Arizer Solo

Samo_T

I just finished writing a review of the Solo for our website, and figured it would be helpful to post it here as well.

(Apologies for any spelling and grammer mistakes, English is not my mother tongue.)

Looks

The Solo comes securely packed with lots of protective foil, especially around the glass parts. All parts are securely and separately packed to avoid damage during transport.

Inside the box we find:

- 1 Arizer Solo Vaporizer (or as described on the instruction sheet, Multi-purpose Battery Powered Micro Heater.
- 2 glass diffuser tubes
- 1 glass potpourri dish
- 1 charger (and in our case, a EU adapter plug)
- Instruction manual
- Herbal sample

Prior to receiving our Solo, we had read about the units dimensions, that it was about the size of a small soda can. Of course we had to verify this, and in fact it is just a bit smaller than the size of a Red Bull can the mouthpiece excluded. The vape is quite compact and feels very sturdy. The only plastic parts on the exterior are the buttons and the the part where the LEDs are, which runs onto the base. The Solo looks and feels like it can take a beating.

It is nice to have a spare diffuser tube, cause even though the glass is fairly thick, its still glass.
On the top of the unit sits a small rubber port, which can be opened to attach the diffuser tube (or potpourri dish).

Function

After charging it for some time (impatient as I am I didnt fully charge it, which according to the manufacturer takes 4 hours) it was time to put it to use. Curious to know how long it takes to heat up from idle to heat setting 7 (410F /210C), I used a timer and found out that the Solo only needs 2 minutes and 40 seconds to fully heat up. Quite impressive!

When heating up, the HEAT light flashes, and the heating process is shown by the lights going up from 1 until 7. All in all, operating the unit feels quite intuitive.

Out of the box, the Solo is set to beep when turned on and when pressing any of the buttons. Luckily this rather annoying beeping noise can be disabled by pressing and holding the UP button for a second or two.

When loading the diffuser tube with some ground herb I found it helpful to keep the Solo upside down while connecting the tube to avoid spilling herb. The glass tube easily fits into the heater, a bit too loosely I think. I personally would have preferred a ground glass connection that would hold the mouthpiece a bit tighter, although that would reduce the ability of the glass to rotate. As long as you keep the Solo upright there shouldnt be any problems.

After loading up the glass with herb and switching it on, it is time to see if the Solo can beat its handheld rivals in terms of efficiency.

At temperature setting 6 the taste is great, all flavours are there and the temperature of the inhaled vapor seems to be just right. The hits are thicker than any other portable vaporizer Ive tried, and there is virtually no learning curve, making portable vaporizing about as convenient as it can get.

The tiny holes in the glass stem didn't allow for any herb to pass through, but I could see this happen as one draws faster or when the herb is very finely ground.

Conclusion

The Arizer Solo is everything you could wish for in a battery-powered portable vape, and it is hard to come up with cons, apart from minor flaws such as not being able to use it during charging and the built-in user non-replacable lithium battery. A carrying pouch or bag to protect the glass stem would be a welcome addition and increase the portability even more.

The quality and taste of the vapor produced by the Solo are unparalleled, and the fast heat-up time only adds to this. The well-thought-out design makes it very easy to use.

I personally believe that this ease of use and the impressive battery life make up for its slightly larger size. It is still small enough not to draw unwanted attention, and lets not forget that it is completely silent (provided you turn off the beep).

arizer-solo-vaporizer-black3_0.png

Note: I will be testing the battery life (at different settings) more thoroughly throughout the weekend, so this review is subject to updates.

Samo_T,

August West

Nice Review Samo.....

Yes this vape is everything that people are saying about it that's for sure. I can see investing in the power adapter when that becomes available as I use this alot at home.

August West,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Well, the deed is done ! :D and I ordered my Solo last night from member Fever905 at his site vaporizer-store.net here in Canaduhhh after a couple weeks of back n forth email enquiries resulting in what "I" found to be great & helpful customer service.

So the mail waiting game begins & I eagerly look forward to receiving and using the Solo early to mid next week (if Can Post doesn't mess up as usual to my country box, lol).

