comparison with 100% vaping.

-I go through much more weed when smoking than when vaping (when vaping I could indulge, use all day on weekends and consume ~0.5g/day). Perhaps as much as 2g/day, And this is just with evening smoking. And only tof the point of pain relief.

-The pain relief does not last as long.

-The high does not last as long.

-People easily know that I've smoked....as long as a few hours after.

-It tastes.like absolute shit in comparison to vaping. I can pick up a faint lemony taste, something hashy, a bit of brown sugar and that's it.

-I feel a lot stupider when smoking than when vaping.

-Smoking is more sedating.

Just some random observations.

Tom

tdavie,

OO

Technical Skeptical
out of curiosity, what was your vaporization technique?

OO,

Gunky

So do you like it, as in guilty pleasure? Or are you going along when someone else combusts? I can't seem to get into combustion any more. Largely the taste, seems ashy after vaping for a while.

Gunky,

hereatlast

I'll admit that I've never been able to completely quell my joint smoking. Whether its circumstantial (i.e. the company I keep) or the urge for the tactile familiarity and nostalgia a joint brings, I still smoke a joint from time to time. Generally this "backslide" occurs once a month or so and the next day I'm particularly inclined to vape and shy away from the fire....nonetheless, I do enjoy the process (though the observations the OP describes are completely inline with my experience as well). That said, I completely prefer the process and high that vaping provides.

hereatlast,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
tdavie said:

couch-lock components don't vape until *206 C ! just read that today

delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
Flash Point: 149.3 C

cannabidiol (CBD)
Flash Point: 206.3 C

Cannabinol (CBN)
Flash Point: 212.7 C

cannabichromene (CBC)
Flash Point: 174.2 C

cannabigerol (CBG)
Flash Point: 207.2 C

delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-8-THC)
Flash Point: 144.5 C

tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV)
Flash Point: 137.6 C

so understandable that smoking is more sedating, just as people find the higher temp vapes better for pain

My pain doctor says that there's nothing to worry about with smoking, as long as you don't also smoke cigarettes, since, he says, the nicotine immobilizes the scilia, which he says normally clean the lungs of particulate very well (as long as you don't smoke cigarettes).

*fuck it, i gotta start thinking like this someday...wasn't that back in third grade, they said someday? hahaha

VWFringe,

Nosferatu

VWFringe said:
tdavie said:

couch-lock components don't vape until 206 C ! just read that today

cannabidiol (CBD)

Cannabinol (CBN)

cannabichromene (CBC)

cannabigerol (CBG)

so understandable that smoking is more sedating, just as people find the higher temp vapes better for pain

My pain doctor says that there's nothing to worry about with smoking, as long as you don't also smoke cigarettes, since, he says, the nicotine immobilizes the scilia, which he says normally clean the lungs of particulate very well (as long as you don't smoke cigarettes).

Really he said smoking weed cant be harmfull?

Nosferatu,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
OO said:

Iolite from Dec 11/09 until roughly March/10.
Extreme .v3 from Jan/10 until currently.
MFLB from March/10 until Feb/11 (will resume)
SSV from Aug/10 until currently.

I've pretty much stopped using bags, but expect I'll start up again shortly.

Tom

tdavie,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Nosferatu said:
Really he said smoking weed cant be harmfull?

you should call him, his practice is pretty small and you'd prolly get a call back soon.
http://mmofoc.com/

he said paraphrasing that my lungs would normally be able to clean it out and that it doesn't cause cancer

i know from my reading that long time smokers scilia do not wake up again a certain percentage of the time (become motive or whatever, i think it was 40% don't), after quiting analogs (i don't know if mine have or not)

i'm cool, i made the switch, i even reconstitute wand oil onto ABV and re-vape instead of burning it now

VWFringe,

crawdad

floatin
breathing in combusted plant material is not exactly the best thing, not sure anyone (and yes, even a doc) could convince me otherwise but most herb smokers tend to intake far less of combustion than say a cig smoker...it seems.

i too combust sometimes, dont feel guilty about it...i do it to preserve herb by only combusting my abv when my first green vaped bowl did not do the trick or "just feeling like hearing that bubble sound". it certainly does wear off quicker and actually i can get a much more solid couch lock with a high vape temp, ymmv.

my vg backslid into combustion last night on accident, i was using a torch lighter and for some reason the flame went to 5 times normal size super fast and before i could remove the flame the entire bowl scorched! i was pissed...for about a minute.

crawdad,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Nosferatu said:
tdavie said:

cannabidiol (CBD)

Cannabinol (CBN)

cannabichromene (CBC)

cannabigerol (CBG)

*fuck it, i gotta start thinking like this someday...wasn't that back in third grade, they said someday? hahaha

Where I come from we have an expression for this: teaching your grandmother to suck eggs.

