• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Attention Californians, Do you know about prop 37? (its coming this November!)

Nycdeisel

California's Prop 37 would label Genetically Engineered or Modified Foods(known as GMOs). Do we have the right to know whats in our food? What is your stance? What will you vote(if you will be voting this year in CA)?

This is a very in depth article, which also has a chart showing some of the companies that are donating money to support this, as well as the ones who are donating money to defeat this bill!
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/09/13/california-gmo-labeling.aspx

If I lived in the state I surely would be voting on this, and I know what I would vote. How about all of you? I think I have a right to know whats in the food I and my family purchases and eats
Plus, if this happens in the state of California, it will surely not be able to be neatly contained in the state, and will spread all over the US so that those biotech companies wont be able to avoid labeling and letting us know whats in our food!

http://www.carighttoknow.org/

This will be in less then two months! So get the word out! Share links and info wherever you can(through things such as email, social networking sites, and your local community!)

gmo-map.jpg

And finally, here is an ad to support Prop 37, enjoy

Happy Voting and Happy Vaping everybody

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
The Food industry is VERY scary. If you really dig into it, you find out there is a definite and deliberate course, to control the worlds food supplies, by just a few entities. The seed market is the most damning.

Control the food. Control the population. I don't give a damn which side of the aisle they're on. They ALL want that power.

Nycdeisel

Yes, its true ALL of the biotech companies and ones who are invested into their products are just out to control the population via food supply. They can only make money when they patent their chemical crap!

Nycdeisel,
Reactions: Vicki

max

Out to lunch
Corporations are killing us with chemicals- sometimes quickly and sometimes slowly. This GMO crap is the most insidious yet. Processed foods, full of chemicals and lacking good nutrition, are bad enough. Now they're processing it even before it's grown.

"GE organisms actually become part of the bacteria in our digestive tracts and reproduce continuously inside us. But the USDA now wants to to remove all controls from GE corn and cotton!

There are no human clinical trials of genetically engineered foods. The only published human feeding experiment revealed that genetic material inserted into GE soy transfers into the DNA of bacteria living inside our intestines and continues to function. Even after we stop eating GE foods, we may still have the GE proteins produced continuously inside us.

As the Institute for Responsible Technology has noted, the genetic engineering process creates massive collateral damage, causing mutations in hundreds or thousands of locations throughout the plant’s DNA. Natural genes can be deleted or permanently turned on or off, and hundreds may change their behavior. Even the inserted gene can be damaged or rearranged, and may create proteins that can trigger allergies or promote disease." http://www.anh-usa.org/genetically-engineered-food-alters-our-digestive-systems/

max

Out to lunch
after which you will need a fecal transplant
Wow. That's a new one. Gives a whole new twist on the old expression- 'eat shit and die'. :lol:

My next door neighbor had a horrible time, for months, with a fucked up digestive system, and got :shrug: from multiple doctors. It turned out that he got a prescribed overdose of antibiotics from a dentist. Dentists, oral surgeons, and periodontists all require you to take antibiotics before procedures that involve getting your mouth the least bit bloody, since it's so easy to transfer infection through the mouth into your bloodstream. My neighbor's fix just involved getting some quality intestinal flora back in his gut. His experience, with just temporary antibiotic dosing, isn't common, but it sure gave him a fit.

Nycdeisel

Interesting, Max. I actually took a certain antibiotic from the Fluoroquinolone(aka FQs or sometimes just Quinolones) class of antibiotic drugs. these are LAST RESORT drugs but are often given for minor infections if it even is an infection. Anyway these drugs have terrible devastating adverse side effects, and many people who have taken them have an adverse reaction. Many end up bedridden or can not walk without a chair/scooter/cane and the symptoms vary very widely. Heres some info on these drugs, and a word of advice, NEVER take them, and never let family, friends, or loved ones take this shit! I would go into detail but this thread is supposed to be about GMOs, however I like to spread the word where i can to at least try to prevent just ONE person from suffering this hell.