Thanks for everyones reviews & comments to help me decide ;)

smokum,

spazo555

Just wanted to thank Rockwise for the sweet carrying case for my Solo. Nice pockets on each side that perfectly hold one glass tube each. Nicely padded inside for the Solo itself and comes with a velcro strap to hold it securely in place. When people ask whats in that black case, I have said my PSP, camera, Ipod + accessories and no one has ever questioned it lol. My solo is named Rorschach(Watchmen) haha because when my homies try it out for the first time or even second time, I always make sure to tell them "If you fuck with Rorschach, he'll fuck with you" most of my friends can't handle this beast of a vape haha this unit is the shit. No in depth review or anything from me. All I can say is that I give it a 10/10 for serving its purpose which I feel is portability, quality of product build/design and vapor production. For me, it's like hitting a PD with better airflow and then exhaling a fat SSV rip with high vape ratio. If you've bin keeping up with the VXC videos, then almost like a mini VXC minus the hydratubes. ;)

spazo555,

max

Out to lunch
JoeFinny said:
Let me just say this vape surpasses the iolite in every way possible.
Except stealth. ;)

spazo555 said:
If you've bin keeping up with the VXC videos, then almost like a mini VXC minus the hydratubes.
Except for restricted air flow on the Solo. The Cloud hits like a bong. :ko:

Kaptan said:
Has anyone tried vapor bonging with one of these yet?
That would most likely take it a little closer to a draw easy big hitter.

max,
max said:
JoeFinny said:
Except stealth. ;)
I hate to break it to you but the only way the iolite becomes stealthy is if I'm driving and pass a cop I'll immediately put it to my head and pretend its a cell phone (did use to actually do this :D), but couldn't use this anywhere I would consider stealth situations because of the butane aroma as well as the EXTREMELY loud hissing noise the unit produces. IMHO I do believe the solo is stealthier than the iolite and if i didn't own the solo I would use my launch box for stealth before my iolite...

Also nice review Samo_T!

JoeFinny,

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
Just got a search notice that the solo is avail on e-bay today for $299 from 3 online sources.

Vaped Ape,

vape4life

Banned for life
Well I eat my words as I have sold my EQ! The Solo has taken over as my primary and ONLY vaporizer now. The only thing I need is a nice glass piece for vapour bonging. Used to have the VripTech Water tool perk but I feel it's too huge for the Solo and want to get away from ice. Any advice on the best glass perk for the Solo?

Also a heads up with hash/concentrates... I guess I was a little careless and put in some bubble hash with no herb sandwhich and it got hot and melted a tiny bit and clogged up the holes a little and hardened. With a little effort, ISO, and turning the unit on to max heat and scraping a little with a metal pointer I was able to completely clean it all and the holes are all perfect. Just wanted to let you all know so you don't make the same mistake (not that it was a huge deal). Eventually i'll remove the 4 philips screws and see what's in there for an overhaul cleaning.

This thing continues to put a massive smile on my face! Soooo portable and discrete!! I do not miss my EQ at all!

Oh yeah, nice to see Rockwise selling the glass stem, a/c wall unit, car charger, and very nicely designed carry case which I will be purchasing very shortly.

vape4life,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I REALLY want this unit to work with concentrates !! but without layering a sandwhich tho.

Hopefully when mine comes I can jerryrig something, but would luv to hear others findings/workings to make it a go.

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
spazo555 said:
Just wanted to thank Rockwise for the sweet carrying case for my Solo. Nice pockets on each side that perfectly hold one glass tube each. Nicely padded inside for the Solo itself and comes with a velcro strap to hold it securely in place. When people ask whats in that black case, I have said my PSP, camera, Ipod + accessories and no one has ever questioned it lol. My solo is named Rorschach(Watchmen) haha because when my homies try it out for the first time or even second time, I always make sure to tell them "If you fuck with Rorschach, he'll fuck with you" most of my friends can't handle this beast of a vape haha this unit is the shit. No in depth review or anything from me. All I can say is that I give it a 10/10 for serving its purpose which I feel is portability, quality of product build/design and vapor production. For me, it's like hitting a PD with better airflow and then exhaling a fat SSV rip with high vape ratio. If you've bin keeping up with the VXC videos, then almost like a mini VXC minus the hydratubes. ;)

In my opinion, the Solo is the best portable avalible but nothing compared to the vxc in vapor density. I think others will be agreeing with me later, because nothing else compares fully on a vapor quality standpoint IMO.

