Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Stthings

I'm trying to do some burn offs. I've had it on for probably 3 sessions at 430 F at 5-7 minutes each. Using a flashlight, I can still see a little bit of fumes coming from the bowl, and I can definitely notice the smell still. I'll keep trying the burn offs to get rid of it as others have mentioned.

Stthings,

HSIHP

I Have an idea that could help the plastic taste before the first use. Maybe turn it up to temp and blow through the unit for a few minutes? I don't have one yet but ill probably order one once the 2nd round comes out. :cool:

Meghan

Wow, now I'm really confused.

My instinct is to cancel my order and pick up an Ascent next year, if/when all the bugs are worked out. Honestly, I rarely choose to be an early adopter of anything, for just this reason. I only went ahead and pre-ordered the Ascent after reading positive reviews and hearing such good things from beta testers. I figured that coming from a seasoned company, it was a pretty safe bet...

The positive reviews and reactions are awesome and have been keeping my dwindling hope alive. I totally want that vape. But some of these videos and reports of malfunctioning units...yikes. I switched to vaping for my health, and I've even gone mostly vegan for my health, so I definitely take the inhalation of mystery smoke pretty seriously (I didn't quit eating chicken tikka masala for nothing!!) :D

All I want is a simple-to-use, fairly advanced pocket portable...and every single one on the market at the moment seems to have its flaws (some fatal, for me). My kingdom for a reliable, digital pocket vape (from a reliable company) that produces decent clouds, is reasonably low-maintenance, doesn't smell terrible, has a good battery life, is healthy, and tastes nice. Seriously.

I hate to say it, but man, I wish my Solo was pocketable! :\

sam reynolds

because "Samantha" is a mouthful.
Wow, now I'm really confused.

My instinct is to cancel my order and pick up an Ascent next year, if/when all the bugs are worked out. Honestly, I rarely choose to be an early adopter of anything, for just this reason. I only went ahead and pre-ordered the Ascent after reading positive reviews and hearing such good things from beta testers. I figured that coming from a seasoned company, it was a pretty safe bet...

The positive reviews and reactions are awesome and have been keeping my dwindling hope alive. I totally want that vape. But some of these videos and reports of malfunctioning units...yikes. I switched to vaping for my health, and I've even gone mostly vegan for my health, so I definitely take the inhalation of mystery smoke pretty seriously (I didn't quit eating chicken tikka masala for nothing!!) :D

All I want is a simple-to-use, fairly advanced pocket portable...and every single one on the market at the moment seems to have its flaws (some fatal, for me). My kingdom for a reliable, digital pocket vape (from a reliable company) that produces decent clouds, is reasonably low-maintenance, doesn't smell terrible, has a good battery life, is healthy, and tastes nice. Seriously.

I hate to say it, but man, I wish my Solo was pocketable! :\
When is your order due? You could risk it and hope they're doing better QC on the next few batches (which I have no doubt they're looking into after all these complaints), or wait and have the luxury of a better-seasoned device, possibly at a discount somewhere.

I'll be doing the latter...but will watch the situation with my brother's with a tinge of schadenfreude... :)

sam reynolds,
Reactions: Shrike

thedanks

Yes. Okay. Wow. Okay. It may taste like the bottom of a fisherman's foot, but it's definitely working. 15 minutes into the session and I'm feeling quite medicated...maybe more-so than I usually do with the Solo at this point.

Sipping made all the difference.

My instinct last night was to pull a continuous draw, but the working technique feels more like the MFLB.

However after a session at 385, the bottom is now uncomfortably warm. And my mouth tastes like expired smoked salmon.
LOL. Smoked salmon he says.

Meghan

When is your order due? You could risk it and hope they're doing better QC on the next few batches (which I have no doubt they're looking into after all these complaints), or wait and have the luxury of a better-seasoned device, possibly at a discount somewhere.

I'll be doing the latter...but will watch the situation with my brother's with a tinge of schadenfreude... :)

I ordered from EZVapes, so I no doubt have a little wait in front of me...not sure it will be a long enough wait to hope for issues to be ironed out, though. This is exactly why I never minded receiving mine after those who ordered direct from DV. I figured it would be instructive to see other peoples' reactions before mine even shipped, but I honestly never thought there would be so many troubling reports, so quickly. It just makes me wonder what's coming once people have used these initial units for a few months...

vape4health

That one seal is the only thing the WE were told was changed inside from the beta units right....

I feel for you guys having issues. Hopefully they all get worked out and this thing can rank up there with the other greats. Maybe the presale hiccup was a good thing, saved me from having a vape to be pissed off about right now......as I take a big clean hit from my ________

sam reynolds

Interesting...I'm really starting to think we just have a bad thermostat or thermometer. I just did another 15 minute sesh, starting at 300° and working up to 350°...towards the end was getting vapor and AVB equivalent to a 4 on the Solo...and the bottom feels more like the Solo after a long session.

This particular unit may run about 30°-50° hotter than the readout says.

I wonder if there's any possible combination of buttons that will lead to a factory reset or diagnostic or something.

Oy...all this science is giving me the munchies.