http://www.myquinstory.info/

and finally! some MSM(mainstream media) recognition for this condition(sometimes referred to as FQ toxicity), and even though they say its "rare" or "unusual" which is a complete lie, it is still good IMHO to at least get some recognition about this issue!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...cs-may-carry-serious-side-effects/?ref=health
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/harmful-side-effects-antibiotics

also breaking news, Def Leppard keyboardist Dick Decent dies of fluoroquinolone side effects(I took the same drug he did, Cipro)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/def-...144172_2340285_360190190726922#f78cbf49cb07a6

This is not penicillin! this is a serious antibiotic and it often is not prescribed appropriately. This is for LAST RESORT situations only. yet I got it for a minor, common infection(a UTI)

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I am very sorry for deviating from my original post, but antibiotics were brought up and that strikes a cord in me deep down, its a very personal thing. and please feel free to message me on here if you would like to talk more baout any of these things. Thank you and have a nice day.

And it seems the general consensus here is that GMOs are indeed dangerous, and can cause lasting damage.

Nycdeisel,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Back on topic, I wish I remembered who said it. But, he basically lived his life on the following...

If it wasn't a "food" a hundred years ago (though, you would have to go a bit further back)... he won't eat it.

Though, unfortunately... unless you belong to collectives and grow your own... you're kind of screwed. And as pointed out by Max.... some of it, could have been from YEARS ago. We planted a lot of stuff this year, but had a couple of heat waves, that caught us off guard and wiped out a lot.

These are the people that truly scare me. They don't wear political stripes and aren't after anything, but complete control. People talk about the New World Order and freak out. It isn't going to be what a lot think it will be. They will literally have us by the proverbial balls, unless you are completely off the grid. But, it will start with the food.

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: Nycdeisel

Nycdeisel

Celebrities Bill Maher, Danny DeVito, Dave Matthews, Jillian Michaels, Emily Deschanel, John Cho, Glenn Howerton, Kaitlin Olson, KaDee Strickland and Kristin Bauer van Straten say “YES” on Proposition 37. SHARE this video to your friends and family!

Nycdeisel,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I've been reading more on this bill. Its not health driven, its special interests and political. The common question, why is it required to label some and not others? Why do I need to know what's in my dog's food and not my steak?

Celebrities endorsing it? Now I really don't like it. Celebrities know even less than your average Joe walking down the street. I typically vote for anything they endorse. I see what the public is behind and why. This bill is bad news and seriously flawed and is going to cause the already high prices we're paying, to skyrocket.

No thanks. More government bureaucracy, more tax dollars and more heavy-handed feds.

BigDaddyVapor,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
You should replace those tomatoes with a can of dog food. This bill doesn't have anything to do, with protecting the public.

And while I love the Beatles, McCartney is and always has been an idiot, on any subject outside of music. Celebrity endorsements mean zip, considering most high school graduates are better educated.

Honestly, you should wonder why I suddenly changed my mind on this ridiculous bill? Because I'm all for truth in advertising and labeling. What could possibly turn me 180 degrees on this? Trust me, it want a celebrity that changed my mind, nor a commercial. I actually checked into the bill to see what its about. Its another special interests bill.

It is not what you think it its, nor gong to have the desired effect. Oh Paul's lying to.

BigDaddyVapor,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Genetic Roulette: The Gamble of Our Lives is a film by bestselling author Jeffrey M. Smith. Experts expose the serious threats that genetically engineered foods pose to your health and how corporations like Monsanto hide the evidence.

When the US government ignored repeated warnings by its own scientists and allowed untested genetically modified (GM) crops into our environment and food supply, it was a gamble of epic proportions. The health of all living things and all future generations were put at risk by an untested infant technology. After two decades, physicians and scientists have uncovered a grave trend. Never before seen evidence points to genetically engineered foods as a major contributor to the declining health of the US population, especially among children. Gastrointestinal disorders, allergies, inflammatory diseases, and infertility are just some of the problems implicated in humans, pets, livestock, and lab animals that eat genetically modified corn and soybeans. Even more telling is the fact that when people and animals stop eating genetically modified organisms (GMOs), their health improves.