IAmKrazy2,

darkrom

Great Scott!
smokum said:
I REALLY want this unit to work with concentrates !! but without layering a sandwhich tho.

Hopefully when mine comes I can jerryrig something, but would luv to hear others findings/workings to make it a go.

I double layered screens, tossed in a slice of some solid golden hash and enjoyed. Hold the solo upright and inhale lightly. You'd have to suck hash vertically up through TWO screens to get it clogged that way.

I agree without having even used a cloud. With a large chamber (the bong part) it will obviously be far less restrictive due to its overall size as well. I would love a cloud, but I am waiting it out for a while.

darkrom,

max

Out to lunch
JoeFinny said:
max said:
JoeFinny said:
Except stealth. ;)
I hate to break it to you but the only way the iolite becomes stealthy is if I'm driving and pass a cop I'll immediately put it to my head and pretend its a cell phone (did use to actually do this :D), but couldn't use this anywhere I would consider stealth situations because of the butane aroma as well as the EXTREMELY loud hissing noise the unit produces. IMHO I do believe the solo is stealthier than the iolite and if i didn't own the solo I would use my launch box for stealth before my iolite...

Also nice review Samo_T!
I hate to break it to you, but all stealth situations don't require silence, and that's likely the only time the Solo has an edge in stealth. Try putting the Solo in your shirt pocket and vaping with it, hands free. With a short length of tubing, I've done that often with the iolite. As for butane, it's odorless. The additive is what smells, and during operation, assuming you don't have a defective unit, there is no butane additive smell. Only carbon dioxide and water vapor are vented. As for the hissing being extremely loud, that's a matter of opinion and depends largely on the background noise. As for the LB, assuming your hand is large enough to cover the box and bat, it can be very stealthy, but even with the push back ring it can require more attention than the iolite if you load large. There isn't one single portable on the market that's best in all situations, in all regards.

Vaped Ape said:
Just got a search notice that the solo is avail on e-bay today for $299 from 3 online sources.
You don't have to pay that much, and there's no indication those sellers are authorized resellers. Rockwise is, and the price is $269. And if low price is your priority, Vaporizerforweed.net has it for $220.

max,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I think Max hit it on the head, there is not true best vape, and no true best portable vape. But for me, in almost all situations the Solo is best. But, I still got my LB for uber stealth, supeme for big tokes, and a car power inverter for everything else.

IAmKrazy2,

August West

Max is correct when he says there is no one perfect vape for EVERY situation. Iolites are good for certain stealthy situations while the MFLB is better for others. The Solo is a great portable vape for me. I like to be able to use it wherever I am in the house or outside on the patio. I don't have to be stealthy there, just looking for convenience and a quality vaping experience. This little baby does just that. It heats up quick to the temp that works best for you and what your vaping. The amount of herb you use is so tiny for what you get out and the all glass bats make it tastier than ever. As long as the battery can handle my love of this new vape its a real winner IMO.

On the subject of using it for concentrates...I noticed a little residue in the bottom of the heater after a nice chavrati session. I didn't see that it had blocked any of the holes.... but it took some serious iso and effort to get it to come clean. That was the first time I had cleaned the heater in over 2 weeks. Every other time I checked it seemed to be clean and not need it. Guess the lesson is to clean it a little more often. The glass bats clean up easily enough.

August West,

mongrel

i'm gonna add my voice to the chorus of approval! the solo kicks arse. true that there is no "best vape" but by gee the solo comes close. for extended times away from home the iolite is still my best mate because of it's capacity, stealth value and true portability ...but at home being mobile the solo rules. i wish i had shares in arizer!

mongrel,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
So heres my review about this little Solo I received a few weeks ago and have been using daily since.

Efficiency : 9,8/10 This portable is the most conservative portable on the market, period! The bowl will give you very satisfying hits with a log vape quantity load ! And as with the Q and the elbow you could also pack quite a punch in there if you want to. I also consider efficiency is linked to the needed time to reach your desired medication level : THE SOLO SHINES HERE ! You can be really high in the autoshutoff time of 12 mn. And your load will always be evenlly dark brown after the session !