See http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=2197. Notice who started that thread.

pakalolo,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
pakalolo said:
Where I come from we have an expression for this: teaching your grandmother to suck eggs.

thanks, hahahaha

and, sorry, tdavie, if my tone was condescending

i get so excited about learning new stuff, i lose all concept of the fact that it isn't new stuff
of course it's the automatic assumptions of who others are and where they are i need to watch out for

---------------------------------------------
I learn something every day. thanks,
from wikipedia:
Teaching grandmother to suck eggs is an English language saying, meaning that a person is giving advice to someone else about a subject that they already know about (and probably more than the first person).

VWFringe,

hereatlast

I think its best to perhaps not take certain information out of context. While I think its pretty clear that a higher-temperature can achieve more sedative effects (appealing only to our own perceptions of course), to suggest that this process or the 'efficacy of that induced state' (wording? having trouble verbalizing my thought here) begins only at a certain temperature is problematic.

That is to suggest (all from my own perspective) that its best to not take such effects in isolation and preference a more holistic view...in other words, components that the couch-lock effects are owing to may vape below or above that 'magic number,' and further (and just as or more importantly IMO), its not possible at our current scientific understanding to isolate any components as causally efficacious of a couch-lock or any other specific 'high' or feeling. In short, I like to think of the selective targeting of cannabinoids and other compounds via temperature manipulation as one that must take the cannabinoids and compounds in a package (suggesting that perhaps the couch-lock or sedative effects occur at a certain temperature range and the compounds that cause this effect work in tandem) and not in isolation.

All my :2c: :peace:

hereatlast,

OO

Technical Skeptical
tdavie said:
OO said:

Iolite from Dec 11/09 until roughly March/10.
Extreme .v3 from Jan/10 until currently.
MFLB from March/10 until Feb/11 (will resume)
SSV from Aug/10 until currently.

I've pretty much stopped using bags, but expect I'll start up again shortly.

Tom
could you be even more specific?
there are more things to consider, like very specific things

my background in chemistry hints that you cannot expect a flash boiling situation in a crude mixture like a resin gland, and that the cannabinoids will boil off over a range of temps around the specific chemical's boiling point.

OO,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
OO said:
my background in chemistry hints that you cannot expect a flash boiling situation in a crude mixture like a resin gland, and that the cannabinoids will boil off over a range of temps around the specific chemical's boiling point.

I can be as specific as you want; I've got a chem degree :)

And yes, when you are looking at a 'dirty' mixture of different boiling point compounds you're not likely to get 'clean' evaporation/volatilization/boiling off of specific components of a mixture. However, in my opinion it is a good indicator of what we can expect from vaporizing and selecting certain temperatures.

Tom

tdavie,

wthanna

Evaporation (vaporization) can occur well below the boiling point and is easily observed. Leave a cup of water out for a while and it will evaporate at room temperature... heat it to 100 degrees Fahrenheit and it will evaporate a little faster... 200 degrees.. a little faster... etc. :peace: A puddle of water in the sun evaporates and reaches nowhere near the boiling point.

wthanna,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
VWFringe said:
pakalolo said:

thanks, hahahaha

and, sorry, tdavie, if my tone was condescending

i get so excited about learning new stuff, i lose all concept of the fact that it isn't new stuff
of course it's the automatic assumptions of who others are and where they are i need to watch out for

---------------------------------------------
I learn something every day. thanks,
from wikipedia:
Teaching grandmother to suck eggs is an English language saying, meaning that a person is giving advice to someone else about a subject that they already know about (and probably more than the first person).

I can't speak for Tom but I didn't see your tone as condescending. In fact I assumed you didn't realize who he was or what his background might be, but I am a wise-guy who has a hard time resisting a cheap shot. ;)

pakalolo,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Nah, no one in this thread has been condescending towards me. And I rarely take offense.

I guess combusting is sort of a guilty pleasure for me. I like it, don't know why, but will probably continue to spark up a joint as long as the fiancee keeps rolling them. I know they're not stealthy, but in your own home hopefully no one has to be 'stealthy'.

Part of me can even justify combusting by saying that 'I am getting ready for Amsterdam'. Assuming of course that I a) don't want to use the vaporizers that coffeeshops have to offer, and b) I'm not buying one there.

Tom

tdavie,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
OO said:

Yup, and I pretty much agree with it. I prefer lower temperatures, and tend to get pain/inflammation relief from ~140-180C. At 190C if I feel like a 'fuller' hit, but then only a few puffs. If I go from 140-180, I can hit it for about 2 hours. If I'm feeling nauseous/can't sleep I'll hit it at 210, 220 and 1 or 2 hits and that's all she wrote. Literally can't handle any more.

Tom

tdavie,
Top Bottom