Last edited:
sam reynolds,
Reactions: nigel

thedanks

Interesting...I'm really starting to think we just have a bad thermostat or thermometer. I just did another 15 minute sesh, starting at 300° and working up to 350°...towards the end was getting vapor and AVB equivalent to a 4 on the Solo...and the bottom feels more like the Solo after a long session.

This particular one may run about 30°-50° hotter than the readout says.

I wonder if there's any possible combination of buttons that will lead to a factory reset or diagnostic or something.

Oy...all this science is giving me the munchies.
Milady, are you expieriencing the gasses and if so AND you have a solo why risk it?

thedanks,

Rexxe

I'm trying to do some burn offs. I've had it on for probably 3 sessions at 430 F at 5-7 minutes each. Using a flashlight, I can still see a little bit of fumes coming from the bowl, and I can definitely notice the smell still. I'll keep trying the burn offs to get rid of it as others have mentioned.

I'm going to keep doing burn-offs too, but I also am still noticing the smell and the smoke. Aside from the inhalation of the fumes, I wonder if whatever is causing it is degrading the unit in any way. It would be great if maybe DV could open one up that is also experiencing this and see what it is and let us know.

sam reynolds

i must admit i am a bit envious of your ability to have such an outlook.
Bit of a necessity these days. :\

A few positive thoughts about the Ascent:
- quicker to turn on/off than the solo
- easier to check herb doneness
- feels much smaller than the solo, even though they're the same height.
- (tip) keep a jar in the bowl after your session, and you'll always have a perfect tamp with you.
- heats up pretty darn fast
- looks pretty fucking cool

Now that we're correcting for temp, it's growing on me....

Last edited:

Stthings

So, I continued with the burns and the smoke pretty much disappeared. I used a flashlight and felt pretty comfortable, but just to be sure, I actually took sips out of the completely-empty Ascent at 430 degrees and I didn't exhale anything. So I guess it disappeared. It still has that funky smell and the taste is iffy but maybe that's just the new smell of an Ascent. We'll see if DV comments.

Poopman525

So, I continued with the burns and the smoke pretty much disappeared. I used a flashlight and felt pretty comfortable, but just to be sure, I actually took sips out of the completely-empty Ascent at 430 degrees and I didn't exhale anything. So I guess it disappeared. It still has that funky smell and the taste is iffy but maybe that's just the new smell of an Ascent. We'll see if DV comments.

I just got home and took my Ascent on full charge and set it of 430F and let it sit for like 10 mins. I saw a very small amount of smoke and then none after that. I did do a quick wipe down of the bowl surface and stuff with 90% ISO. So I'm thinking it might be one of those burn off the newness type of deals because I don't see anymore smoke. I didn't have anything in the bowl either. So it's looking like I might have a completely non-defective unit. I guess I got lucky =p :tup:

Bit of a necessity these days. :\

A few positive thoughts about the Ascent:
- quicker to turn on/off than the solo
- easier to check herb doneness
- feels much smaller than the solo, even though they're the same height.
- (tip) keep a jar in the bowl after your session, and you'll always have a perfect tamp with you.
- heats up pretty darn fast
- looks pretty fucking cool

Now that we're correcting for temp, it's growing on me....

It seems like everyone does the same thing. Hates at first, and eventually finds love lol

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

thesoloman

I Have an idea that could help the plastic taste before the first use. Maybe turn it up to temp and blow through the unit for a few minutes? I don't have one yet but ill probably order one once the 2nd round comes out. :cool:
I took mine out side during one of my burnoffs and blew a lot of air thru it with an air compressor, in the end it still smoked or offgassed and was visible.
EDIT: I wish I could love my Ascent! Its such a cool device. If it didn't have these issues i would be thrilled!

Last edited:

thedanks

im pretty thankful for my backup. I did burn-in for appx 2 hours last night and then i woke up at 5:30 this morning and have been doing burn-in cycles all day. I must be at around 10 total 20 min+ cycles. They advised me by 5 it should be good... my burn-off is STILL visible.

Vapnoob

Nubile Vaporist
Does anyone know if you can remove the silicone seal? If you can it was suggested awhile back to use a rubber band around the outside of the unit. This would return it to a GonG vape, at the cost of ease of use and look. If that seal coms out that's the first alteration I will be making.

Vapnoob,

thedanks

Does anyone know if you can remove the silicone seal? If you can it was suggested awhile back to use a rubber band around the outside of the unit. This would return it to a GonG vape, at the cost of ease of use and look. If that seal coms out that's the first alteration I will be making.
dude can you be a little more specific on what silicone seal you are talking about? My problem is from somewhere in the non-accessible part between the ceramic heat element and the metal grill on the bottom. Thats where she's gassing from.

Vapnoob

Nubile Vaporist
I meant the seal beteeen the two halves. I myself would be seeing if I could get that grill off. Just to I can see what is going on.

Vapnoob,

sam reynolds

Not that I'm committing to anything yet, but does anyone here have one of those Ryot cases? Ascent is 4.75" long, and specs say the Ryot is, too. But is that inside or outside dimensions? Sounds like it may juuuuuust barely fit, or not at all.

sam reynolds,
Top Bottom