Monsanto's strong arm tactics, the FDA's fraudulent policies, and how the USDA ignores a growing health emergency are also laid bare. This sometimes shocking film may change your diet, help you protect your family, and accelerate the consumer tipping point against genetically modified organisms (GMOs). Don't miss this film that exposes the world's most dangerous food scam.

3 versions to watch/share :)

2.5 min trailer:

10 minute re-mix:

Full Length Version:

Resources:
  1. http://geneticroulettemovie.com/
  2. http://responsibletechnology.org/

Nycdeisel

California sets an example for the rest of the nation. As is the case with medical cannabis. California was the first state and seems to have to most appropriate MMJ laws.

OO

Technical Skeptical
Please do this kind of thing in your own state, I don't want my state coming off Eco-mentalist.

Show me studies showing the harms caused by genetically modified organisms.

OO,

yelooo

I suppose if people really want GM food to be labeled, it should be.

That said, I really think most food, could, and maybe ever should, be GM. So labeling might be a bit stupid in the not too distant future.

We have an absolutely devastating food crisis on our planet, the global population is booming, millions die of starvation every year. Indications are that climate change could make things even worse.

GM foods offers us an incredible way of combating this problem. I really can't understand your objections to it. GM food does not mean "processed crap" as someone writes above. It means higher yeilding corn. It means maize that can grow in hot arid areas in Africa. It means saving the lives of millions of people.

Yes trials are needed, but every time they try to trial the food, protesters destroy the crops! Let the scientists do their work, they actually do know what they are doing.

Nycdeisel

Oh stop it. Most food IS GM and its NOT going to save the planet! In fact it makes the issue worse. They say there are larger yields but the experience of the growers shows that to be untrue.

Nycdeisel,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Oh stop it. Most food IS GM and its NOT going to save the planet! In fact it makes the issue worse. They say there are larger yields but the experience of the growers shows that to be untrue.
do you have any evidence to support any of your claims? specifically avoid the idea that most food IS GM, since really that isn't what I'm interested in. the other claims you make have more significance.

The reason I don't care about the first part is that the previous poster said that most could be or will be, which you don't seem to disagree with.

OO,

Tamataz

Icelander
Didn't read what everyone said, but i want to say my 2 cents. I believe genetically engineered/modified foods is not the answer, and is bad. There are so many negatives effects from it, and I'm sure there are a even more undiscovered, that we will realize only before its to late.

momatik

People get very emotional and riled up when you want to talk about food, a basic necessity. As others have pointed out, this is not a black and white issue despite how polarized the debate has become.

GMO's have already helped in developing countries like India and China. Just for example, massive amounts of research goes into increasing Folic Acid content in rice grains. This type of research could help tens of millions of Asians, and easily integrate into the lifestyle.

What I absolutely despise however, is the defense of refusal to add GMO labeling by scientists. "It's studied more than most food!" So because you, as the scientist, are familiar with the studies related to the GMO, I should be comfortable with the product? I shouldn't have a right to be aware that it is a GMO, and therefore read these related studies myself?

But GMO stuff, again, is not a black and white issue. Take for example, BT-Cotton and suicides in India. I personally don't know where to stand on the whole issue, as reputable sources that I respect stand on both sides of the debate. So it kind of scares me to see how polarized this GMO issue has become overall-although I do feel like the issue of labeling is kind of a non issue. If the majority of people want them, which I assume they do, give me a good reason worth going against the majority why we shouldn't?

And now some links:

http://marginalrevolution.com/margi...hould-there-be-required-labeling-of-gmos.html

That blog post is filled with info, and I like the top comment.

Andrew' September 17, 2012 at 7:32 am
You could engineer a GMO to kill everyone. Or it could be the cat’s pajamas. Or, a lot of effort goes into avoiding the first, aspiring to the second and ending up in the middle. But they aren’t awesome by magic. Are we against all kinds of labeling, or is this just being pro-GMO because labeling something GMO would confuse the sheep?

"Confusing the sheep" isn't a good enough reason, in my opinion. :2c:

momatik,
Reactions: yelooo
Top Bottom