Aesthetics & Ergonomics : 9/10 The black body feels very sturdy, very compact, nice design, feels safe in your hand. 1 of my stems fits snug the other one is loose. I see no real difference in term of airflow and prefer the snug one ! The LED and bottons are well done, easily understandable. The size of the solo body is ok for a pocket (might be a little fat if youre wearing slims) but the stem is a problem in a transport situation A pouch carrying accessoire could be really useful !

Vapor/Flavor : 8,2/10 The quality of the vapor is very impressive. There is a big restriction of the airflow and though it might be a con for a guy like me, I must admit the solo delivers big hits and that the very very tiny 4 air holes have a lot to do with the fact the solo does never create the usual newb caugh reflex commun to a lot of vapor 1st experiences. I have seen that with a lot of my friends, and yes the solos vapor is SMOOTH !
In terms of flavor : Very nice at the beginning but with a very fast flavor decrease ... I think this has to do with the fact theres a continous percolation of the product and the fact stirring is impossible (though you can twist your stem to modify hot air directions on the bowl). So big clouds of decreasing flavor To be noted : when the flavor is neutral, you have NO OTHER FLAVOR (no plastic etc) !

Versatility : 9,2/10 This thing shines here Works great with both concentrates and MJ. In fact I decided to have one stem reserved for each matter ! Direct draw works great on both. I suppose the pot-pourri bowl works though the autoshut-off must be a burden for that purpose, no ? For vapor bonging, the thing works but the air restriction is a con IMO for that particular usage

Easiness to use : 9/10 The solo is easy to use, almost no lurning curve at all, immediate results. The stem does not get hot above the 45 bend. It is very easy to clean : quick iso bath every week for the stems + unscrewing the top and iso brushing of the housing of the bowl. The battery has the BEST autonomy of the market hands down ! Correctly charged, I can get around 8 bowls out of it, and Im talking fairly full bowls! Not beeing able to use it during charge process is a con, as stated previously. Oh, and as any continous percolation modelvapor is escaping from the mouthend of the stemThere is no tap/valve, and thats a pitty !

Effect : 9,3/10 As I Said before, this thing is really efficient and gets you real high with real little ! I believe the restriction has something to do as I try to draw hard(Im sure I get higher, like drinking alcohol with a strawLOL). It will get you were you want (if not more :ko: ) in 12 mn chrono, and your load will be doneGREAT FEATURE !

In conclusion : 9,1/10 ONE OF THE BEST PORTABLE UNITS actually available. VERY conservative, very versatile, incredible autonomy, very well designed & built. Not the most stealthy, but really portable/pocketable, though you will have a similar vapor experience as with a big home vape unit ! The vapor is very pleasant very smooth, and the solo will deliver big cloud of very satisfying vapor. I really think Arizer has a home-run with this unit in the portable vapes field ! I would only add (for that price range):
-A few screens for the bowl (too much particulates in the stem without, better airflow with it). I use the NO2 gauze screens, and give them the bowl shape : they are perfect,, even for concentrates !
-A cleaning tool/a brushwhatever
-A transport case, or at least a stem pouch.
-A tap for the mouthend of the stem. I use the MFLBs batt caps !
-A charger that could be used during vapor session + car adaptor

darco

FLskwat said:
So hes my review about this little Solo I received a few weeks ago and have been using daily since.

:cool: Awesome review! I was wondering if the NO2 screens would be the best fit for the solo and you confirmed it :D thanks!

I am waiting for my Solo to reach me any day now, and I am also ordering an NO2 for portable / car use. FLskwat, I noticed that you have sold you NO2, could you tell me my? My reason to get an NO2 along with the solo is because I think the solo is not really portable in means of preloading it and putting it in the bag, pulling it out and taking a couple of hits and putting it back in the bag. Suppose I have to do this with the solo, I would have to separate the stem and the body to store it back. All this I am presuming though, as I still havent really used the solo.

I was also considering getting those MFLB battery caps to help with this scenario, but I wonder how hot the stem gets just after a small session and if the battery caps would take the heat.

darco,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
darco said:
FLskwat said:
So hes my review about this little Solo I received a few weeks ago and have been using daily since.

