ATTN Herbgirl or experienced cooker(glycerin question)

Nosferatu

I am making a glycerin tincture in a crockpot and just realized my lowest setting is getting it near 200F. Is that safe or am I gonna kill all the actives. I have ALOT of money in this and didnt expect I couldnt get my crockpot low enough even on Warm setting. Anyone who can answer please chime in its cooking as we speak. I heard 211 is the temp to keep it at but just found a site saying do not let it pass 180!

Nosferatu,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
I can tell you from some experience that you want to keep the temperature at or below a simmer. I think 200F should be fine, but I would keep a very close eye on it.

Nuphile,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I've made glycerin tincture a few times now and I've used a $5.00 candle warmer. It remains under 200 and seems to do the trick quite nicely. I use a small majon jar on the candle warmer. The last couple batches I added a bit of Everclear to aid extraction knowing I'd be heating it long enough to evaporate some of that out. I've been heating/stirring mine for about 8-10hrs. with good results.

I gave some of my glycerin tincture to a heavy user and he was over the moon! Good stuff ;)

Lo,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
sorry i didn't see your post sooner.
i found my crockpot to be uneven so i don't use it for anything like that. I do use a mini crock pot lil dipper - actually a freebie with the original crock pot - to warm pga tincture, but i havent really done any glycerin based stuff in it yet.

i really have no clue what the magic temp is - not sure that anyone does, everything i see says something different.

hope it turns out for you :)

btw, i am flattered to have a post directed at me, i wish i could help you more!

herbgirl,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
I assumed you were using a water bath and a sealed container to hold the tincture when I made the above post. If you are just putting the glycerin tincture in the crock pot, I would advise against it. It's messy and difficult to heat evenly.

Nuphile,

Nosferatu

Well even I forgot I posted this! :lol: ANyway it came out ok, coulda been stronger I bet. So is it better to do this in a sealed jar within the crockpot next time? I did it in open crockpot with lid on mostly.

Nosferatu,
Top Bottom