Attention ALL Dog Lovers !!!!

lwien

If you haven't seen this yet, it's a must.

On NOVA............Dogs Decoded.

Just aired tonight. Will be streamed at their site if you can't catch it on TV.

And if ya watch it, the very best shot of a dog that I have ever seen is at the very end.......................priceless. :)

lwien,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thanks for the heads up lwien. I'll try to catch it on line.

Edit to add that they are only showing the preview on their link at this time. Hopefully, the full episode will be available soon. I'm bummed I missed it the first go round; it looks fascinating.

momofthegoons,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Check your listing. In my area it is being replayed in HD the 14th.

Tstat,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Just watched the show here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/dogs-decoded.html

Really an interesting piece on the genetics of how dogs became domesticated. Of course, being a dog owner, I could have told you how smart these guys are! Mine has my whole family wrapped around his paw. :lol:

And if ya watch it, the very best shot of a dog that I have ever seen is at the very end.......................priceless.

Lol...nothing like a dog and it's ball!

momofthegoons,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
I also watched this on the local PBS channel, and what an amazing documentary!

It was interesting to see how easily they bred out the wildness and natural fear/aggression towards humans, of the silver foxes, in that study in Russia.

A must see for dog owners, or anyone interested in animals.

nicelytoasted,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
What I found fascinating with the study on foxes was that their bodies changed after several generations of domestication. Their tails curled, legs shortened, etc. It was also interesting that contrary to the fox, the wolves that were raised in domestic settings couldn't be "tamed."

momofthegoons,

lwien

How 'bout the study that showed that dogs will look to the right side of our faces for emotional visual clues and that they only do that with us and don't do it with any other species including their own, and, they are the only animal to do this. Even chimps don't do this.

And that they altered their barking patterns in order to communicate with us, etc etc etc. It was fascinating to say the least along with this quote, "If it wasn't for the dog, our civilization, as we know it today, would not exist."

lwien,

Rick

Zapman
Funny that quote would be in that documentary. That is one of my favorite things to say about dogs........."If they had not been by our side for the last few thousand years, we would have all killed ourselves by now"
Mainly because of the unconditional love they show us. They bring us out of human-ness and back to spirit-ness. They keep us alive. They sleep with us and eat with us. Then they finally teach us how to die.
It would be tough to live without dogs.

Rick,
Oh nice! I love good documentaries. (and dogs:D) Thanks for bringing this to our attention lwein.

wunderkind,
Top Bottom