:cool: Awesome review! I was wondering if the NO2 screens would be the best fit for the solo and you confirmed it :D thanks!

I am waiting for my Solo to reach me any day now, and I am also ordering an NO2 for portable / car use. FLskwat, I noticed that you have sold you NO2, could you tell me my? My reason to get an NO2 along with the solo is because I think the solo is not really portable in means of preloading it and putting it in the bag, pulling it out and taking a couple of hits and putting it back in the bag. Suppose I have to do this with the solo, I would have to separate the stem and the body to store it back. All this I am presuming though, as I still havent really used the solo.

I was also considering getting those MFLB battery caps to help with this scenario, but I wonder how hot the stem gets just after a small session and if the battery caps would take the heat.

I sold my NO2 to make sure one of my best friends would transit easily to vapor!
You are right about your scenario beeing complicated with the solo. The MF caps are great for preload and to make sure vapor doesn't escape during usage, but it will melt if you appl it on the bowl extremity just after a sesh! The solo & its stem have been conceived for the unit to be the best place the stem can cool down on... Therefore you could store it back with the stem on (if you have one of the snug ones and a bag with a way to store the solo vertically), and voil! ;)

FLskwat,

max

Out to lunch
Really nice review FLskwat. As for your wish list- "A transport case, or at least a stem pouch." I see there's a carrying case for it, selling for $25. Looks like a shaving kit or camera bag. There's a name on the zipper pull. Looks like Piper, but I can't find anything on that name along with carrying cases. Should be any number of appropriate sized cases available to fit this vape. I'm sure we'll be hearing some suggestions from Solo owners down the road.

max,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
max said:
Really nice review FLskwat. As for your wish list- "A transport case, or at least a stem pouch." I see there's a carrying case for it, selling for $25. Looks like a shaving kit or camera bag. There's a name on the zipper pull. Looks like Piper, but I can't find anything on that name along with carrying cases. Should be any number of appropriate sized cases available to fit this vape. I'm sure we'll be hearing some suggestions from Solo owners down the road.

Thanks Max and LoL cause I have been lurking on my Braun Serie 3 shaver's carrying case and wondering... :D My point was more: for 300 bux, all my wish list bulletpoints should be included/designed in the package IMO. I have all the necessary accessories in my vape arsenal, just thinking for the final customer! ;)

FLskwat,
Reactions: turk

max

Out to lunch
My point was more: for 300 bux, all my wish list bulletpoints should be included/designed in the package IMO.
Yeah I got that, and you may be right. Judging from some of the lowball selling prices we've seen on the Extreme, there's a good markup on that one, and the same may be true for the Solo. However, a high selling price doesn't always indicate a big profit margin. You can't market a product based on how much profit you'd like to make. You have to price it according to the competition and how much people are willing to pay for a particular type of product. And I also think that $300 is a significant price point in the vape market. Go above that and it's tough to get volume sales.

max,

darco

FLskwat said:
I sold my NO2 to make sure one of my best friends would transit easily to vapor!
You are right about your scenario beeing complicated with the solo. The MF caps are great for preload and to make sure vapor doesn't escape during usage, but it will melt if you appl it on the bowl extremity just after a sesh! The solo & its stem have been conceived for the unit to be the best place the stem can cool down on... Therefore you could store it back with the stem on (if you have one of the snug ones and a bag with a way to store the solo vertically), and voil! ;)

Hmm so the NO2 went for a noble cause :)

I dont know, I may not be comfortable in putting in the solo with the stem into my bag.... maybe I'll need to invent a case or something. The case that I can see at Rockwise also requires you to separate the stem from the device, so that may not work well for me either.

Do all of you solo users completely consume the entire load within the 12 mins session? If not, do you actually empty the ABV and refill it for your second session? or let the herbs be inside the tube and just restart the device later?

darco,

poonman

very nice review FLskwat
can u tell me if the Extreme Q can be used as a portable
by that i mean a special adaptor to plug into a car lighter ?

thank u

poonman,

poonman

hello Mr. darco
so r u enjoying ur new solo ?
n would u give the NO2 a good endorsement ?
i'm really lookin for a good portable
any help would be great :)

mflb and VC

poonman,
Top Bottom