AVB Water cure question

sickmanfraud

What color is the AVB after the water cure?

I took 50 grams of AVB did the AVB and came up with 37 grams of dried AVB.

However, the dried AVB (oven never higher than 170F) looks kind of black. Is that normal?

I was planning on making a tincture (1 oz finished GD) using ethanol and the freezer method.

I just don't want to waste time or ethanol.

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
What color is the AVB after the water cure?

I took 50 grams of AVB did the AVB and came up with 37 grams of dried AVB.

However, the dried AVB (oven never higher than 170F) looks kind of black. Is that normal?

I was planning on making a tincture (1 oz finished GD) using ethanol and the freezer method.

I just don't want to waste time or ethanol.
AVB is (kind of by definition) already dark.
Did the AVB get darker after the cure?

sickmanfraud

AVB is (kind of by definition) already dark.
Did the AVB get darker after the cure?

yes. It was beige, brown and some black before the cure. now it is almost uniformly black even before drying it out. I put the AVB into a cold brew coffee bag for the water cure. Could that have affected it?

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Radwin Bodnic

yes. It was beige, brown and some black before the cure. now it is almost uniformly black even before drying it out. I put the AVB into a cold brew coffee bag for the water cure. Could that have affected it?
ABV is darker when wet.

Did you let the door of the oven slightly open ? Allowing all the humidity to escape always gives a better drying process. And the warm air escaping the opening will create more convection in the oven.

edit' :

My oven has a tool to keep the door a tad open. It's useful for drying (< 40°C) and also spit-roasting (> 200°C).

I don't have a picture with ABV though it works absolutely the same to dry mushrooms (but over a few hours).

These are Craterellus Cornucopioide :
IMG-3179.jpg

They are gray when dried properly. But if I let the oven closed they'll end dark and with less flavor.
Same goes for wet ABV. The ABV should still be potent though. I'd give it a try with a small amount to see if it works.

edit" : spelling and phrasing.

Last edited:

lazylathe

Almost there...
Whenever I water cure my AVB it does not change colour drastically at all.
It goes in a light colour and comes out slightly darker because it is wet.
The water changes to a nice dark colour but i replace it until it runs clear.

Once I have cooked it in the coconut oil it is definitely darker in colour.

Top Bottom