Attempting to vape with a lighter

george

Okay so while i've been using my glass recently, ive tried to light the bowl with the flame being as far as possible. Sometimes the herb will combust and sometimes i can produce browned/blackened bud. What i'm wondering is, am i creating a combination of vapor and smoke? is the heat from one tiny piece of burning bud vaporizing the molecules that are near it?

I feel like i get a better taste when i do this, which made me think i might be making a combination of smoke/vapor. I also don't cough from these hits. :/

george,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I think the color of your bud and exhale will help determine whether you are getting combustion or not.

If your bud is looking black (and/or DEEP brown) then chances are you reached combustion. Anywhere UP to this point could safely be considered vaporization. If you plan to use a lighter to vape, do yourself a favor and get a vape MADE for use with a lighter.

Or just get a vape and say FUCK COMBUSTION! :p

AGBeer,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
combustion = ash, if there is no ash there was no combustion. Blackening and burning and even smoke yes, but outright combustion no.

DeepFried,

crawdad

floatin
being a cigar and pipe tobacco smoker (far less now) i prefer pipes and like the feel of glass so went with the glass vapor genie and use a lighter (but want to try a hemp wick at some point). you end up going through lots of lighters (or fuel) as you want to slowly heat up the bowl and not just "nuke it" or you end up getting smoke and associated carcinogens.

crawdad,

Genoxin

Really? I thought I was the only one who vaped out of pieces.
I vape using my glass chillum all the time actually. And its still quite efficient.
I hold the bowl-side upwards and heat up the glass from underneath, rotating the chillum every few seconds. So your literally heating up the glass around the bud.

I have no idea how you managed to vape by keeping your lighter further away. Heating up the glass is definitely the way to go. You can taste the vapor once the glass gets hot enough, and if you combust, then you'll feel the vapor get thicker.

Good luck to you, and try using a zippo. They burn hotter then bics and cost less in the long run.
10 fl.oz of zippo fluid -- $3-5
1 bic lighter, roughly .7 fl.oz -- $1-2

Genoxin,

OO

Technical Skeptical
i use a glass straw, works great.

plus it makes my friends think i smoke crack!

OO,

george

Hey Genoxin, i like your way (heating up your chillum) , but i dont think this could work with my bong bowl.

I've thought about a glass rod before, but i ordered the glass vapo-bowl. So ill be good once i get that. I'll finally get to vapor bong!

george,

djonkoman

my first vape-experience ever was with a test tube and a candle
it worked, I got the vapetaste(wich was very unique and very delicious to me at the time, my goal was also vaporisation tough so I was expecting it, but still it was delicious)
only I didn't get any visible vapor ost of the tie, just the flavor and hot air, but I did get high from it once or twice(really mindhigh, unique high, but I mostly did it for the flavor, didn't do it that much tough)

djonkoman,

george

^^ Yes my first vapor was with a lightbulb vape i made. Made me feel like a crackhead and it tasted weird so i threw it away after one use :rolleyes:

george,
Top Bottom